May 13, 2007 Washington, DC Black Cat

May 14, 2007 Carrboro, NC Cat's Cradle

May 15, 2007 Athens, GA 40 Watt Club

May 16, 2007 Nashville, TN Exit/In

May 18, 2007 Minneapolis, MN Fine Line Music Cafe

May 19, 2007 Chicago, IL Metro

May 20, 2007 Grand Rapids, MI The Intersection

Jun 02, 2007 Edmonton, AB Commonwealth Stadium The Police

I drove around sunny L.A. yesterday, listening to the "new" one--funny how our northern neighbors can make music so appropriate for smog, gelato, and palm trees. If I didn't have to keep both hands on the wheel, I would've clapped along to the beat.

p.s. Judy, Jon did "Only Love Will Break Your Heart" on Friday night!1!!

• 5 weeks later...

More dates for our Aussie friends:

Jun 07, 2007 Brisbane, The Globe Theatre

Jun 08, 2007 Sydney, Spectrum

Jun 09, 2007 Sydney, Spectrum

Jun 10, 2007 Melbourne, The Corner Hotel

Sloan played the Commodore last fall (October, I think). They seem to come here at least once a year, so maybe they'll appear again in the late summer or fall.

And hopefully they won't play the same night as Wilco (unless they're touring with them). ;)

Sloan played the Commodore last fall (October, I think).

Ah you're right! I believe I had class that night. At least that's my excuse. I tend not to find out about things till after.. like how George Martin came to town and gave a lecture, I didn't find out till this morning, when my friend showed me the autograph he got :ohwell

Unfortunately, I know what you mean. They attract very different audiences in Canada (where they're huge) and the US (where they're not). A couple of years ago, I saw Sloan two nights in a row, in Vancouver and Seattle. The show at the Commodore Ballroom attracted lots of drunk kids who enjoyed body surfing over a sea of broken pint glasses (why they don't serve beer in plastic cups, I'll never know :stunned ). The show at the tiny (!) Crocodile Cafe in Seattle drew an indie crowd which was very cool and enthusiastic. If you ever get a chance to see them in a small club in the States, it's a treat.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm on the guest list for the Metro show this Saturday and can't wait. I've always dabbled in this band, but my guess is that seeing them live will probably turn me into a legit fan. My two freinds i'm going with are insane over them.

For years, I've been thinking, "El Famous would really love Sloan, why doesn't he go see them live?" :lol

Have fun!

"El Famous would really love Sloan, why doesn't he go see them live?" :lol

Schedule conflicts mostly...the stars aligned perfectly to have this show pop on a Saturday, under the shadow of beautiful Wrigley Field that will be clearing out from the crosstown classic game earlier that afternoon. Whoo!

it's not the band i hate, it's their fans...

sorry, someone had to do it.

:lol good one.

i'll be seeing them in edmonton with the police... not a fan, but having lived in halifax, i've seen them 3 times already (back in the late 90s). i'll be interested in their set. maybe they'll play coax me and underwhelmed!!

Ohh - Just reading that Davey Lane and the Pictures are opening for the Sydney and Melbourne shows. Sloan should grow mutton chops to fit in with their openers and audience.

Now that would be a cool show to see, if we were not 5000 miles away.

really fun show on Saturday. i'd post a setlist if I had one...opened w/ 'flying high again' from the new one and never let up. the encore started w/ a couple of minutes of 'underwhelmed' w/ just Murph and their keyboard player...wish they would have played the whole thing AND they didn't play 'if it feels good do it'. 'money city maniacs' and 'losing california' made up for it. my buddies who have seen them the past few times they've swung through chicago said they are looking a little old and weren't as energetic, but I never would have noticed. i'd see them again.

met Murph and Jay afterwards, super nice guys.