Son Volt - The Search

okay, finally listened to this and my first impression is that the search is completly derivative, uninspired, and evidence of farrar totally running out of steam. fist, farrar can't play piano. in addition, the keyboard player has no business being in son volt. he's a cheese ball! the songs are all unmemorable, unlike okemah which was at least 3/4 great! i just do not get the reviews this album is getting on this site. farrar is just another example of bands/artists putting out loads of mediocrity while creative bands like wilco put out a textured, well produced, well written album once every three years.

Hit play and try again....

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

farrar is just another example of bands/artists putting out loads of mediocrity while creative bands like wilco put out a textured, well produced, well written album once every three years.

Um, since the breakup of Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt has put out five albums (and two Jay solo albums & Gob Iron), while Wilco has put out six albums (seven if you count Being There as two), plus the two Mermaid Avenues (as well as the Chelsea Walls soundtrack, and Golden Smog and Loose Fur stuff). I don't get your loads of mediocrity v. one album every three years, or is that not supposed to be a comparison of quantity v. quality?

I dunno, I liked The Search, probably at least as much as Sky Blue Sky, if not more. What do you find it derivative of? It's certainly different enough from previous Son Volt albums...

I don't know much, I just know what I like, and The Search agreed with me right away. Okemah took a little getting used to. What's wrong with adding keyboards to the band? I find that the Leslie organ sound in particular really enhances some of the songs. Derivative? Not really seeing that, unless you count the fact that Jay's voice sounds a bit like Neil Young on some of the songs, or that the piano figures sound kind of Beatle-ish in places. I've never been one for comparing Son Volt with Wilco. They went their separate ways and have pursued different musical agendas, and we're all richer for it.