Here are pics of Jeff's axes taken at the Wilco Ensemble's 2/24/07 Living Room Show.

Breedlove Custom, Jeff Beck Custom Tribute Esquire, Martin Pre-War 0-18 (used to record California Stars, among many others)

IMG_0875.jpg

Unfortunately, the Martin Pre-War 00-18 didn't get any play time this year:

IMG_0775.jpg

I love the breedlove, it looks quite a bit like jeff's Santa Cruz. Does anyone know of any affordable 000's that don't have square shoulders but are shaped more like the breedlove or santa cruz. I've found a lot in the 2000-4000 range but nothing cheaper, aside from a few kits.

I love the breedlove, it looks quite a bit like jeff's Santa Cruz. Does anyone know of any affordable 000's that don't have square shoulders but are shaped more like the breedlove or santa cruz. I've found a lot in the 2000-4000 range but nothing cheaper, aside from a few kits.

Epiphone makes an 00 for $350. I haven't looked closely at the curvature, and I know that's not the same as an 000, but it might be close enough to hold you over (condisering $2000-$4000 for most people means "just forget about it").

I tried out Martin's 000-X1 last week ($500-ish) and it was the worst guitar I've ever held in my hands. Maybe there are some good ones, but the one I tried was full of problems (sharp fret ends, strings resting on frets, cheap appearance).

I have a Martin 000X1, and I like it a lot. Maybe you just got a bad one (or I got a good one).

Yeah, it was probably just a bad one. The store had more of them, but I was only able to try out the crappy one. I wound up getting a Taylor 414, which has made me want to do nothing but play guitar since I first tried it out.

i absolutley love my Martin 000M which i think streets for around $600 or so.

I love it so much that i swore i'd take better care of it than any guitar i've ever had, never take it out to gigs, and store it safely the way the music stores store them. On a hanger. On a wall. above the baseboard heater, that is also an outside wall of the house. in the winter. the repair shop says i'll have it back in a week and that the crack shouldn't be noticable. :(

i'm sure no one out there is as big an idiot as me, but since i wish someone had done this last year for me to see... may i offer the public service anouncement of reminding you all to buy a $12 in soundhole humidifier and keep the acoustics in the case in the winter.

What is the significance of noting a martin as pre-war rather than just by year? I've seen that several times when people talk about 00s espessially, I mean is there more to it than noting it's age? "it's old and sounds nice"

Flat top Martins from the 1840's to the 1920's represent the earliest generation of the modern flat top design. They have great workmanship, but small bodies designed for gut strings only. Because of this, these models have limited appeal and hence are less collectible than steel string models.

Twelve and fourteen fret steel string models from the mid 1920's to 1944 are the most collectible of all Martin instruments. They have excellent craftsmenship, sound, and playability, and these model are of great interest to collectors and players. Some musicians prefer the sound and feel of 12 fret models, and these are close in value to 14 fret models of the same size and period. The larger size 14 fret 000 and "D" sizes from the 1930's are considered by most collectors and musicians to represent the golden era of the flat top Martin. Note war-time models (1941 to 1944) aren't quite as desirable as the 1930's models. Lack of materials, manpower, and general social uncertainty during the war contributed to this.

Flat tops from 1945 to 1969 are considered good quality and have good sound, although they are not as collectible as the 1920's to 1944 steel string models. This is largely due to the change in bracing and materials Martin started using in 1945. Rosewood models of Brazilian rosewood are most collectible from this era. This is because Brazilian rosewood was basically unavailable since 1970 due to export problems. Because of this, these models are considered more collectible.

Linky