Have iPod will travel?

In the early planning stages of what may be a epic roadtrip, it dawns on me that I may be better served by an MP3 player than toting 60 pounds of CDs around with me. I want seamless car connectivity (through the radio?) and charging, and enough room for at least most of my CDs. 2 gigs, 4 gigs, 6 gigs -- how many gigs is gigs enough?

Whatchoo got and how do you like it? I've already got a line on free iPod accessories.

It depends on how big your cd collection is, but I can't imagine anything under a 30 gig for a long road trip. And also see if you can find a way to directly connect to your car stereo (via 1/8th to RCA or whatever) rather than going through the radio.

The 30G and 80GB come with really vivid video which is a plus. I have a 20GB and it's filled up with about 4800 songs.

I use an iTrip and have had very few problems during travel. You will hit spots where the radio frequency is tough to adjust. A spare cd or three will fix that problem. Optimally, you want an audio jack for your iPod. Depending on the year of your car, they can be installed fairly inexpensively.

I have a 60GB (My boyfriend. He vibrates and everything), which is 3/4 filled. I tried the iTrip, which made me want to throw the rig out the window. Fortunately, my CD/radio is new enough to have an auxillary plug to which I had my mechanic affix a 1/8 RCA connection wire that runs from behind my dash, out to my iPod. I also have hooked up a power supply to my lighter. All of this I purchased from the fine folks at Crutchfield.

A bit inelegant, I'll admit, but I carry my music library in a pack of Marlboro Lights in a box.

IMG_1901.jpg

I've got a 60 and I have been deleting tons of stuff to add new things for about 5 months. maybe more. about 3 of those months I've been feeling bad about deleting most of it. I want to get an 80 gig soon. But I dunno most people don't need that much. I'm just the type of person that gets discographies of artists I like. I think I have about 70 Wilco albums. Most of which or ofcourse concerts but yeah that will take up quite a bit of room...

I have a 20gb which doesn't even hold half of my music, but it does me good. I'm not in any kind of place financially to buy a new one (Christmas is only 9 months away!), so I like it. I just have an auxillary port for my car and then I have a cheap charger for the phone plug. I love my set up, crystal clear sound.

as suggested your best bet is to try and get it hardwired in. While the iTrip may work, sometimes it doesn't, and in my experience it's very bad in the capital district. as in major static. In fact, it's the main reason I got the ideck or whatever it's called. my frequent trips through your fine area had my scrambling for radio stations because the itrip signal kept getting stepped on.

I like a girl with all the answers - and links! Did you install it yourself?

I considered it. I installed new speakers last year. This involved taking apart my dashboard, and I didn't think I needed to have that experience.

The piece that is problematic is that the player in your car must have an auxillary plug in, and those are usually found on the back of the player. My player was an aftermarket Alpine that I purchased for the Jeep, so I had the specs for it and knew it had a plug in. I suspect that unless you have the specs for your player, you won't know the answer to that until it's out of your dash.

The only danger in all of this for me is driving and finding what I want to listen to on the iPod. The way you drive and read a map simultaneously, you should have no problem. :thumbup

the nice people at Crutchfield showed me exactly what I need to (have someone else) do for my model car's factory installed system. Voila!