Have iPod will travel?

I'd say a 30 gig iPod would do just fine for your collection! I have about 20 gigs of my 60 filled up. Roughly 4000 songs, but some of mine are in a high quality than the AAC encoding that's reccomended.

I bought one of those iTrips, and it works really well for me. Though really I bought it because my friend works in a record store, and he gave me a good deal. So far it's been on 2 road trips with me (to Knoxville and Atlanta) and it's done well.

And :omg ipods can vibrate?

While i hear the whole bigger is better argument I'd posit a different point of view. Firstly, HD based players are inherently flawed in that HDs have a limited lifespan. Personally I've yet to see a HD based iPod live longer than 2 years. The spawn's just died (under two years) and he really doesn't even use it all that much. My new philosophy on iPods is buy the cheapest one possible with as close to capacity you really need. They're disposable and the whole latest and greatest philosophy only lands a more expensive unit in the landfill once its Steve Jobs determined lifespan is up. The nano is a flash drive player (no moving parts) and in my experience so far it's way more bombproof than the iPod. Plus the 8 GB I have holds 1500 songs at bitrates that will keep every one but A-man and the hardest core oinksters happy.

First of all, I'm sorry because I just basically scanned all of the posts, so forgive me if I'm repeating some info, but....

Regardless of how big your CD collection is, my advice to you is to get the 80GB iPod. Your CD collection will always grow, so why not get the biggest one available to avoid having to replace it sooner than later?

For reference (not a "dig me" note) I've got the 80GB one, and I'm up to 12,230 songs, and I've still got 11.23 GB free. I now struggle to find stuff to put on there anymore, plus I've got plenty I can dump, so I don't need to worry about buying another one anytime soon.

Now, for your situation: I didn't see you say exactly what sort of car stereo you had, but what you can do is just go to eBay and type in the model number and "iPod" or something like that, and you can see if there's any sort of connector. It's surprisingly really easy. I was able to find an adapter that I was able to plug into my stereo (I even did it myself, and I'm a retard when it comes to working with cars) and it even charges my iPod.

You can also get an iPod ready car stereo for like $150 at Best Buy. I saw somebody mention Crutchfield above, and that's an AWESOME source of stuff as well. If you really want to geek your car up, you can get a stereo that your iPod will actually link into and all the info will be displayed on the screen.

There are many options, and they're all easy. Since you don't have an iPod just yet (at least I didn't see that you mentioned it yet) it might all be a big pricey to start with, but it'll change your life. Believe it!!

I have a 60GB iAudio X5. My main issue with having that much storage is that I can never decide what I want to hear, because there are simply too many choices. (It's even worse when I stand in front of my CD shelves ... I can burn ten minutes just making a decision.)

I think my next purchase will probably be a smaller Flash memory-based player (hopefully at least 8 GB), so I can just keep on it all the stuff I'm listening to most at that moment.

Regarding iPods in the car, definitely hard-wire if you can. I never considered myself an audiophile until I started messing with FM transmitters. I first had an XtremeMac AirPlay, which emitted a constant high-pitch squeal (imagine a tiny dentist's drill playing in the background of all your favorite songs :stunned ). The iTrip was somewhat better--no squeal--but was noticeably lo-fi and sometimes hard to keep a signal. My solution to the problem was somewhat expensive: buy a new car.

On a side note, you guys are scaring the crap out of me with your talk of the deadly 2 year mark for iPods. My 60GB Photo iPod is rapidly nearing its 2 yr anniversary. Eek! (mental note: be sure everything is backed up regularly) :blink

I have a 60GB iAudio X5. My main issue with having that much storage is that I can never decide what I want to hear, because there are simply too many choices. (It's even worse when I stand in front of my CD shelves ... I can burn ten minutes just making a decision.)

I think my next purchase will probably be a smaller Flash memory-based player (hopefully at least 8 GB), so I can just keep on it all the stuff I'm listening to most at that moment.

Screw that! Just make a playlist, then put it on shuffle. It's the same thing, just free.

I've also discovered that putting my iPod on shuffle is the greatest radio station of all time. I listen to songs I'd never listen to otherwise and it's pretty sweet. Nothing like having Ghostface Killah followed by Hank Williams.

On a side note, you guys are scaring the crap out of me with your talk of the deadly 2 year mark for iPods. My 60GB Photo iPod is rapidly nearing its 2 yr anniversary. Eek! (mental note: be sure everything is backed up regularly) :blink

Mine is HEAVILY used (don't really leave the house without it), and it's 3 years old. Gary's point is valid but there is really no reason that they couldn't last 5 years or more. I was planning on getting a new one this year. I have everything on 2 hard drives as back-up though.

Screw that! Just make a playlist, then put it on shuffle. It's the same thing, just free.

I've also discovered that putting my iPod on shuffle is the greatest radio station of all time.

Yeah, that's what I do with my massive external drive at work ... one of the reasons I've been showing up a lot lately in the "shuffle up and deal" thread.