Any Umphrey's McGee fans here? (Updated)

The genre's of music between Wilco and Umphrey's McGee is very different, but many Umphrey's fans are HUGE Wilco fans. I just wanted to see if there was a crossover in the fanbase here. I grew up in South Bend, where Umphrey's got their start before they moved to Chicago. I know a ton of you check out local bands here in Chi, just wanted to see if any of you have gotten a chance to see Umphrey's yet.

With Glenn opening for Umphrey's and also playing the show with Kris Myers (UM drummer) at Elmhurst College maybe there is some crossover. I'll admit, they dont' sound much alike, Umphrey's is pretty progressive and jammy, but I'd sure love to see Jake Cinninger and Nels go at it on stage sometime.

UPDATE

Here's a show for any of you that are interested. I don't know how this board works with uploading music, but this is a live show, and Umphrey's McGee is an advocate of trading their shows. If this is against the rules here, I apologize in advance.

Umphrey's At The Filmore

9-22-2006 The Filmore, Denver Colorado

Set I (acoustic)

1- August

2- Passing

3- Rocker

4- That's The Way

5- Always Up

6- End Of The Road

7- In The Kitchen

Set II (electric)

8- Divisions

9- Blue Echo

10- Partyin' Peeps

11- Morning Song

12- Got Your Milk (Right here)

13- Glory

14- Divisions

15- YYZ

Set III (electric)

16- The Triple Wide

17- Bright Lights

18- Walletsworth

19- Ringo

20- Nemo

21- Push The Pig

22- 40's Theme

23- Fearless

24- Plunger

For those of you new to Umphrey's who just want a little taste of the band, I urge you to listen to Rocker, Divisions, Morning Song, Glory>Divisions. For any Rush fans, there's a great YYZ cover on this show.

I've seen 'em a few times in CO and think they're plenty talented.

That is one thing that you cannot deny about Umphrey's, not everyone may like their music, but you cannot deny their talent.

Oh, and I do like their music, too.

They've got a real fun vibe about them and remind me a bit of Phish in the sense that they allow a lot of the songs to wend various ways depending on the mood/night/situation. Also, they've got a touch of the aloof/silly lyric thing going, too. And the penchant for quick time changes in a bunch of tunes.

Talented, sure. I don't appreciate their jams on near the same level as the Dead or even Phish.

But their songwriting is mostly pretty terrible (more from a lyrical standpoint than music).

Fair enough. I consider myself biased to the band because I grew up listening to their individual music before they formed Umphrey's. I do understand how you may not like their lyrics, they're a bit tongue-in-cheek at times.

Oh, and I do like their music, too.

They've got a real fun vibe about them and remind me a bit of Phish in the sense that they allow a lot of the songs to wend various ways depending on the mood/night/situation. Also, they've got a touch of the aloof/silly lyric thing going, too. And the penchant for quick time changes in a bunch of tunes.

They never play the same song the same way twice and usually don't repeat a song two nights in a row. I love how if they're playing an exciting show, where the crowed is really into it, they'll take a song and bring it up double-time, just to add to the energy.

I'm surprised more people on this here forum haven't listened to them much, seeing as Wilco and Umphrey's are two of the most talented acts out of Chicago right now.

Some friends of mine took me out to see them a couple years ago at Cains Ballroom in Tulsa and it bored me. I appreciate good jams but this particular night the jams weren't very good. I've tried to sit down and listen to them too and it just doesn't work. I'd be willing to give them another chance but I would probably just be there to have a night out with good pals.

Yeah, I saw the show with their drummer Kris Meyers playing at his old college Elmhurst college. And as you mentioned, Glenn was there, and performed an amazing "Monkey Chant."

But besies that, I do not know anything about Umphrey's McGee expect I heard their name mentioned once by someone and I asked what genere were they, and he said Jam band. So that's all I know.

• 1 year later...

So I guess these guys released a new album today. Has anyone here heard it? I am a fan of FZ, King Crimson, Phish, etc., so I have given these guys a LOT of chances and have seen them live probably five times (that's a lot of chances, dontcha think?). But they just never do it for me. NOW I have friends telling me THIS is a the album I will love. Thoughts?

So I guess these guys released a new album today. Has anyone here heard it? I am a fan of FZ, King Crimson, Phish, etc., so I have given these guys a LOT of chances and have seen them live probably five times (that's a lot of chances, dontcha think?). But they just never do it for me. NOW I have friends telling me THIS is a the album I will love. Thoughts?

I remember when Phish was dunzo there was a RS article that proclaimed them to be the "inheritor of the Phish jamband legacy" or some such crap. Like they were gonna get that big. Now that's a really unfair thing to lay on UM, if you ask me. I can see some similarities but Christ there's only one Phish!

I'm not a huge fan or anything, but Moe - have you heard their live disc from the Murat here in Indy? Came out a year or so ago. Pretty good stuff. But not the GD or FZ or even Phish - just some decent tunes.

Guest Gym Teacher Man

I'm an UM for sure. I saw them a couple times in Carbondale while in college. The second show blew me away. They closed with a just killer Walletsworth. God, the good old days - wasted and checking out bands with my college buddies...

I quite like Anchor Drops, and the others are good too. I also checked out brendan and jake at the vic for their xmas benefit back in dec '07. that was pretty sweet. they played Two of Us, my favorite Lennon tune, so i was happier than a pig in shit.

I will try to download that show in the first post this weekend if it's still around. And their new album, which i haven't heard anything about until Moe's post.

I would probably second the comment earlier about them being pretty weak lyrically. i've always found them to be rather trite. i mean, i like the line "the less you care to offer, the less you stand to lose" but it seems like that sort of sentiment is repeated in a number of songs.

I am a fan of FZ, King Crimson, Phish, etc., so I have given these guys a LOT of chances and have seen them live probably five times (that's a lot of chances, dontcha think?). But they just never do it for me. NOW I have friends telling me THIS is a the album I will love. Thoughts?

so pull out Red!!

still sounds phenomenal 34 years later

With 2 listens the new album isn't really doing it for me, all of it kind of sounds the same. There are some high points, worth the purchase for a UM fan of course. Maybe it'll grow on me? Anyways the tune In the Kitchen is what sold me on UM, their live in Chicago New Years cd is GREAT, highly recommended.