Milltown Brothers! You mean I'm not the only person in America to have the Milltown Brothers in my collection? I was putting my CDs on itunes and I couldn't even find album artwork for Slinky.

Anyway, my wife and I had "Here, There and Everywhere" by the Beatles as our first dance song. We ended up giving the DJ a list of tunes we liked so they could get the feel of what type of music to play. All in all, they did a great job. Lots of Motown kept the guests dancing. It is a must to have a "Do Not Play" list with the DJ.

Agreed on the "Do not play" list. This is really been helpful...appreciate all the advice.

Slinky still gets periodic rotation in my house! I even bought two versions of the Apple Green 45 single when I went to England!

Cool. I always chuckle when one of the tunes pops up on a random play on itunes. Milltown Brothers and The High bring the same smile to my face.

One thing we did for our wedding was, since both of our parents were still alive and together, we had the DJ play our parent's wedding songs and let them each have a dance. My in-laws danced to a Frank Sinatra tune and my parents, since my grandmother picked their first dance song which they weren't happy with, rewrote their history and picked a Jefferson Airplane tune they had originally wanted. Psychedelic.

I too am getting married soon (June 15th), and appreciate all the responses.

My fiancee is Indian (Hindu) and I am Cajun/Italian mix (raised Catholic) from south Louisiana.

We are having a great Cajun band in our big reception room (Lost Bayou Ramblers), and a sitar player in the "lounge" area.

But I want a mix playlist for when the band takes a break, or if the party is still going after the band quits.

If anyone has any ideas on unique wedding ceremony music (not the traditional classical songs), I would appreciate it.

:cheers

My fiancee is Indian (Hindu) and I am Cajun/Italian mix (raised Catholic) from south Louisiana.

We are having a great Cajun band in our big reception room (Lost Bayou Ramblers), and a sitar player in the "lounge" area.

But I want a mix playlist for when the band takes a break, or if the party is still going after the band quits.

If anyone has any ideas on unique wedding ceremony music (not the traditional classical songs), I would appreciate it.

We've got a violin/cello/flute trio for our ceremony, but I believe my fiance has them learning a few modern songs that would translate well to the classical format. I'm sure there will be at least one Bowie song played, and more than likely a Tom Waits tune. Unfortunately I won't be able to hear any of it....I'll be "waiting in the wings" as it were.

Don't forget Elvis....

Wise men say only fools rush in

But I cant help falling in love with you

Shall I stay

Would it be a sin

If I cant help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea

Darling so it goes

Some things are meant to be

Take my hand, take my whole life too

For I cant help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea

Darling so it goes

Some things are meant to be

Take my hand, take my whole life too

i may have missed it being said, but Bob Dylan's "Wedding Song" is tailor-made.

lots o' folks getting hitched. i'm getting married myself on may 11. we are frustrating my family by being completely vague about what we are doing, granted we aren't doing much. going lowkey, having a bbq afterward. eventually having a party up in portland since that where most of our friends are.

Wilceaux....what part of Cajun country are you from? I just moved out to Denver last month, but before that I was in Baton Rouge from 1993 on. Lost bayou Ramblers are fantastic, should be a great party. For a time we were going to have the wedding in NOLA but things got out of hand on the numbers. However, I had the Red Stick Ramblers tentatively booked for the reception! Best of luck!

PS...incidentily....I will be flying down to Austin Thurs night for my bachelor party. May catch Son Volt Fri night, but if you are still in that area, I would appreciate any local knowledge on things to do. We've got a round fo golf planned at Barton Creek on Saturday and heading to the Salt Lick after that....but thats all the plans I know of?

Wilceaux....what part of Cajun country are you from? I just moved out to Denver last month, but before that I was in Baton Rouge from 1993 on. Lost bayou Ramblers are fantastic, should be a great party. For a time we were going to have the wedding in NOLA but things got out of hand on the numbers. However, I had the Red Stick Ramblers tentatively booked for the reception! Best of luck!

