Best Neil Young Album

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was just listening to Sugar Mountain and couldnt help but hear the lyrics.....

Its so noisy at the fair

But all your friends are there

And the CANDY FLOSS you had

And your mother and your dad

......and i assumed thats where the Wilco song Candy Floss comes from, is this true?

i was just listening to Sugar Mountain and couldnt help but hear the lyrics.....

Its so noisy at the fair

But all your friends are there

And the CANDY FLOSS you had

And your mother and your dad

......and i assumed thats where the Wilco song Candy Floss comes from, is this true?

Its so NOISY at the FAIR

But all your FRIENDS are there

And the candy floss you had

And your MOTHER and your DAD

Yeah, plus the tv show Friends; my mother and dad; and the concept of noise all came from here too. Am I being unFAIR [sic]? :monkey

(sorry, just pulling your tail. i really doubt that this song has anything to do with the wilco song, and instead has a lot more to do with images which evoke the fairground)

Its so NOISY at the FAIR

Yeah, plus the tv show Friends; my mother and dad; and the concept of noise all came from here too. Am I being unFAIR [sic]? :monkey

(sorry, just pulling your tail. i really doubt that this song has anything to do with the wilco song, and instead has a lot more to do with images which evoke the fairground)

I see you ignored the "but" there...homophobe.

Its so NOISY at the FAIR

your a complete douche bag....countless songs have noise, friends and mother and dad in the song. To date ive only heard 2 songs with the words Candy Floss in them. WHy then is it not logical to think they might have had something to do with one another?? I'm sure young was an influence on Tweedy, so why do u have to be an ass about it? :realmad

your a complete douche bag....countless songs have noise, friends and mother and dad in the song. To date ive only heard 2 songs with the words Candy Floss in them. WHy then is it not logical to think they might have had something to do with one another?? I'm sure young was an influence on Tweedy, so why do u have to be an ass about it? :realmad

Nice 100th post. :rolleyes

Apparently you missed this part:

lol i guess its fitting im now 'Misunderstood' after that 100th post...but i just thought it was a rude reply to an honest questions, i read the pulling your tail line but that doesnt take away from the original comment. Maybe it didnt mean the same thing as the Neil Young song, but i cant help but think maybe Tweedy picked up those words from this song.

lol i guess its fitting im now 'Misunderstood' after that 100th post...but i just thought it was a rude reply to an honest questions, i read the pulling your tail line but that doesnt take away from the original comment. Maybe it didnt mean the same thing as the Neil Young song, but i cant help but think maybe Tweedy picked up those words from this song.

Sorry, I was just joking - I wasn't trying to put you down or anything like that, well not too much anyway. I think Tweedy has definately been influenced by Neil Young, but I don't think that line has anything to do with the wilco song. I could have just said, "no," to your original question, but I thought I'd give you a little bit of a friendly ribbing too.

its all good, it just came off as you making me seem stupid for asking that question and i thought it was legitimate....thats all. But i do understand what your saying that it probably doesnt have much to do with it, never kno though candy floss isnt a term thrown around too often. I did come off as defensive but i assure you i am quite mellow :mellow as this face indicated

Regarding After The Gold Rush's "short songs" - I guess "Cripple Creek Ferry" was written as part of the original soundtrack to the screenplay that never got filmed. I'm not sure about "Till the Morning Comes".

YAMF, you made some good choices...and I agree with everyone's suggestions so far. However, I'll throw in one that hasn't gotten a lotta love (ha!) in this thread:

Sleeps With Angels - This album took me like 5 years to get into, but it's probably among my top 4 favorites of his now. It's got a bit of everything, from the heart-in-your-throat feeling (My Heart, Prime of Life) to distorted Crazy Horse fury (title track, Change Your Mind) to just plain weird (Blue Eden, Safeway Cart)...heck, it's even got "Piece of Crap" on it!

I find something in almost every album he's done that I love to death. Someone mentioned "Albums to stay away from". Well, for the beginner, I'd say that list would look like this (from "worst" to "not worst"):

LANDING ON WATER - There's really only two songs worth listening to on this, and one of them (Hippie Dream) is on "Lucky Thirteen", so you might as well just get that instead. Granted, you can go into any record store and find this brand new on CD for like $5, so it's not a huge investment.

ARE YOU PASSIONATE - Is "Goin' Home" worth the $14 for a new CD?

JOURNEY THROUGH THE PAST - It's not really an album. It's also not available on CD, so that makes it easier to avoid. The side-long workout of "Words" is fascinating to me. The rest I can do without.

