Son Volt - The Search

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Son Volt will be performing "The Picture" on NBC's Late Night with Conan O'Brien tonight (Thursday, March 1).

Thanks for reminding me! :thumbup I have enough time to get ummm..'ready' to watch.

Apropos of nought....the nicest musician I ever met was Willy Vlautin from Richmond Fontaine. He sat and drank and chatted with us at our table after their gig a week or so back. Top notch dude.

Ilove these guys!!! they play SLC all the time and not SPOKANE

-Robert.

Bust out the wig and the ether.

Oh God, not the ether!!! :omg

signed, "Just another cleric with a bad heart" :D

i have heard people comment that the first half of the record is weak. circadian rythm, underground dream, action and the search are all great imo. when they played these at the free concert in philly all 4 were awesome.

just listening now. Isn't it really strange that both Jay and Jeff have falsetto portions in their new songs?

As a rule, grown men should avoid this

Please let the DBT guys know. :huh

Great record. The first side is airtight, and side two has its share of gems, too (notably "Methamphetamine" and "L-Train"). It's one hell of a lot better than what we've heard of the new Wilco, anyway, which isn't a side of the fence I ever thought I'd see myself on.

Never thought I'd agree with your sorry, trolling, good-for nothing ass, but, the Search is hitting the button much more than Sky Blue Sky.

Also haven't said anything remotely like that since Trace kicked AM's behind.

just got this album earlier today...

with the exception of track 3, i really like this stuff. I am on my fourth listen (running many errands in the car).

it was pretty weird, cos i was walking (all by myself) around with my earbuds in, got into the truck, and up popped son volt on the car audio.

how's that for jay vs. jeff?

this disc is a masterpiece!!!!! i really think everyone here would enjoy it.

jay farrar's best work, period. yes that includes uncle tupelo and trace. :thumbup

that's setting up some expectations.

i have drawn the line with this one and am not going out buying it blindly (or deaf-ly as it may be). the single with the horns did nothing to excite me so i'll check out the son volt site and try some streaming given the high praise.

In fairness, the horns are only on one track and I think it kinda works. It was a bit strange at first but it works for the song.

I heard that on the radio the other night and kinda dug it.

LouieB

Can anything be good anymore without being a masterpiece? Or a masterpiece with 4 exclamation points after it? :hmm

can you post anything on this forum without someone being an as*hole :hmm ????

maybe four question marks will suit you better.

can you post anything on this forum without someone being an as*hole :hmm ????

maybe four question marks will suit you better.

Yeah, I suppose I was being a jerk. Put that on me, not everyone else here though. I am just stunned that you'd call this album a masterpiece. Thats a pretty heavy word to throw around about an album that came out yesterday. I don't like it all that much, fwiw, but I can understand that maybe you do. But, a masterpiece? Really?

I think Methampetamine is a killer tune, but most of the rest of the album falls a bit flat for me.