I know some people were curious about this show, thought I'd post here instead of digging up the other thread..

They played the majority of the new album :lol but also lots of older stuff thrown in (not that i mind..i havent been able to stop listening to SBS anyway, it was good to hear it live!) good fun, good banter, a pretty long set too. i dont go to northwestern, but ive been doing a project for the past 4 weeks of school (which technically ends today) where i've been learning about concert photography and going to shows and shooting, so this was kind of my last show to wrap it all up...anyway, borrowed a friends ID and got in no problem, so i'll post those pictures once i've got em up.

here's the setlist (as it's written..i believe there were a few changes..there are two songs crossed out, the opener was supposed to be Via Chicago, and the second to last song was supposed to be Spiders, which looots of people were calling out for throughout the show..guess they decided against it):

Impossible Germany

Sky Blue Sky

You Are My Face

Break Your Heart

Handshake Drugs

Side With The Seeds

Hummingbird

Shot In The Arm

Poor Places

Pot Kettle Black

Shake It Off

Theologians

Walken

I'm the Man

At least...

War on War

Jesus

Hate It Here

Kingpin

Late Greats

HMD

What Light

It was an incredible show, everyone looked like they were having a great time. I know it's been said time and time again, but Nels is just a guitar god. I NEVER tire of watching him. Also, full band PKB was DEFINITELY the highlight of the night. I heard them soundchecking it earlier in the day and was crossing my fingers (they also soundchecked At My Window Sad and Lonely and it sounded INCREDIBLE. Sadly, not on the set).

Also, I was the guy Jeff singled out as not being throw in the "rock and roll penalty box" because I knew the words to every song, was singing along, and probably knew the words to songs Jeff hadn't written yet. Probably one of the best minute-long conversations of my life. He was impressed with the alternate verse in Heavy Metal Drummer, too, and gave me "extra credit." I'm still smiling over it.

From what I heard they had a strict time limit of 2 hours and went over by about 10 minutes, so that might account for the omitted songs from the setlist. French Kicks opened, and I'm not sure if it was the sound mix or just the fact that they were all wasted when they hit the stage, but they weren't anything too special. Get ready for this tour, it's going to be amazing!

I hope someone uploads this show somewhere, I tried recording it myself by the results were complete s---, totally unlistenable.

Here's a review from the school paper, with pictures:

http://www.northbynorthwestern.com/2007/05/3475/aoball/

Feisty Tweedy leads Wilco to spectacular show at Patten

By Spencer Kornhaber

Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy is a smart man. At his band

full band pot kettle black was definitely the highlight of the night for me as well (with side with the seeds as a close second..ive really fallen in love with that song)

i thought the the french kicks were pretty good, but a lot of complaints that you couldnt hear a damn word the lead singer was saying. the music was decent though..i liked em, anyway..

here are a few photos, im still working on editing but here's the link to the rest

152052707-M.jpg 152056785-M.jpg 152072449-M.jpg

152060768-M.jpg

Those are great pics Morgan!

I only later realized that my stepson's best friend's parents are both professors at NU -- but I hadn't made any arrangements to go anyway. I would have felt like I was cheating! Did Erin go with you?

Those are great pics Morgan!

I only later realized that my stepson's best friend's parents are both professors at NU -- but I hadn't made any arrangements to go anyway. I would have felt like I was cheating! Did Erin go with you?

she actually ended up not being able to go, so i went solo..i probably wouldnt have bothered if it wasnt for my project, cause i was seriously doubting i was gonna get in..but i was in desperate need of some new pictures before my presentation this week. anyway, it ended up working out nicely, im glad i went! :D

Did they finally include the guitar part in Pot Kettle Black that they've eliminated in past live performances?
mm im not sure, sorry chris! it sounded fantastic though

Here's another review from the school paper...

http://media.www.dailynorthwestern.com/med...t-2903022.shtml

Wilco Wows Sold-Out Crowd At A&O Ball During Two-Hour Set

By Erin Dostal

The Daily Northwestern

Wilco, a Chicago-based band with a new album release and an upcoming European tour, performed on campus Friday for a crowd of more than 1,200 cheering fans.

The show, which also featured the French Kicks, drew a sold-out crowd at Patten Gym on Friday for A&O Productions' annual A&O Ball.

Alex White, A&O's incoming chairman, said he was excited for the show ever since the group booked the band.

"It's not often that a band in the height of its popularity falls in our price range and is available on a date that works for us," the SESP junior said.

Students began lining up outside Patten as early as 4 p.m. for the 8 p.m. show.

Tim DeMay, a Weinberg sophomore, said the show was one of the best he had seen in years.

"I knew kind of what to expect, but it definitely blew my expectations out of the water," DeMay said.

After the French Kicks played an opening set from 8 p.m. until 8:30 p.m., Wilco performed a two-hour show from 9 p.m. until 11 p.m.

Wilco, which formed in 1994, performed several songs from their new album, "Sky Blue Sky," which will be released Tuesday, as well as many of their older works. Crowd favorites included "Hummingbird" off their 2004 album "A Ghost is Born" and "Jesus, Etc." from their 2002 release, "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot."

Even while tuning one of his many guitars, Jeff Tweedy, Wilco's frontman, kept the audience's attention by cracking jokes.

"You guys realize that you live in a wedding cake or something?" he teased, later admitting he wasn't really sure what that meant.

Usually, A&O picks up artists performing at NU from the airport or their hotel. But because Wilco is based in Chicago, they drove themselves to the venue.

Tweedy dedicated the song "Hate it Here" to his wife, adding that she called it "The Liar Song" because it includes lyrics such as, "I do the dishes, I mow the lawn."

Tweedy said his wife attended the concert because Wilco will be abroad for the next three weeks, promoting their new release in several European cities.

Forrest Wickman, a Weinberg sophomore and the incoming A&O director of concerts, said he was thrilled to see one of his favorite bands perform at NU. He added that he was happy to see students looking forward to the show.

"The student body cares a lot about these shows, and frankly we always get tons of praise and tons of criticism, which just shows how much people care about this," Wickman said. "All that pressure makes me really want to bring the best."

White said A&O tried to make Patten feel as little like a gym as possible, moving merchandise and concessions into the lobby to create a "lounge feel" and lining the main hallway with posters from previous shows to "put the show into context … in the history of A&O."

More than 30 A&O members crewed the show, arriving at 7:30 a.m. to begin building the stage and working with sound and lighting engineers to set up for the two acts.

After the long preparation, the atmosphere during the performance was electric.

"Years from now we'll know that we brought one of the best bands in America at the time," Wickman said. "Everybody knew this was the band to go."

Ticket holders had to show Northwestern picture i.d.'s at the door, something that may have discouraged the usual tapers.

You basically had to be a student or someone that borrowed an i.d. from someone that wasn't outrageously different.

I tried recording this on my iPod. Distortion city. COMPLETELY unlistenable. (Also missed the first four songs)