Son Volt - The Search

Stangely enough, I have almost no desire to hear this record.

Give Jay his dues. He's got a real winner with this one. Loved it from the 1st time I listened. Can't wait to see the Chicago show.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't get into this all that much. Jay in falsetto just isn't getting easier to stomach. And those darn horns on the second track. They just feel so -- I dont know -- predictable? "Who the hell is Dow Jones anyway?" Eeek. Are Action and L Train the same song?

The highs are high without doubt (e.g., Methampetamine), but this feels like a very uneven effort to me. Bums me out because I love me some Son Volt. I won't go so far to say this is the last time SV gets my dollar, but I think I am ready to put this album in the disappointed bucket.

I'm liking this record.... alot as a matter of fact. I find it strange that so many, not all (not you, of course!), expect a resuscitation of Trace, Straightaways, WST and are disappointed that it's not that at all. I agree with those that say that the name should have been retired.....branding what it is and all, because this is not your post-Tupelo SV.

I think this record is a departure from Okemah.....not a complete one. I don't think this record is boring at all. It's solid. I've no buyer's remorse.

I'm liking this record.... alot as a matter of fact. I find it strange that so many, not all (not you, of course!), expect a resuscitation of Trace, Straightaways, WST and are disappointed that it's not that at all. I agree with those that say that the name should have been retired.....branding what it is and all, because this is not your post-Tupelo SV.

Actually, Farrar has more right keeping the Son Volt name than Tweedy does the Wilco name.

I'm liking this record.... alot as a matter of fact. I find it strange that so many, not all (not you, of course!), expect a resuscitation of Trace, Straightaways, WST and are disappointed that it's not that at all.

Good point. It's funny how some here have no problem with Wilco evolving yet expect Jay to rewrite Windfall and Tear Stained Eye over and over.

I find it strange that so many, not all (not you, of course!), expect a resuscitation of Trace, Straightaways, WST and are disappointed that it's not that at all.

Hail, hail! I've always thought that Straightaways was a rehash of Trace, only without a pulse. That's why it's my least favourite of Jay's post-Tupelo records. Trace, Death Songs for the Living and The Search are probably my faves, in that order.

Actually, Farrar has more right keeping the Son Volt name than Tweedy does the Wilco name.

I have to be the dumb guy who asks why. Jay's down to one original Son Volt member - himself - whereas Jeff can count himself and John over in Wilco.

Good point. It's funny how some here have no problem with Wilco evolving yet expect Jay to rewrite Windfall and Tear Stained Eye over and over.

Musically, I dig a lot of the evolution. Lyrically and vocally, it leaves me wanting more, or, in the case of Jay's vocals, less.

Farrar has an extremely limited range of where he sounds good and near-falsetto isn't in it. When he strives for those high notes, it sounds terrible in about 95% of the instances he tries it in and ruins what, for me, was at least a decent song up to that point. Also, as I said in my prior post, lyrically it's really kinda ho-hum on this album for Jay. Lately, he's lost a lot of steam in the lyrics department (I don't blame him after writing music this long) but the constant political/society mumbo jumbo he constantly turns to has become stale to me.

The album isn't completely void of redeeming qualities though, and maybe because the last effort was a total step up from the solo work I was expecting more, but there are a few good tracks that I'll probably come back to repeatedly, even if I discard the rest of the album entirely.

And as for the Wilco/Son Volt name deal...in Jeff's case, I guess cuz it was a gradual change I've kind of slowly accepted it. With Jay, it was a sudden, one-time deal really. In any case, there's no going back on it now and we have gotten some good tunes out of the new SV.

Really? Last I checked there was more than one person from the original Wilco lineup still in the band. With SV, it's just Jay.

edit: aaaaand the Maker beat me to it.

Really? Last I checked there was more than one person from the original Wilco lineup still in the band. With SV, it's just Jay.

edit: aaaaand the Maker beat me to it.

That means nothing. What does mean something is writing credits. Jay has always had the Son Volt writing credits soley to himself. It was always truly his act. Wilco had another chief songwriter involved in the bands best two albums who is no longer with the band.

That means nothing. What does mean something is writing credits. Jay has always had the Son Volt writing credits soley to himself. It was always truly his act. Wilco had another chief songwriter involved in the bands best two albums who is no longer with the band.

Jay Bennett is not a founding member of Wilco, and has no right to the name. Wilco is, and always has been, Jeff's band, no matter how much he and Jay collaborated.

No, that means nothing. Songwriting credits aren't an accurate measure of band members' contributions. How many Lennon/McCartney songs were written by only one of those guys?

Bennett definitely made major contributions, but it was still Tweedy's band.

Wilco "wins" (not that this is a competition) by virtue of its two original members.

Jay Bennett is not a founding member of Wilco, and has no right to the name. Wilco is, and always has been, Jeff's band, no matter how much he and Jay collaborated.

That's not my point. My point is Jay has more logical right to keeping the Son Volt name than Tweedy does the Wilco name since Farrar owns all the writing credits for Son Volt, whereas Wilco's best records were crafted 40-50% by a chief songwriter who is no longer with the band.

That's not my point. My point is Jay has more logical right to keeping the Son Volt name than Tweedy does the Wilco name since Farrar owns all the writing credits for Son Volt, whereas Wilco's best records were crafted 40-50% by a chief songwriter who is no longer with the band.

Great. You have a point, and I have a point. I choose to agree with my own point and disregard yours. You choose to agree with your point and disregard mine. It's ultimately immaterial, since Jay Farrar is still recording as Son Volt and Jeff Tweedy is still recording as Wilco. I'm a big fan of Jay Bennett, but I don't think he has any claim to the Wilco name any more than I think Glenn or Nels do, despite the fact that they clearly have an impact on Wilco's sound. Wilco = Jeff for better or worse. If you don't think he should be allowed to use the name, you probably ought to send him a strongly worded email. That's what I'd do. If you can't find his email address, I find that a stongly worded letter sent to the band's management can be just as, if not more, effective.

This is tortured logic. Also, it's just flat-out inaccurate to call Bennett a "chief" songwriter in any Wilco context.

I don't see why you even care about this -- I mean, what a completely stupid argument -- but I will also reiterate my earlier point that trying to make this argument based on songwriting credits is meaningless.

OK, I originally came in here because I had my own 2-cents to add about "The Search."

I just listened to the first half and I really really like it. I have to admit to not owning Trace, having never been a Son Volt fan, but I did enjoy most of Okemah last year, and SV live was completely amazing (but much too loud!).

So I'm totally looking forward to the show with Jason Isbell coming up. :rock Me and my earplugs, that is.

SV live was completely amazing (but much too loud!).

They are really loud, I will be bring ear plugs this time. Sadly we don't get Jason in Boulder but Magnolia EC, not a bad thing but not Jason. Last year Big Daddy Porkchop opened for Son Volt, I think that was his name, totally badass blues guitarist. I wish he was opening again.

This is tortured logic. Also, it's just flat-out inaccurate to call Bennett a "chief" songwriter in any Wilco context.

Woah son, put down the crack pipe.....

Summerteeth credits:

"Can't Stand It" (Tweedy/Bennett)