Son Volt on Conan

I stayed up for it. Wasn't bad, tho it was funny seeing Jay just standing there all stone-faced, with his bandmates rockin' out all 'kewl'...specially the electric guitar play. He had it strung all low and was dancing around...weeee-hah.

Course I could've just been over-tired and thought it was amusing.

I can't believe I forgot to record this.

I remembered to and just watched it. I liked it a lot. The horns were a real nice touch. As was the Ryan Adams imposter on the guitar to Farrar's right.

Good. Maybe I can bounce them off your big fucking forehead.
Do not use a peanut, a peanut goes rogue, you don't know where a peanut's gonna go.
I stayed up for it. Wasn't bad, tho it was funny seeing Jay just standing there all stone-faced, with his bandmates rockin' out all 'kewl'...specially the electric guitar play. He had it strung all low and was dancing around...weeee-hah.

Course I could've just been over-tired and thought it was amusing.

Jay only stood still when he was singing, during the vocal breaks and towards the end he was actually bopping around. His movements were very Neil Youngish.

BTW this is up on youtube now. I love the horns and the music but I don't think I can get into the political anti war lyrics this time. I'm sure he's passionate about it and someone has to do it but I don't need to see or hear any more than I get hit with via the media.

Any reason he chose that Brad Rice doppleganger instead of bringing back Chris Frame?

I watched my TiVo recording of Son Volt on Conan from the other night. Overall I liked the song. The horns added a lot of presence to the band's sound. It was almost like a mariachi kind of sound. Jay's voice sounded a little shaky, though.

Any reason he chose that Brad Rice doppleganger instead of bringing back Chris Frame?

Funny you should mention Chris Frame. I recently got the 6-String Belief DVD, and was pretty put off by his playing on a lot of the older stuff. Was his initial departure from the band his or Jay's idea? Maybe Jay didn't want him back...

I heard that James Walbourne is playing with Son Volt now, and if that's who you're referring to, the answer is "Because James Walbourne is awesome." ;)

Funny you should mention Chris Frame. I recently got the 6-String Belief DVD, and was pretty put off by his playing on a lot of the older stuff.

Now that I think of it I'm not crazy about that DVD either. I'm not fond of saying "doesn't do justice" but the DVD and the live shows I saw seemed like two different things. It can be that way with performance DVD's, I didn't like Sunken Treasure either.

But I really didn't have a problem with Chris just that it seemed kind of flat.

Yeah, I specifically didn't like the way he played some of the older songs. I don't have any problem with the evolution of songs, and there were some songs I liked his interpretation of - so it's not that he changed, but how he changed (and performed) certain songs that bugged me. I had some notes on the performance, in case I decided I cared enough to start a thread about the DVD, but they are at home and I think I tossed them this weekend anyway (guess I didn't care that much :)). And to be fair, I'm pretty sure I haven't heard a single other performance by him, so it absolutely could just be that one night...