Best Neil Young Album

Agreed. See my posting above. While this isn't the worst Neil album, it is a concept album that doesn't entirely work.

LouieB

Yeah, it's worth having if you've got everything else, but not top of the list of ones to have. Obviously Wonderin' was a very old song anyway. A couple of the over-looked albums that are worth getting are Hawks & Doves and Old Ways, in my view anyway.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's worth having if you've got everything else, but not top of the list of ones to have. Obviously Wonderin' was a very old song anyway. A couple of the over-looked albums that are worth getting are Hawks & Doves and Old Ways, in my view anyway.
Yea, those other two are okay....

Isn't Wonderin' actually written by Neil? It sounds like an old song (doo wop style) but I think he wrote it.

LouieB

thanks for the input from everyone....i wanna steer clear of anything on the Box set coming out in september. That being said many of the comments helped me alot....seems like the most liked by you guys are:

After the Goldrush

On the Beach

Tonight's the Night

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

...so i guess these 4 will be my next adventures in that order. :canada neil's the man

All the usual suspects are all great records but I have to put the love down for Hawks and Doves. All her friends called her little wing....great album ,only too short.

In Shakey, Neil claims that he recorded the vocal for Will To Love, "in one sitting, in front of the fireplace.... I have never sung it except for that one time."

He also recorded "Soldier" in front of a crackling fireplace in an old mill(?). That's in the movie Journey Through The Past. I don't know if it's in Shakey but it's in the film. B)

it really is like trying to figure out which one of your children you love more, isn't it? After the Goldrush (on headphones) got me through some tough times and will always be my favorite!

I would have to say Harvest Moon, back when it came out I was doing a lot of traveling with my job, I took my walkman with me on every trip and listened to the tape over and over again. It sure helped me with being alone and missing my family while I was gone.

Yea, those other two are okay....

Isn't Wonderin' actually written by Neil? It sounds like an old song (doo wop style) but I think he wrote it.

LouieB

Wonderin' is included in the recent Live At Fillmore East 1970. and yes, it was written by Neil. great song. i prefer the Fillmore East version with Crazy Horse, of course.

i just picked up After the Goldrush, Live Rust, and Silver & Gold....

Live Rust = :guitar :D

p.s. when i get big im gonna get an electric guitar, when i get real big

No question...Live Rust...:guitar

er...

On the Beach :ermm

:unsure

uhh...Harvest

uh...Tonight's the Night

uh...After the Gold Rush

uh...Rust never Sleeps

I think I'll go lie down now :hmm

I'm curious if anyone has looked at the groove runout of the Tonight's The Night vinyl. The smooth part of the circle next to the black Reprise label. I just looked at my original copy bought in 1975 when I was 16. There are words scratched into the vinyl on both sides, I & II.

I think it's finally time to read Shakey. Although it is fun to find things 32 years later I never new existed I don't want to miss any more hidden meanings.

There's more to the picture than meets the eye. B)

I got Harvest on CD a few years back. Then last year I was looking at a music store and found On the Beach for $1 or $2 on vinyl. It was on the floor I guess because the jacket is waterdamaged. The record is in great shape though. I also picked up After the Gold Rush vinyl for $5. I liked OTB from first listen, but I haven't been able to get into ATGR as much. What's the deal with the short songs at the end of both sides of the record? Did he just do some quick songs to fill out the record?