we were dead before the ship even sank

MM is really two different bands, pre-Good News and post-Good News. I like it, they still write great song after great song. Definitely like pre-Good News much more though, its just too polished now a days.

So far, it reminds me of a combination of Good News and The Moon & Antarctica. It's certainly a much more solid album than Good News, but still doesn't really live up to the quality of The Moon & Antarctica. I think people just need to get used to the fact that Modest Mouse isn't going to be hearkening back to the days of Long Drive anytime soon. The new stuff is enjoyable, just different, and arguably hard to accept if you're expecting their old sound.

So far, it reminds me of a combination of Good News and The Moon & Antarctica. It's certainly a much more solid album than Good News, but still doesn't really live up to the quality of The Moon & Antarctica. I think people just need to get used to the fact that Modest Mouse isn't going to be hearkening back to the days of Long Drive anytime soon. The new stuff is enjoyable, just different, and arguably hard to accept if you're expecting their old sound.

Very true.

I really love it.

lcw is by far the best album they'll ever make, imo

What's it like in the future? When do we all start wearing identical silver jumpsuits? And, more importantly, do the Redskins ever win another Super Bowl?

This will be the worst album of the year for me hands down. It's awful: from Brock's awful singing on the opening track to the closing track an hour later (it feels like three days later) I was waiting for it to end. I guess that's not entirely true because there were a couple decent songs. Unfortunately, they're the songs that borrow a vocal contribution from someone who actually put out a good record this year: James Mercer of the Shins.

The songs all feel very monotonous to me and Brock sounds like he's doing his best David Byrne impersonation at times which, if it was actually good, I'd respect. But it's not good. And the song writing is not up to par with the most recent albums.

That coupled with the fact that they're pretty poor to mediocre live means this album is gone from my collection already.

lcw is by far the best album they'll ever make, imo

I'd like to see something more like M&A come from them.

Until then, they're dead to me. I just can't get into it.

This will be the worst album of the year for me hands down. It's awful: from Brock's awful singing on the opening track to the closing track an hour later (it feels like three days later) I was waiting for it to end.

Quick, name some non-epic length MM albums.

I have to say I didn't like this album much at first. M&A is still their most solid album to me. But this one does grow on you after awhile. I don't think anyone who's expecting a specific sound from them is bound to be all that pleased with this album, but its got its merits.