Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Evan Sank

This is finally out there, maybe my most anticipated album of 2007 (and that's saying a lot with this year's music).

I'm predisposed to worship anything Isaac does, but this is the best release I've heard so far this year, and quite possibly in a really long time, better than anything in 2006. Sounds more like vintage MM than Good News, every song through was really on solid on first listen. I really liked Dashboard already, but there are so many songs on here that surpass that and just blew me away the first time I heard them.

Only on 2nd listen, but I'm gonna be playing this really heavy and get back with more reactions.

so happy right now to have this :music

I like it so far. I listened to the download last night once through and Florida, People as Places as People, and Missed the Boat stick out for me. I never liked the Smiths, The The, etc., but the addition of Johnny Marr adds a nice bit to the feel here.

The end of Parting of the Sensory :dribble

Missed the Boat and Little Motel are beeeaautiful.

So many rocking songs...listening to Fly Trapped in a Jar and it's classic Isaac ranting.

Florida even has Other People's Lives-type harmonics faintly in the back and Spitting Venom has Isaac bending harmonics like the old days. And now I am hearing some in Education (probably my least fave so far but nonetheless still a solid tune).

initial reaction: it sucks

i can't understand a word he says in any song except dashboard... i'll need to have the lyrics in front of me to really get into this album

i've read a couple of reviews that say this album is accessible, i don't really think it is accessible at all. maybe one of their least accessible albums... it's definitely an album that needs to grow on you.

i guess that could be a good thing though if he's throwing back to his previous style of just ranting rather than making an even more mainstream album than Good news... . i can't help but thinking dashboard was written solely for the purpose of having a catchy single to release to the radio stations. it's not like any of the other songs on the album (of what i've heard so far). i can see some executive getting the initial album, listening to it, and asking "where is float on?" and then demanding isaac go back and write a catchy pop song suitable for radio play

I love that Isaac is back to his old ranting ways, just listen to his cackles on the opener, it's sick.

I dunno why you can't understand what he is saying, on songs like Missed the Boat the vocals are pretty clear. Did you get the non-transcode oink version or the earlier leak?

I love that Isaac is back to his old ranting ways, just listen to his cackles on the opener, it's sick.

I dunno why you can't understand what he is saying, on songs like Missed the Boat the vocals are pretty clear. Did you get the non-transcode oink version or the earlier leak?

i dunno... i got it off some you send it link

i can't help but thinking dashboard was written solely for the purpose of having a catchy single to release to the radio stations. it's not like any of the other songs on the album (of what i've heard so far). i can see some executive getting the initial album, listening to it, and asking "where is float on?" and then demanding isaac go back and write a catchy pop song suitable for radio play

Are you kidding me? I think this is their poppiest album to date. have you not listened to "Fire it Up", "Florida", "Missed the Boat", "We've Got Everything" or "People as Places as Poeple"? They are all filled with hooks. I am sure Fire it Up will be the second single.

My only big complaint is I feel it is a little over-produced but the songs are so damn good that I think that it outshines the few lowpoints.

Are you kidding me? I think this is their poppiest album to date. have you not listened to "Fire it Up", "Florida", "Missed the Boat", "We've Got Everything" or "People as Places as Poeple"? They are all filled with hooks. I am sure Fire it Up will be the second single.

My only big complaint is I feel it is a little over-produced but the songs are so damn good that I think that it outshines the few lowpoints.

I have listened to them... Florida, for example, if full of Isaac ranting, i wouldn't consider that traditional pop music. You have a point on Fire It Up, but judging from the reaction of people on a different forum who aren't music snobs like we are here, almost no one liked the album. In fact, there were about 15 pages of negative replies. Using them as a sort of measuring stick for the common person in america, i'd say that this album really isn't that accessible as they obviously did not get it the first time they listened to it and filled the thread with "Modest Mouse sucks" and "this is ungodly awful" replies.

This album improves greatly with a 2nd listen, btw.

i didnt like it the first listen, the second listen was a bit better and then the third listen it went back to sucking balls. i am all about artists advancing and changing up their sound but this direction doesnt suit isaac very well at least to my ears. i dont even mind that they have gone in a more "dancey" direction, but the songs arent good there in lies the problem.

this is really an amazing album. i've really been excited about this and its ten times better than i expected. i'm so glad johnny marr fits in so well. when i first heard that he was joining modest mouse i was estatic.

for all you people looking for it, check isohunt.

You have a point on Fire It Up, but judging from the reaction of people on a different forum who aren't music snobs like we are here, almost no one liked the album. In fact, there were about 15 pages of negative replies.

The majority of people on atease love it, but that's one of the only other music forums I frequent.

i can't help but thinking dashboard was written solely for the purpose of having a catchy single to release to the radio stations.

That reminds me of Summerteeth's "Can't Stand It".

i can't help but thinking dashboard was written solely for the purpose of having a catchy single to release to the radio stations.

i can see that, but i think its them trying to help johnny fit in better, by making a poppier song like he was used to with the smiths.

if you know how to use torrents, just search on isohunt. its got over 100 seeds.

ok. Thanks. I'm perfectly capable of getting torrents. I'm just not a purist. I'm way more into convenience: mp3s. I should spend some time though, there's probably other stuff on there that I want too.