Lucinda Williams Fans ? Come ON...

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought an issue of ND this morning - first time I have been able to grab it at a store for years. There is an ad for this album on the back cover - I wonder why she went with an old Annie Leibowitz photo? I think that photo was taken several years ago.

I started buying ND around issue number 3 - I think. Then, the place closed were I bought it - sometime in 2001 - I sent in a subscription and never heard back from them. I had given up on music magazines a couple months ago - Harp being the last one I was buying. So I am glad to have something to read once again.

I see they are now slick and in colour.

You have them starting with issue number 1 - don't you?

yea, they are and I do; but it is not as slick as Harp and Paste. The articles are still a little rough around the edges and the opinions are slightly off the mainstream. I still like the mag and find that when I read the reviews I actually want to buy stuff I read about.

LouieB

yea, they are and I do; but it is not as slick as Harp and Paste. The articles are still a little rough around the edges and the opinions are slightly off the mainstream. I still like the mag and find that when I read the reviews I actually want to buy stuff I read about.

LouieB

I like it because they have articles longer than one page - which seems to be a rarity these days.

i bought 'paste' for the first time & found it to be quite ... dull. :blink maybe the name should have tipped me off.

I hate to bash my hometown magazine, but I agree. I've been disappointed with Paste every time I've read it.

I got "West" over the weekend. Listened to it once, thought it was good, but has some of her annoying rap in spots. I might be giving it more credit than it's due based on how much I like her backing musicians on this one.

I got "West" over the weekend. Listened to it once, thought it was good, but has some of her annoying rap in spots. I might be giving it more credit than it's due based on how much I like her backing musicians on this one.
See my comments above; the rapping coudn't be more irritating the the backing musicians are not used to good effect either.

LouieB

See my comments above; the rapping coudn't be more irritating the the backing musicians are not used to good effect either.

LouieB

I disagree. Now that I've had more time to sit with this disc, I think I may like it more than any other Lucinda release. To each his own I guess, but I am still shocked by the negativity by some here regarding "West". Almost as much as the negativity towards Dylan's last masterpiece, "Modern Times".

Almost as much as the negativity towards Dylan's last masterpiece, "Modern Times".

"Masterpiece" in my mind means that every song should be pretty much flawless. None of the recent 3 Dylan albums are perfect:

To Make You Feel My Love

Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum

Beyond The Horizon

To name a few.

West is far from flawless. It's not a 3.2 or whatever Pitchfork or the NYT gave it, but it's definitely and amalgamation of her past two releases, with little to no actual innovation, lyrical or musical. It is very similar to Modern Times, in my view.

Either way, I think that West is like a twin to Modern Times.

Everything is a masterpiece. That's how it works now. Also, everybody is brilliant. Welcome to 2007, where superlatives are tossed around with such frequency that they've become virtually meaningless.

I still think your comparison is right on the money. Not only are MT and West sonic retreads, but the level of songcraft on both pale in comparison to what directly preceded each release. When the songs aren't about bullshit, they're just tired and uninspired.

Everything is a masterpiece. That's how it works now. Also, everybody is brilliant. Welcome to 2007, where superlatives are tossed around with such frequency that they've become virtually meaningless.

I agree. But it works the other way, too--when something is less than stellar or mediocre or relatively disappointing, suddenly it's described as a steaming pile of crap. The irony is how extreme reactions that rely on hyperbole to sound convincing actually end up sacrificing accuracy, and by extension, credibility. Truth is, almost everything falls somewhere in the midrange.

Very few albums are masterpieces. But very few are execrable, too.