Best Neil Young Album

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and all the live albums are pretty amazing.

OK I like Neil young as much as anyone but not all of the live albums are amazing. None is a total loss but several are not good enough to earn the "amazing" title.

Time Fades Away - This is not a bad album, but for me it has always seemed like it is an acquired taste. Some like it immediately some it has to grow on them, others never develop the taste. A live album made during Neil's amazing ascendancy to the elite level and it does not match the rest of his out put at the time. Though I will say it captures the unpredictable nature of Neil. He could easily has released a live version of Harvest/After The Gold Rush but he chose to release what we have here.

Live Rust - Great It captures him perfectly in his element at the time.

Weld - The Best 100% live Crazy Horse album he released.

Unplugged - zzzzzz Average album Nothing to write home about.

Year of the Horse - Some great performances, some not so great. Overall this album lacks an intangible that makes the album not very cohesive. That being said I still like some of the performances and appreciate that it is not the usual suspects when the songs were selected.

Road Rock - the all-star band never grabbed me. Again this is a live album missing an intangible.

Live at the Fillmore/Live at Massey - Love them both. Captures him at his absolute peak.

I'm not trying to be down on Neil but I just don't think his live albums have been as good as they might be.

OK I like Neil young as much as anyone but not all of the live albums are amazing. None is a total loss but several are not good enough to earn the "amazing" title.

Time Fades Away - This is not a bad album, but for me it has always seemed like it is an acquired taste. Some like it immediately some it has to grow on them, others never develop the taste. A live album made during Neil's amazing ascendancy to the elite level and it does not match the rest of his out put at the time. Though I will say it captures the unpredictable nature of Neil. He could easily has released a live version of Harvest/After The Gold Rush but he chose to release what we have here.

Live Rust - Great It captures him perfectly in his element at the time.

Weld - The Best 100% live Crazy Horse album he released.

Unplugged - zzzzzz Average album Nothing to write home about.

Year of the Horse - Some great performances, some not so great. Overall this album lacks an intangible that makes the album not very cohesive. That being said I still like some of the performances and appreciate that it is not the usual suspects when the songs were selected.

Road Rock - the all-star band never grabbed me. Again this is a live album missing an intangible.

Live at the Fillmore/Live at Massey - Love them both. Captures him at his absolute peak.

I'm not trying to be down on Neil but I just don't think his live albums have been as good as they might be.

With the exception of your assessment of Unplugged and Time Fades Away, I think you're dead on. The only things I'll say are TFA and RNS are much different from the others in that the songs that appear on them were not to be found on a previous studio album. Plus, RNS has the audience removed from the recording giving it less of a live album feel. I agree that TFA is an aquired taste, but man, it's a fucking great album. There's not a single weak track on there. To me you cannot seperate TFA, OTB, and TTN. All rank among his best work and share such a great doom and gloom rawness.

With the exception of your assessment of Unplugged and Time Fades Away, I think you're dead on. The only things I'll say are TFA and RNS are much different from the others in that the songs that appear on them were not to be found on a previous studio album. Plus, RNS has the audience removed from the recording giving it less of a live album feel. I agree that TFA is an aquired taste, but man, it's a fucking great album. There's not a single weak track on there. To me you cannot seperate TFA, OTB, and TTN. All rank among his best work and share such a great doom and gloom rawness.

Re: TFA I am thinking in general terms for this album. Intense Fans find it much more listenable than non-fans and casual listeners. Though I consider myself a pretty intense fan (except I don't have the mental d-base of songs, concerts etc... that true fanatics have) I still have a hard time listening to TFA. But go figure Reactor and Hawks and Doves are two of my long time favorites.

Perhaps with unplugged I have listened to it with a prejudice. Neil Young unplugged? Come on that is every other tour. It just does not grab me. Though Dylans unplugged doesn't either, so perhaps I am biased againsted the unplugged brand name/franchise.

RNS is interesting because I believe it was recorded before the studio versions were recorded and released. So we had a skewed time line where we hear the studio album and a year later got the live disc which was recorded before the studio versions were released. Always liked it though.

RNS is interesting because I believe it was recorded before the studio versions were recorded and released. So we had a skewed time line where we hear the studio album and a year later got the live disc which was recorded before the studio versions were released. Always liked it though.

I think you're confusing Live Rust and Rust Never Sleeps.

I still think they are amazing when compared to live albums from any one else. The two rust albums are prolly my most listened to NY albums.

you're right YOTH is just okay. I liked unplugged but its not great. I sorta jumped the gun. I should have said MOST not ALL of his live albums are amazing. That being said I still prefer his live albums to his studio ones which is what I meant to get at.

I still think they are amazing when compared to live albums from any one else. The two rust albums are prolly my most listened to NY albums.

you're right YOTH is just okay. I liked unplugged but its not great. I sorta jumped the gun. I should have said MOST not ALL of his live albums are amazing. That being said I still prefer his live albums to his studio ones which is what I meant to get at.

That is a problem for great artists, they don't get compared to the reast of the field they get compared to themselves. How many times do we see a dylan review where they bring up BOTT or some of his 60's out put? They don't compare the latest dylan to say Cold play. So Guys like Neil Young and Dylan always have to battle their past, which is why some great stuff by them gets ho hummed by us or the critics.

That is a problem for great artists, they don't get compared to the reast of the field they get compared to themselves. How many times do we see a dylan review where they bring up BOTT or some of his 60's out put? They don't compare the latest dylan to say Cold play. So Guys like Neil Young and Dylan always have to battle their past, which is why some great stuff by them gets ho hummed by us or the critics.

I dunno what that has to do with me prefering NY live to studio.

me prefering NY live to studio.

Neil agrees

UNION MAN

I'm proud to a union man

I make those meetings when I can, yeah

I pay my dues ahead of time

When the benefits come

I'm last in line, yeah.

I'm proud to be a union man.

Every fourth Friday at 10 am

There's a local meeting

of the A F of M, yeah!

This meeting will now come to order

Is there any new business?

Yeah, I think 'Live music are better'

Bumper stickers should be issued.

What was that?

'Live music is better' bumper stickers

Should be issued

The gentleman says

'Live music is better' bumper stickers

Should be issued

All in favor of what he said

Signify by sayin' "ay"

Ay!

If, however, you are opposed

Signify by saying "no".

I'm proud to be a union man.

haha, well I mean I compared him to himself and everyone else. I'm confused what it had to do with my statement.

i hear ya. i was actually trying to compare CDII to Coldplay and was having a tough time. two different generations.

c

hey,

well, i have given CDII a few more listens and it is def growing on me. i just couldn't let it go and this thread has just been inspiring me. i don't let much grow on me much any more as i am so overwhelmed with what to listen to and the whole ipod ascetic. but CDII is sounding good to me at this point. thanks for the inspiration friends.