Shepherds Bush Setlist and Ramblings (2nd show - Monday May 21st, 2007)

I noticed that the setlist from last night is posted as May 21st, when in fact it was May 20th. Anyways, I was there last night and have to admit to being the guy who said 'it doesn't work like that' when Jeff said that the audience couldn't speak to him as he was not insitgating conversation. I agree with the previous posters who said that all the banter was light hearted and in good humour.

Back to tonight's show....

Setlist:

Sunken treasure

You Are My Face

Side with the Seeds

I am Trying to Break Your Heart

Handshake Drugs

At Least That's What You Said

A Shot in the Arm

Via Chicago

Impossible Germany

Sky Blue Sky

Hummingbird

War on War

Jesus etc.

Walken

Theologians

I'm the Man Who Loves You

-----

E1

Misunderstood

Poor Places

Reservations

Kidsmoke

-----

E2

Hate It Here

California Stars

Although it might be tempting to look at the setlist and think that this was a similar show to last night, the reality was as Jeff said at one point, that they played much better tonight. In fact it was on a different plane! There was a real energy tonight that in retrospect just did not appear last night. Jeff did not so much as open his mouth other than to sing until about 10 songs in and then as soon as he did someone yelled out for a song and he did the whole mock self-pity thing 'That's why I don't talk to the audience...' But there is no doubt that he was up for the show and there was a crispness to the whole evening.

One thing I have always loved about Wilco is how quickly the new songs blend into the live repertoire with the new album no exception. Hate it Here, which he dedicated to his wife as the song she dubs the 'Liar Song', and Walken feel like they have always been there are are set to become real crowd pleasers in future live shows.

Well I did use the word ramblings in the topic title so no one can sue me under the trades description act, but in the immortal words of Marti de Berghi, enough of my yakkin.

I like how Jeff said "Does anybody have a cheeseburger?" during the guitar feedback intro to ITMWLY. Some people who were listening to the webcast may not have heard it, since he said it so quietly. That might become a running gag at future shows.

Thoroughly enjoyed this - though from a relatively long way back as I saw The National do a free event at a record store (also excellent - that Matt Thingy is a nice guy: they were mingling at the bar etc. afterwards). Seeing them tomorrow for hard cash too. But all this did mean that I did not meet up with a couple of VC diehards who I know were around. Shame.

Don't know if you've had this in the US/Australia for a while, but the big difference for me compared to a couple of years ago was how much more obviously everyone seemed to be enjoying it. JT was practically beaming most of the time, with much more expression and inflection. John was bouncing all over the place. Must be a combination of a cure for London-itus (think the solo show did it), general healthy Jeff, and the band in the co-operative groove they've got going. Very nice to see. JT's voice is sounding better and better. Nasty fags :-)

They were rocking (so much for SBS being a mellow album), and though I 've been enjoying SBS, the songs are certainly much better live. Even Walken, the one track I can't get on with, came to life.

As an aside, the song from SBS that I can't get out of my head is Leave Me Like You Found Me. Not sure if it'll ever get played live though - the female 'original Star Trek theme' backing vocals might be a bit tricky. John - get those tight jeans on son.

Thanks guys. Good luck on Later with Jools Holland tomorrow.

Don't know if you've had this in the US/Australia for a while, but the big difference for me compared to a couple of years ago was how much more obviously everyone seemed to be enjoying it. JT was practically beaming most of the time, with much more expression and inflection. John was bouncing all over the place. Must be a combination of a cure for London-itus (think the solo show did it), general healthy Jeff, and the band in the co-operative groove they've got going. Very nice to see. JT's voice is sounding better and better. Nasty fags :-)

i noticed that down here as well... much more upbeat atmosphere than 2003

"Don't know if you've had this in the US/Australia for a while, but the big difference for me compared to a couple of years ago was how much more obviously everyone seemed to be enjoying it. JT was practically beaming most of the time, with much more expression and inflection. "

I was on the balcony level one, right in front of the stage left speakers and had a great view of jeff all night. I completely agree that Jeff's demenaour and in fact the rapport amongst the whole band, was the most relaxed I've ever seen them. I can honestly say that for the first time since I've been seeing Wilco shows (nigh on ten years) that there was absolutley no edginess about Jeff last night and he acyually seemed to be enjoying the show. It was a joy to behold.

"They were rocking (so much for SBS being a mellow album), and though I 've been enjoying SBS, the songs are certainly much better live. Even Walken, the one track I can't get on with, came to life."

Again, completely agree. Walken doesn't do much for me on the album but really came alive last night (not so much on the first night, but I think that was a combination of jet-lag and Sunday-night London-itus, as you call it). Hate It Here followed by California Stars to close the show was an inspired piece of set-listing.

Anybody coming to Paris for the Bataclan show next week?

I like how Jeff said "Does anybody have a cheeseburger?" during the guitar feedback intro to ITMWLY. Some people who were listening to the webcast may not have heard it, since he said it so quietly. That might become a running gag at future shows.

He made the same crack the previous night too.

:) Nice to see the cheeseburger story make it through another night - was just a completely random thing to happen and seemed a little out of character for Jeff over on British soil, perhaps he does love us after all!

Glad you guys all had a good time though!

Opening with Sunken Treasure was breathtaking. Nels played lap steel..... you could have heard a pin drop, it was beautiful, and what it meant was that anything after that was going have such an impact. It completely set the mood for the evening, Nels was already grinning by the end of the first song.

Handshake Drugs and Shot In The Arm were blinding, they were playing like a band from another planet!! The crowd and the band were so into it, A couple less tunes from SBS than the first night.

The first night (set-wise) seemed to be a little more audience friendly (Late Greats, Muzzle, What Light, etc) but the second night was amazing, the best I've seen them. I hope the webcast has been successfully 'saved'...??

the differences in the set lists were we didn't get Shake It Off, Muzzle, Late Greats, What Light, Airline To Heaven nad Be Not So Fearful with Bill Fay, which was quite special, but in their place was opening with Sunken Treasure (I could have gone home happy after that), Theologians, the amazing encore with Misundestood and Reservations, and Hate It Here and California Stars...

having seen both nights, I would have been disappointed to have missed either, but the second night was a little special both

was sunken treasure played in the Being there arrangement or the solo tweedy+band version of 2002-3?

It was like a new arrangement. It was quite slow, started with Jeff solo, but the parts where it built up weren't like on Being There, it was kind of... beautiful. It was one of those moments when you were just glad to be where you were, the audience knew it, and there was a definite 'connection', I was welling up!

hey guys,

i wanted to let you guys know that I have some photos from Monday's gig at SBE up on a small review site: http://tohellwith.co.uk/html/display_selec...;contentID=1729

Let me know what you think of the pics!

Thanks

Oh! I almost forgot, thank you adrock for the entire set list. It was quite useful. I spent the show in a constant state of awe. :)

Funhouse boy

My wife will be well chuffed with that first photo (she's the one in the Orange "Kaysettes" t-shirt front and centre) Have you got a higher-res version of that one that I could get a copy of please?

My first post on here by the way, so...hello everybody! :thumbup

Both nights in London were amazing! :worship

I've sent my photos to the Wilcobase website, which have now been added on the set list page for those gigs! Great site and message board by the way!

516314157_e1a4815792.jpg