After listening to Sky Blue Sky on the home stereo, I've decided to chuck the cheap headphones I've been listening to the ipod with.

I hear Sennheiser are great, but what specific model, etc.?

If you have a pair that you love, please recommend.

I'm probably going to eventually buy a home pair and an "I don't want to walk around with giant headphones" portable pair, so both kinds would be helpful

We have these Sennheiser HD 202. They are mega cheap, $25. I like them rather well...they are super comfy, have a nice long cord and they sound great. I know that there are much nicer ones out there that are even better but if you want some low-priced Sennheiser, I recommend these.

goodcans.com is a good place to look for some ideas too.

I live in an apartment in NYC, so 90% of the music that I listen to at home is on headphones and I have done a ton of research on headphones. The holy grail of headphone websites is a place called Headroom -- www.headphone.com. That site has everything from reviews to articles to theories behind headphones. It is an invaluable site and I have bought all of my headphones from them. I can't recommend them highly enough. You should certainly surf around that site even if you dont buy from there.

When it comes to headphones, its mostly about budget. I have the Sennheiser HD 600s for home use and they are fantastic. This is the older top model from Sennheiser and prices came down on them when their new top model (HD 650, maybe?) came out. That being said, its still a lot of money. It was tough for me to swallow that expense -- I think it was $250 when I got them. But they are the most comfortable headphones I have ever put on my head -- its like two giant pillows on your ears, and the sound is pristine and perfect. Perfect home headphpnes.

If you are looking for cheaper home headphones, the Grado line is top notch as well. I am not a big fan of them because they are much less comfortable than the Sennheiser HD600s. But that being said, you can get a knock yer socks off sound for much less than the Sennheisers. I used to have the Grado 60s (?) and I think they were 80 bucks when I got them.

For portable headphones, I like the Shure EC3 headphones. Again, I spent way too much money on them ($200), but they make me so happy that it is worth it. They are noise cancelling, which for me is crucial, because what's the point of having portable headphones on the train, on the street, etc. if you can hear all the noise around you? The sound is amazing. The downside with these headphones is that they are headphones that have to be inserted into your ears. This can be uncomfortable, and the noise cancelling only works if a complete seal is formed in your ear. Depending on your ear canal, that can be tricky.

Good luck!

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and they're just great. However, I have used them for A LOT of drum tracking, and the right speaker sounds like I may have pushed it...a little too hard. I also use the Shure E3Cs for portability, and they're awesome. Great for plane rides and such as they block out ambient noise very, very well.

I love these. These days, they're less than $100. Hard to beat for the price.

You only like those because that's what Glenn was wearing in IATTBYH!!

I actually have a pair of those, and I don't recommend them. They're great if you're in the studio cause not much sound leaks out of it (which is exactly why you see Glenn and various other Wilco members wearing them) but overall, they sound pretty bad, IMHO.

If you want a really durable and great sounding headphone, get the Sony MDR-7506's. They are pretty much the industry standard in film and music production (you'll find a few pairs in any studio you walk into or any sound man you meet) and they will last forever.

You only like those because that's what Glenn was wearing in IATTBYH!!

I actually have a pair of those, and I don't recommend them. They're great if you're in the studio cause not much sound leaks out of it (which is exactly why you see Glenn and various other Wilco members wearing them) but overall, they sound pretty bad, IMHO.

Huh. I don't remember seeing Glenn wearing them. In any event, I may have had mine before I ever saw IATTBYH.

And, I think they sound fantastic. I've tried some pretty good cans over the years and these are probably the best ones I've experienced. Plus, as I said before, for the price they're really hard to beat.

After listening to Sky Blue Sky on the home stereo, I've decided to chuck the cheap headphones I've been listening to the ipod with.

I hear Sennheiser are great, but what specific model, etc.?

If you have a pair that you love, please recommend.

I'm probably going to eventually buy a home pair and an "I don't want to walk around with giant headphones" portable pair, so both kinds would be helpful

Boss also makes another pair for $150 The triport headphones. I have them and they are great!. :thumbup

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_...eadphones_index

• 7 months later...
Which are those? The link is dead. thanks

Fostex T50RP -- try this link instead.

These aren't noise-canceling or anything ... they're just basic studio headphones that happen to sound really good (in my opinion). I find them to be pretty comfortable as well (I like headphones that completely enclose my ears).

Amazon has them for $74, and you might be able to get them cheaper elsewhere.

Guest Speed Racer
thnaks for the comments so far. I think I'll probably go with the Sennheisers. Now to find them...

I've got a great pair of Sennheiser HD280's. Great sound quality, good at blocking ambient noise, and fold for relatively handy traveling.