Best Neil Young Album

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really need all of them. Hell just take out a loan. :lol

Just my .02 (in order): Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After the Gold Rush, Tonight's the Night, On The Beach, Zuma, Rust Never Sleeps, Live Rust, Freedom, Ragged Glory, Harvest Moon, MTV Unplugged, Prarie Wind, Living With War, Fillmore East, Massey Hall.

Seriously, that's a short list. there are songs on every LP that are excellent. Happy hunting ! :music

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere. I also really love Harvest and Harvest Moon, I know that takes away "cool" points or whatever, I've been listening to those two albums all my life.

I just listened to most of Neil's '70s albums today. It was a crazy, non-premeditated bender, I'll tell you what. You can't go wrong with any one of those discs.

My favs, sort of in order (ranking Neil is almost impossible to do):

On the Beach

After the Gold Rush

Tonight's the Night

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

American Stars 'n Bars

On The Beach is a must - it's brilliant. Then I like Harvest Moon and the MTV Unplugged along with Freedom and Sleeps With Angels :D

Ok... so not a small list :)

A lot of them are available cheaply now, I know there's record shops in the UK that are doing them for

On The Beach is a must - it's brilliant.

that's one of those albums that feels like it was speaking what's inside my head. it blows me away each time i hear it, and holds a very special place in my audiophile heart

B00009P1NY.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Old Country Waltz

Saddle Up The Palomino

Hey Babe

Hold Back The Tears

Bite The Bullet

Star Of Bethlehem

Will To Love

Like A Hurricane

Homegrown

Man, I love this album. I think this was one of the last Neil Young CD reissues. I had to wait a long, long time.

B00009P1NY.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Old Country Waltz

Saddle Up Palomino

Hey Babe

Hold Back The Tears

Bite The Bullet

Star Of Bethlehem

Will To Love

Like A Hurricane

Homegrown

Man, I love this album. I think this was one of the last Neil Young CD reissues. I had to wait a long, long time.

Amen, Sister!!! :cheers

i wish i could afford to get them all

I've said it before whenever one of these Neil threads pop up but it bears repeating: If you've got a turntable you can pick most of the back catalog up on vinyl "on the cheap". And really, there's nothing better than cranking up a copy of Tonight's the Night or Rust Never Sleeps and filling the house with all of it's inherent pops, crackles and glorious distortion.

B000002KCC.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Nice avatar, Jimmy. :cheers

Yeah, I listened to Decade on vinyl the other day while I was working. Doesn't get much better.

I grew up on After the Gold Rush, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, and Harvest (my dad's a fan), so I'm strongly biased toward these three. That said, I'm not sure he ever topped those albums -- though Tonight's The Night and On The Beach are certainly in their league -- as good if not better.

i have harvest, mirrorball, and the greatest hits but i havent heard many of the other albums. Which do you guys think is the best one other than those 3 that i should pick up? :music

What songs do you like on The Greatest Hits? That might give us all a clue as to what album you might appreciate best.

(for now, without knowing those details, i'll say After The Goldrush, or Rust Never Sleeps - seeing as how nobody has mentioned that yet)

With Neil it all depends on what of his you like. I have pretty much most of them sans a few of his more recent releases and I like (i.e. the one's I pull of the shelf most often to listen to)...

Tonight's the Night

Zuma

Rust Never Sleeps

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

After the Gold Rush

But those are some of the usual suspects. Less popular Neil Albums I like are...

REACTOR

Hawks & Doves

Comes A Time

Mirrorball

Ragged Glory

El Dorado

Which is not to say I don't like the rest. As to his infamous 1980's output the Album Lucky 13 covers it pretty well.