EVERYBODY'S ROCKIN' - Several posts in this thread pointed out this album's shortcomings, plus it's only like 24 minutes long. However, I'd say that Wonderin' isn't the only good song on here. "Payola Blues" has its definite merits.

OLD WAYS - I like me some country rock. However, I don't really like me some straight country, particularly when it's drenched in strings and played at (mostly) a snail's pace.

THIS NOTE'S FOR YOU - I've tried to get into this album for years, and it's never grown on me. You're better off tracking down some Neil Young and the Bluenotes live shows from that period (87-89) --- they're far, far better. Actually, that goes for most of Neil's output from 83-89 - the live stuff is supremely good, while the albums weren't.

I just got "On The Beach" and I love "Walk On" expect I am not really digging anything else on it. I mean I love Neil Young and I just bought Massey Hall and I think it is great, but On The Beach has yet to grow on me. I want it too though.

Depends on where you are in the world.

is that a word you use a lot in Iowa or sumthin? I live in Chicago and have my whole life and ive never heard anyone say candy floss, except in 2 songs. Interesting that it means cotton candy to canadians, i never knew that

...also i think i need to pick up On the Beach next, hopefully i can get into it as it seems like it takes some dedicated listening

is that a word you use a lot in Iowa or sumthin? I live in Chicago and have my whole life and ive never heard anyone say candy floss, except in 2 songs. Interesting that it means cotton candy to canadians, i never knew that

...also i think i need to pick up On the Beach next, hopefully i can get into it as it seems like it takes some dedicated listening

It means cotton candy in England too (well, cotton candy means candyfloss). It's also what it means in Sugar Mountain. In the Wilco song it's all about a relationship, so it's a metaphor, but still in reference to the fairground food. What does it mean to you?

Does anyone have Tonight's the Night on vinyl? B)

Yea. And I believe it's an early pressing too. I'll take a look at the "run-out" when I get home this evening to see what it says.

It's not an uncommon practice, although I can't recall the particulars of who generates the text or the reasoning behind it.

Has something to do with establishing and identifying a tracklisting and the "sides" of an album when it goes through the mastering process.

I think.

Don't take that statement for gospel, it may be total bullsh*t that my sleep deprived brain concocted early on a Monday morning.

Neil has more WTF moments, both good and bad, than any other artist that comes to mind.

The TIME FADES AWAY tour on the heels of HARVEST.

The TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT tour and album (how many artists have EVER released a record so in you face and emotionally raw?)

The reliance on Crazy Horse (I love 'em, but Musicians these guys ain't).

TRANS, EVERYBODY'S ROCKING, OLD WAYS, LANDING ON WATER...these could have easily killed the career of a lesser artist...

Getting sued by David Geffen. As curious, odd, disgusting and yes, funny as Saul Zantz suing John Foggerty for plaigarism.

Blowing out the walls with RAGGED GLORY and the ARC/WELD tour in his late 40's...and following that with a sequel of sorts to HARVEST (HARVEST MOON).

GLENDALE...do I need to say more?

And at the age when most artists (outside of Dylan and Springsteen) are either hitting the sheds with oldies but goodies summer tours or taking up a trophy wife and retiring, Neil releases TWO albums.

Neil has never stopped challenging himself and his audience.

An excellent point in a post full of them. One of the highlights of the eighties for me was seeing Neil live. B)

Absolutely. I saw a Neil & the Bluenotes show in Summer '88 & he did a version of "Ordinary People" that was 15-20 minutes long & it just KILLED!

It means cotton candy in England too (well, cotton candy means candyfloss). It's also what it means in Sugar Mountain. In the Wilco song it's all about a relationship, so it's a metaphor, but still in reference to the fairground food. What does it mean to you?

Well to me in the Wilco song Candyfloss is the metaphor for this girl that is attractive and he is with her but theres a lot of ups and down and he sort of wins her over by the end of the song....at least thats wut i understood from it. In Sugar Mountain i guess its just cotton candy cuz hes talkin about the fair, since neil is canadian this makes sense.

Young wrote this on his 19th birthday, just after leaving Buffalo Springfield. The song is about losing the idealism of youth.

Young recorded this on a Sony home tape recorder in Michigan.

I believe that Joni Mitchell (who knew neil back in canada to) once said that neil and his friends used to hang out at this place, club or something called sugar mountain. The age limit was 20, so when he turned twenty he was out on the streets alone. Joni actually wrote her song "the circle game" about this song