Best Neil Young Album

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my faves come in 3s: (in chronological order)

everybody knows this is nowhere

after the gold rush

harvest

on the beach

tonight's the night

zuma

comes a time

rust never sleeps

live rust

freedom

ragged glory

arc/weld

edit: btw, if you want most of these on cd, sign up to yourmusic.com ($6.99 each cd).

Well if you want to get a good picture of his early stuff you really can't go wrong by picking up Live at Massey Hall and Live Rust.

Now if you want to stay away from live sets and get actual albums go ahead and pick up after the gold rush and everybody knows this is nowhere. They will be good compliments to harvest.

My personal favorite is On the Beach followed by Tonights the Night. Because you can feel neil bleed pure emotion on the albums. They may not be the best albums to start with but keep those gems in mind.

He has great albums sprinkled throughout his career other highlights for me besides the ones mentioned are:

sleeps with angels

zuma

greendale

harvest moon

freedom

ragged glory

you really can't go wrong by picking up Live at Massey Hall

Someone put this on last night at work. It was so good I was having a really hard time concentrating on what I was doing. I think I'll have to pick this up very soon.

Harvest

Everybody Knows this is Nowhere

On the Beach

Harvest Moon

Decade

Tonights the Night

After the Gold Rush

Comes a Time

We really should post Neil's albums to stay away from...there are many actually.

LouieB

The video for Wonderin' is great though. I remember seeing it when I was a teenager and thinking, WTF? :stunned :lol

My top 5 today:

Tonight's the Night (my favourite, but probably not the best place to start)

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

On The Beach

Massey Hall (can't stop listening to this)

Live Rust

Was this in Shakey? I can't seem to remember ever hearing other explanation than the fireplace crackling.

In Shakey, Neil claims that he recorded the vocal for Will To Love, "in one sitting, in front of the fireplace.... I have never sung it except for that one time."

On The Beach is it for me, that's one of my top 10 ever probably. Harvest, Harvest Moon, Rust Never Sleeps, Everybody Knows This Nowhere, Tonight's The Night and After The Goldrush are all great too.

--Mike

lol, well you might be disappointed - that's the best song on the album, by a long long way!
Agreed. See my posting above. While this isn't the worst Neil album, it is a concept album that doesn't entirely work.

LouieB

In Shakey, Neil claims that he recorded the vocal for Will To Love, "in one sitting, in front of the fireplace.... I have never sung it except for that one time."

Thanks, it's been awhile since I read Shakey so I wasn't sure if it had some extra information about Will To Love. I have always loved that song, so I'd love to keep imagining Neil in front of that crackling fireplace, singing that song for the first and only time.