Son Volt - The Search

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farrar didn't lose a chief songwriter (yes, a *chief* songwriter as noted on Wilco's two best albums) and forge ahead.

The credits you posted undermine your own argument.

If Tweedy wrote all the lyrics, and Bennett is listed as a co-writer for the music only, that does not make him a "chief" songwriter. That makes him a collaborator, but the songs are still Tweedy's, because he wrote the lyrics and probably at least half of the music. IT'S INCREDIBLY SIMPLE LOGIC, to quote you.

You obviously don't understand the meaning of the word "chief." Allow me to assist (emphasis mine):

From Dictionary.com:

adjective

-- highest in rank or authority.

-- most important; principal.

From American Heritage Dictionary:

adj.

-- Highest in rank, authority, or office.

-- Most important or influential.

From WordNet:

adjective

1. most important element

Now, if you still want to sit there and claim that you believe Bennett was a "chief" songwriter, even though he's responsible for exactly NONE of the lyrics and an indeterminate percentage (though probably less than 50%) of the music, you go right ahead. But you're wrong, wrong, wrong, couldn't be more wrong.

I'd also like to throw in the fact that I am absolultely certain that no member of Son Volt ever contributed a guitar lick or a bridge or a fill by virtue of the fact that Jay Farrar never listed that member in the songwriting credits. Absolutely every word and every note was written and performed by Jay Farrar.

I'd also like to throw in the fact that I am absolultely certain that no member of Son Volt ever contributed a guitar lick or a bridge or a fill by virtue of the fact that Jay Farrar never listed that member in the songwriting credits. Absolutely every word and every note was written and performed by Jay Farrar.

One time I was with Farrar in the back of a pickup truck, along with a live deer. Farrar goes up to the deer and says, "I'm Jay Farrar! SAY IT!" Then he manipulates the deer's lips in such a way as to make it say, "Jayfarrar"... It wasn't exactly like it, but it was pretty good for a deer!

pretty good for a deer!

:thumbup

Seriously though. Do songwriting credits tell us anything other than that Jeff Tweedy is more willing to give credit where its due? Does anyone really think the Boquist brothers had nothing at all to do with Trace?

Maybe the reason Jay can't match Trace is because he lost some *chief* songwriters? Maybe?

The credits you posted undermine your own argument.

If Tweedy wrote all the lyrics, and Bennett is listed as a co-writer for the music only, that does not make him a "chief" songwriter. That makes him a collaborator, but the songs are still Tweedy's, because he wrote the lyrics and probably at least half of the music. IT'S INCREDIBLY SIMPLE LOGIC, to quote you.

You obviously don't understand the meaning of the word "chief." Allow me to assist (emphasis mine):

From Dictionary.com:

adjective

-- highest in rank or authority.

-- most important; principal.

From American Heritage Dictionary:

adj.

-- Highest in rank, authority, or office.

-- Most important or influential.

From WordNet:

adjective

1. most important element

Now, if you still want to sit there and claim that you believe Bennett was a "chief" songwriter, even though he's responsible for exactly NONE of the lyrics and an indeterminate percentage (though probably less than 50%) of the music, you go right ahead. But you're wrong, wrong, wrong, couldn't be more wrong.

Writing 50% of the music for Wilco's best two albums doesn't make Bennet a chief songwriter?

lol. Put down the crack pipe, son.

Writing 50% of the music for Wilco's best two albums doesn't make Bennet a chief songwriter?

lol. Put down the crack pipe, son.

No, it doesn't. You obviously don't understand English. Go away now, you fucking troll.

i'm liking about 3/4 of the album & meth is certainly one of farrar's best. but once i heard the song that begins with the horn section (can't remember the title at the moment), it sounds just like beulah. anyone with me on this?

We JUST got this yesterday and listened to it twice. Usually, it takes me a few more listens to that to really like a new CD, but I really liked this one after the second listen. I like "Adrenaline and Heresy". I think it's much more listenable than Okemah. Our tickets for the April 10th Vic show just came UPS this morning. Looking forward to it...

• 1 month later...

I just got The Search, and after one listen, I have to say I liked it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I caught the show Friday in Atlanta.

Great show and heavy on "The Search" which is fine with me as I

am really liking the new album.

During the encore they did The Stones "19th Nervous Breakdown", do they

play this tune much?

Anway looking forward to tonights SV show in Chattanooga. Opening band

is "The High Strung". The singer (assume songwriter) never did much for me

but his geetar playing is alright. The bass player and drummer simply rock.

Great little trio, imo.

I caught the show Friday in Atlanta.

Great show and heavy on "The Search" which is fine with me as I

am really liking the new album.

During the encore they did The Stones "19th Nervous Breakdown", do they

play this tune much?

Seems to be a new addition, or a recent one at any case. They have been doing the Stones track Bitch and Pocahontas as well. Jay always picks great covers though.

I'm going to see Son Volt at the 9:30 club in D.C. tomorrow night -- anyone else going?

OK, so no takers from this board, but there were plenty of people at the 9:30 show -- the place seemed pretty packed. It was hard to move around. It was difficult to gauge how many folks were there specifically to see Son Volt, and how many were just out for the evening. Lots of times you can tell the fans at a show because they're singing along, but SV's lyrics are so inscrutable and oftentimes unintelligible that singing along isn't easy. I consider myself a fan, and I can sing along with only maybe 20% of most SV songs. (I'm not a big lyrics person anyway.)

All that aside, the show was excellent. They concentrated heavily on material from The Search and Okemah. The only oldies I recall hearing were "Tear Stained Eye", "Windfall", and "Chickamauga". Just about everything was uptempo and rocked out, which made all the new material sound very exciting, but I didn't think it really did justice to "Highways and Cigarettes." They opened the show with "Satellite" from The Search, and closed with a cover of the Stones' "Bitch". They played two encores, about an hour and 45 minutes total.

Overall I'd give the show a big thumbs up. The band rocked hard and sounded tight, the new songs sounded great, the crowd was enthusiastic, and Jay even smiled once or twice.

closed with a cover of the Stones' "Bitch"

I am a big fan of Jay's choice in covers. The last time I saw them they encored with I'm Not Like Everybody Else by the Kinks. It was awesome.