The Pogues regret the late cancellation of tonight's show at Roseland, NYC. Shane MacGowan took an accidental tumble on a piece of stage equipment at the Boston Orpheum last Sunday (11) which required the band to slightly curtail their show. MacGowan's injury, though painful, did not at first seem more serious than that, but he has had pain and mobility problems ever since. As recently as 5pm this afternoon, The Pogues (minus Shane, as is their custom) completed a soundcheck at Roseland and, at that point, there was no prospect of cancellation. As the band were leaving Roseland to return to their hotel before the show, news arrived from Shane's doctor that the injury made his appearance tonight out of the question. We will update later with information about the remaining scheduled shows on the tour. Right now, there is nothing more to say except we wish Shane a safe and speedy recovery and hope we will be able to make good this disappointing development on another occasion.

Oh Drew, that sucks! :cryin

I've been stood up by Shane twice; the first time I don't think there was any explanation, and the band went on without him (they were opening for Bob Dylan). The next time, he was doing a solo show in Belfast, and there was no question what had happened that night: a bunch of people at the show (a big festival) were reporting that they'd seen him drunk that afternoon in a bar on the Falls Road. :frusty

The Pogues regret the late cancellation of tonight's show at Roseland, NYC. Shane MacGowan took an accidental tumble on a piece of stage equipment at the Boston Orpheum last Sunday (11) which required the band to slightly curtail their show. MacGowan's injury, though painful, did not at first seem more serious than that, but he has had pain and mobility problems ever since. As recently as 5pm this afternoon, The Pogues (minus Shane, as is their custom) completed a soundcheck at Roseland and, at that point, there was no prospect of cancellation. As the band were leaving Roseland to return to their hotel before the show, news arrived from Shane's doctor that the injury made his appearance tonight out of the question. We will update later with information about the remaining scheduled shows on the tour. Right now, there is nothing more to say except we wish Shane a safe and speedy recovery and hope we will be able to make good this disappointing development on another occasion.

Thought about you when we got there last night. :ohwell

Were you able to swap tickets for tonight?? I didn't try, being that we got to roseland just before 9:00 and figured there were none left by that hour.

Obviously I'm sad as ever. Should have picked the 3/17 date but didn't want to battle a Saturday St patricks day in the city at my age.

:( :ohwell :ohwell :ohwell

my exact thoughts too. Seeing them on St. Paddy day would be great, but I didn't want to deal with the whole craziness the day would be in NYC.

didn't think about exchanging tix, to hard to make plans to go back in tonight.

I doubt Shane will make it anyway, who knows what his injury is ?

he's such a fragile guy to begin with.

I'm hoping they re-schedule the show

Shane MacGowan suffered severe damage to ligaments to one of his knees when he fell on stage at the Orpheum Theatre, Boston on March 11, which caused the late cancellation of last night's opening New York show by The Pogues at Roseland Ballroom in Manhattan. Shane is under constant medical supervision and analgesic control, but The Pogues, including MacGowan, will appear at tonight's (March 15) show as scheduled. As long as Shane gets through the show without complications, the remaing two shows on the tour, at the Electric Factory, Philadephia (March 16) and Roseland, New York (March 17) will also take place.

The Pogues would like to take this opportunity to wish their fans, friends and supporters all over the world a very Happy St Patrick's Day.

Please contact your ticket agent directly if you need a refund or a ticket exchange for last night's show.

To be fair to Shane... since the initial reunion Christmas holiday shows in the UK a few years back, he hasn't missed a single show, and has had really no bad reviews. In other words, he's shown up, remembered the words, and made it through the whole set list.

I had the immense pleasure of seeing them last March 18 in NYC at Nokia, and they were even better than the last time I had seen them... years ago on the Peace and Love tour. They are no novelty reunion act... The Pogues right now are firing on all pistons and are putting on wonderful shows.

I really feel sorry for the folks who had tickets to the cancelled gig, that is a big-time bummer. But all joking aside, I would not chalk this up to Shane's famous past of ditching Popes gigs in favor of the pint. In this current incarnation of the Pogues, if Phillip Chevron says it's Shane's leg... then you can be damn well sure that it is indeed Shane's leg and not his liver that is causing the problem.

Anyway, I hope you guys get a make-up gig... that show I saw last year was one of the funnest ever.

Luck o' the Irish to ye.

I don't doubt that Shane's leg is injured, but that doesn't mean it wasn't alcohol-related (of course, doesn't mean it was, either; but certainly no one can be blamed for speculating, based on his history...).

They played here last October, and the band sounded great. Shane showed up, but I'm still tempted to say that his appearances, at least, fall into the category of novelty act these days. He remembered most of the words, sure, but his ability to keep up with the band was less than impressive. I was glad to have gotten the chance to see them one more time, but it was a bit depressing, too.

Goddammit, I'm sposda see them on Friday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

owl,

from the pogues boards about last night (3/15) from philip:

We played. We rocked. New York rocked. Shane was in a wheelchair' date=' not a rocker, but he rocked.[/quote']

you should be good for tonight! :cheers