PS...incidentily....I will be flying down to Austin Thurs night for my bachelor party. May catch Son Volt Fri night, but if you are still in that area, I would appreciate any local knowledge on things to do. We've got a round fo golf planned at Barton Creek on Saturday and heading to the Salt Lick after that....but thats all the plans I know of?

I'm from Lake Charles. Lived in Baton Rouge for a couple years, and Lafayette for about 12 years.

I'm a big fan of Red Stick Ramblers as well.

I'll actually be in Lafayette Friday night for my "Bachelor" party with P-Funk.

I would recommend the Son Volt show in Helotes (outside of San Antonio) on Saturday night over the Stubb's show, if you don't mind making the drive. Either one will be great though. The band opening for Son Volt (High Strung) has an in-store show at Waterloo Records at 5:00PM on Friday. If you've never been, it's a fantastic record store. You might want to go to the Austin Chronicle website and look through the events going on this weekend. Their restaurant guide is also very helpful. Have a good time!

Ex-wife and I had our "first dance" or whatever you call it at the reception to Jerry Garcia's

"Shining Star."

Of course had the tune fade out after a verse or two. I still love the song and Jerry's version,

her well....I guess we I should have used the Dead's "Cold Rain & Snow."

I'm from Lake Charles. Lived in Baton Rouge for a couple years, and Lafayette for about 12 years.

I'm a big fan of Red Stick Ramblers as well.

I'll actually be in Lafayette Friday night for my "Bachelor" party with P-Funk.

I would recommend the Son Volt show in Helotes (outside of San Antonio) on Saturday night over the Stubb's show, if you don't mind making the drive. Either one will be great though. The band opening for Son Volt (High Strung) has an in-store show at Waterloo Records at 5:00PM on Friday. If you've never been, it's a fantastic record store. You might want to go to the Austin Chronicle website and look through the events going on this weekend. Their restaurant guide is also very helpful. Have a good time!

Cool...my fiancee is from Sulphur. have fun in Lafayette...really like that town. Appreciate the recs. Will probably saty in Austin, and may just check out some local stuff. Really enjoy Son Volts new album, but the last two Farrar shows I saw were a little too low key (actually boring) for this weekend. I'm a bit of a Vinyl collector and was planning on a trip to Waterloo...now i got a plan...thanks! I'll check out the Chronicle as well. You have a good time yourself....

We're having a "pretty swinging R&B band" play our wedding here in Chicago (the Peter Henes Orchestra), and they've been pretty accommodating. We're dancing to "Be Mine" by REM for the first dance, and I sent the band the notes for "I'm the Man Who Loves You" (a la the recent Wilco book) that the band will be playing (replete with horn section) -- my fiance's favorite Wilco song. Good times.

We're having a "pretty swinging R&B band" play our wedding here in Chicago (the Peter Henes Orchestra), and they've been pretty accommodating. We're dancing to "Be Mine" by REM for the first dance, and I sent the band the notes for "I'm the Man Who Loves You" (a la the recent Wilco book) that the band will be playing (replete with horn section) -- my fiance's favorite Wilco song. Good times.

Crazy! Sounds like a great band! Congrats and best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey all, thought I'd bump this for more advice. We have a string band that will be playing the ceremony and the cocktail hour, but we're going to move to a "DJ" (actually it will be a laptop with iTunes that wedding guests will take turns DJing) for the reception. I've got a great selection of tunes already (the stuff we like and listen to on a regular basis), but we feel we need more "fun" tunes. We have things like Michael Jackson, Run DMC, the Bee Gees and Journey in there, but wanted more suggestions. The group will be mostly in their 30's and 40's, so tunes from the '70s & '80s is what I'm thinking, but I really don't want a ton of disco. Nothing like the Macarena or the Electric Slide either, please. I know that's a lot of conditions, but any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!