Now Watching/Reading/Playing/Attending/Marching/Wearing, etc.

For the past week or so, I've been attending events put on by the New College here as part of their Crossroads festival. The festival is an annual exploration of Irish-America, and there's always some good stuff.

Tuesday night, I attended a talk by Charles Fanning, a scholar who specializes in Irish-America, and who recently has been involved in the re-issues of James T. Farrell's O'Neill-O'Flaherty books, starting with this one:

0252031733.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Last night was Peter Quinn, and forget the RSBFs, he is my ultimate IAABF (Irish-American Author Boy Friend). He wrote one of my favorite books of all time:

0140230033.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

and is currently hawking his latest:

1585678708.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

These events are put together by the staff of New College, including co-director Danny Cassidy, whose own book will be out in a couple of months:

1904859607.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The festival kicked off last week with a screening of Home, a really lovely documentary about immigration, and specifically New York as a city of immigrants, told through the experience of an Irish actor living there. There are also great interviews with iconic New Yorkers, which shouldn't be missed if you get the chance.

Title2_Crop.jpg

On TV, I haven't watched the pilot episode of The Riches yet, but I'm hoping for better than we got with The Black Donnellys. :hmm

Oh, and I also saw Translations on Broadway a few weeks ago:

translationsprod460.jpg

Great stuff, but I was fairly disturbed to come across this story while looking for that picture. :uhoh

Now playing, that's an easy one: yay the Pogues! :music I love that they end it with Muirsin Durkin, I always like to be reminded that my repertoire and the Pogues' have so many tunes in common. :pirate

Tomorrow is parade day. It doesn't happen often, but I'm very pleased with this year's choice for Grand Marshal of the parade. Mike Casey is one of the coolest labor leaders SF has seen in a while.

bu_hotel102.jpg

And finally, even though it's entirely not me, I selected this color for my pedicure this morning:

nl_b49.gif

Sadly, it's more of a yellowy piss-green on my toes. Ah well.

And finally, even though it's entirely not me, I selected this color for my pedicure this morning:

nl_b49.gif

Sadly, it's more of a yellowy piss-green on my toes. Ah well.

Foot fetishists highs have now been totally buzz killed. :P

:lol

Aside from providing fodder for the fetishists, I forgot one of the most important things in this thread. Here's the group I'll be marching with in the parade:

1936.jpg

Hmmm, we should probably update that picture...

I have an irish last name, but I do pretty much nothing for st. patrick's day except wear green eyes -- thank you for taking up the slack for me!

And we will definitely require video documentation of you all in the band. Please!?

The festival kicked off last week with a screening of Home, a really lovely documentary about immigration, and specifically New York as a city of immigrants, told through the experience of an Irish actor living there. There are also great interviews with iconic New Yorkers, which shouldn't be missed if you get the chance.

Title2_Crop.jpg

:wub

On TV, I haven't watched the pilot episode of The Riches yet, but I'm hoping for better than we got with The Black Donnellys. :hmm

Not holding my breath.

ERIN GO BRAGH, gogo! I march with you! :cheers :beer :cheekkiss :wub

And we will definitely require video documentation of you all in the band. Please!?

I'm going to quote the wise Mr. Skyflynn for this one:

Not holding my breath.

ERIN GO BRAGH, gogo! I march with you! :cheers :beer :cheekkiss :wub

Tiocfaidh

It doesn't happen often, but I'm very pleased with this year's choice for Grand Marshal of the parade. Mike Casey is one of the coolest labor leaders SF has seen in a while.

bu_hotel102.jpg

nl_b49.gif

maudie this post is a capsule of why you are the wind beneath my wings:

in one post you mentioned a labor leader in your city and getting a pedicure. :worship this is what makes san francisco a great city.

UNION! PEDICURE!!

two things near and dear to my heart. :love

HOORAY FOR THE PARADE!

and, i am going to be picking up "looking for jimmy." great book tips! :thumbup