so I just heard about three songs from Emitt Rhodes. It's amazing stuff, his voice is rather McCartney-esque. It's great stuff. :thumbup

anybody else hear of him?

Newly discovered I assume you mean. I do have the self titled on vinyl and love it. I don't think anything is currently in print.

Actually the album The American Dream is available to buy, which is very good (maybe not quite as good as his self-titled, but good none-the-less). Now, you can either buy this as a single disc, or I'd actually recommend people buying listen listen by the merry-go-round which also contains the album, but with a whole bunch of other tracks from Rhodes's first band the merry-go-round.

the self titled is great.

i have known about him since the royal tenebaums, lullabye was in the film.

i have been told that he released this just a few weeks before mccartneys first one, and that really hurt him. i guess people always refering to him as a mccartney lookalike kept him from moving out of his mothers basement!

even that it does sound alot like the maccaman....

see you.

yeah i have the self-titled and it's a darn good album.

i too didn't hear about him until i saw Royal. and i understand he ended up in the film because Schwartzman introduced Emitt to Wes.

good music. "Fresh As A Daisy" I especially like.

Wow..not to be left out knowing more about this sensational new music from 35 years ago, I found copies of Mirror and the album with the broken window on the cover at Recycled Records in Springfield yesterday. I will check them out and chime in with a bit more info.

(For some reason I always think of Emitt Rhodes and Shawn Phillips together.)

Had a good day at Recycled, found three vinyl Pere Ubu I didn't have and a $4 copy of All the Young Dudes.

LouieB

• 4 weeks later...

Just discovered Emitt recently thanks to a friend lending me a compilation, which contains his whole 1st solo album, then a selection of the 2nd and 3rd albums.

I'd really recommend the self-titled 1st album, it's damn hot. Great songs, and all played and recorded by Emitt at home on a big old 4-track, which psychologically makes it even cooler!

The other records I could easily leave, except "Better Side Of Life" from the 2nd album which is a great Dear Prudence-y type thing.

Yep, he sounds like McCartney, in the voice and the songs.

• 2 years later...

http://www.myspace.com/theemittrhodesband

i was very surprised to find out that they finally put his 4 solo albums back in print - i think a limited 5,000 printing 2 CD set and also that he is recording new music.

i was able to buy the self-titled and Mirror on vinyl pretty cheaply on eBay a few years ago. haven't been able to find the last one recently, but now i'll have the CD.

I got that Rhodes 2-CD reissue a month or so ago. It's great to finally have these albums available again after all these years. Hopefully more people will discover this fantastic songwriter.

I got that Rhodes 2-CD reissue a month or so ago. It's great to finally have these albums available again after all these years. Hopefully more people will discover this fantastic songwriter.

here's a recent 40 min interview link a DJ sent me (i read about it on his Myspace and then e-mailed the station about it):

http://download.yousendit.com/dVlyK0d1K3g5RllLSkE9PQ

now playing:

51H9Qf8xvzL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Emitt Rhodes is often written off as nothing more than a Paul McCartney wanna-be. Well, who wouldn't want to have a beautiful voice, be able to write lush and unforgettable melodies and also be rich and famous? Certainly Rhodes qualifies on the first two counts (failed miserably on the third) and to be honest his voice does sound eerily reminiscent of McCartney, but his strong songwriting and the deeply emotional qualities he brings to those songs make him far more than a McCartney clone. This CD covers the three records he made for Dunhill in the early 1970s, including all of his self-titled debut solo release. Emitt Rhodes is a lost classic filled with songs that easily stack up against the finest power pop. "Fresh As a Daisy" should have been a number one hit, with it's soaring vocal harmonies and star-crossed melody. "Live Till You Die" has beautiful vocals and the kind of chorus you find yourself humming all day long. Every song has a knockout hook, and the whole record sounds like it was recorded directly from Rhodes' soul. A pop masterpiece. Also included on the disc are six songs from his second album, 1972's Mirror, and five songs from his third (and, so far, last) album, 1973's Farewell to Paradise. The tracks from Mirror are not as lush and feel less immediate than those from Emitt Rhodes. The melodies don't sparkle and there seems to be a lack of inspiration and emotion. Having said that, Mirror is still a very good record, and the tracks Edsel chose are the best from it (although they left off "Bubblegum the Blues," which is a light-hearted romp that offsets some of Mirror's world-weary feeling). Farewell to Paradise finds Rhodes experimenting with new instrumentation and expanding his musical palette. Some of the songs, like "Warm Self Sacrifice," have a kind of rollicking, earthy feel, and "Shoot the Moon" is even downright funky. Again, Rhodes is in fine vocal form, and the songs Edsel chose from Farewell to Paradise are uniformly good. Emitt Rhodes missed his shot to become a pop star but you shouldn't miss your chance to discover him and this is a fine place to start. (You should also check out Listen Listen: The Best of Emitt Rhodes, which has songs from Rhodes' three solo albums and five great songs by his 1960s group the Merry-Go-Round).
  • 7 years later...

I guess I am supposed to resurrect an old thread instead of starting a new one.

Emitt finally released a new album earlier this year called Rainbow Ends.

I was curious if anyone has heard this album.

I only recently got to hear it and was pleasantly surprised.

I think it most sounds like the 70's.

With a lot of older musicians you can tell the producers try to put slight Auto-Tune on their vocals. Emitt's voice sounds rich and full and the production and playing is top notch.

I would call it mature, sophisticated pop rock?

It's similar to stuff Wilco has done at times.

I'm not a massive Emmit Rhodes fan (which seems to be the size most fans come in) though there are 6 or 7 of his songs that, when they come up on shuffle, I never skip. New album is an impressive continuation of what he started 40+ years ago. The song "Someone Else" is super catchy and does that thing he does so well. Definitely worth checking out.