New Pitchfork Interview

I had always heard that Glenn played 100% of the drums on the album but he did re-record some of Ken's parts, as Ken had played them, hence why Ken is mentioned in the liner notes.

anyone else secretly hoping pitchfork gives sky blue sky a poor grade? i can't stand the thought of all those little indie farts getting into wilco now if pitchfork gives sky blue sky a really good rating. i was quite pleased with the 6.6 given to a ghost is born, other than the 'greatest album of the century' title it deserved.

For starters, Pitchfork gave Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a 10.0 rating - I'd imagine that got a lot of people into their music myself included. And listen, I know hipsters can be loathsomely annoying, but your snobbery is pathetic.

Wilco is for everyone. Except dictators. They can't listen.

Like Jeff, for example?

He didn't step up tp the plate at any of the Wilco shows I've attended. I suspect he'll need to at their show in Atlanta next month. Chastain Park is notorious for yappers.

That was a pretty good read, there was a bit of tension, but it actually made things a little more interesting as by this point Tweedy is probably getting sick of being asked essentially the same five questions in every interview.

--Mike

For starters, Pitchfork gave Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a 10.0 rating - I'd imagine that got a lot of people into their music myself included. And listen, I know hipsters can be loathsomely annoying, but your snobbery is pathetic.

I thought that worked both ways--it definitely helped Tweedy and co shift records--but giving YHF (an album that had been around since July the previous year) a perfect 10.0 on its "official" release day was a tipping point for Pitchfork in terms of rising above the Dusted Glorious Noise and becoming most popular/highly trafficked (if not the best) of the music web-zines.

Giving 'A Ghost is Born' a mediocre rating was probably a bit of backlash by the PFork crew against Wilco. imo/fwiw/ymwv: 'A Ghost Is Born' has better individual songs and is, in many ways, um, a deeper listening experience / richer "work of art" (yikes) than YHF. YHF is as perfect an album as I've heard in a long ass time.

I always thought it kinda indicative of their hit or miss|mostly pointing out the obvious approach that Pfork didn't get around to the White Stripes til 'White Blood Cells'--something that originally was the first paragraph of the review of White Blood Cells (PFork complained about SFTRI not sending them review copies of the Stripes first 2 albums, so how could they know?), but has since been edited out for posterity, oddly enough (ain't the internets great)?

Pitchfork and Wilco are complimentary institutions now. I'd miss either of em if they were no more.

Not to derail this thread by any means (didn't think it warrented another thread), but a "heads up" that Wilco are the feature in the new Relix magazine (w/picture of JT on cover).

The mag used to be called Dead Relix and was devoted primarily to the GD, and now covers the jamband scene, mostly. The beginning of the article begins here but it looks like you'll need to pick the mag up to get the rest of the piece, if interested:

http://www.relix.com/content/blogcategory/64/185/

Woo-hoo! Relix too? So much Wilco reading to do and there are no major magazine retailers in my area! The family and I may have to make the 80 mile excursion to the nearest big and notorious (BN) bookseller to pick these all up as a Mom's day gift for me!