The inevitable sell out post

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've asked before, and still have not recieved a solid answer.

Why is it that some fans become upset when thier favorite band becomes popular?

I mean really, is it that you just cant stand the fact that you might like something mainstream? You were a big fan of Boy, but once those bastardos sold out and released Rattle and Hum fergeit it. Now every 15 year old kid with a bad case of acne is a U2 Fan. Not you though, you've moved on and "found" Husker Du.

I didnt get it then, and I dont get it now

To give you an honest opinion and not a sardonic rebuttal on this post:

I think that maybe people who are addicted to being into things that no one else really knows about feel like they have some authority over the majority because they know something you don't. If you notice, they'll try to push their favorite bands on you, but then feel cheated if that band shows up on a popular movie/TV commercial/popular TV show.

The reason for this, I believe, is:

1. they feel that they have to fight to prove their genuineness as a fan. Like when people say "I've been a fan of this band since blah blah blah." and you're thinking yeah... right

or

2. Someone they don't like might become a fan of this band putting them on the same level in a way. Like... what if J-Lo announced that she was a huge Wilco fan? Would you feel a little dirty? Or maybe kind of irritated that she probably just doesn't get it?

I'm not claiming to be an expert... these are just theories. Personally, I hope Wilco gets all the attention they deserve and they're still going to be my favorite no matter what because I can't think of a single Wilco song that doesn't make me feel good when I hear it.

yeah - but thats nonsense, in that the whole point of a band in 2007 is to sell records/concerts/t-shirts/etc.etc.

Sure, the artist enjoys his/her work - but do you really think that Wilco would exist if it made no money, if it was a bunch of guys in a garage fiddling around?

they're still going to be my favorite no matter what because I can't think of a single Wilco song that doesn't make me feel good when I hear it.

You've apparently not heard their version of "baby killer (the feel bad song)"?

To give you an honest opinion and not a sardonic rebuttal on this post:

I think that maybe people who are addicted to being into things that no one else really knows about feel like they have some authority over the majority because they know something you don't. If you notice, they'll try to push their favorite bands on you, but then feel cheated if that band shows up on a popular movie/TV commercial/popular TV show.

The reason for this, I believe, is:

1. they feel that they have to fight to prove their genuineness as a fan. Like when people say "I've been a fan of this band since blah blah blah." and you're thinking yeah... right

or

2. Someone they don't like might become a fan of this band putting them on the same level in a way. Like... what if J-Lo announced that she was a huge Wilco fan? Would you feel a little dirty? Or maybe kind of irritated that she probably just doesn't get it?

I'm not claiming to be an expert... these are just theories. Personally, I hope Wilco gets all the attention they deserve and they're still going to be my favorite no matter what because I can't think of a single Wilco song that doesn't make me feel good when I hear it.

This is, and has been my point all along

Thank You

yeah - but thats nonsense, in that the whole point of a band in 2007 is to sell records/concerts/t-shirts/etc.etc.

Sure, the artist enjoys his/her work - but do you really think that Wilco would exist if it made no money, if it was a bunch of guys in a garage fiddling around?

:lol

Look, I'm on the other side of this one, but if you can't tell the difference between a band selling a t-shirt or a tote bag with their logo on it, and a band licensing its music to a corporation that has no other tie to the band than the pile of money they paid for the right to use the song in a commercial, then I'm not sure I can help you understand.

For acts that I've followed since they were small, I usually start to lose interest when I can no longer experience them in an intimate setting. I don't hold it against them or badmouth them, I just lose interest. For example, about 7-8 years ago, Modest Mouse used to come around here every year, and I'd go see them in a local club, with about 300 other people.

On the other hand, in my view, Wilco has done their best to reconcile popularity with a genuine care for their fans. They have continually tried to make themselves accessible while also reaching a wider audience, and I'll probably continue to see them (although I'm not as much of a rabid fan as I once was), even though it's tough to get as close to them as I once could.

That said, the November Auditorium show was one of the best ever.

I don't get too worried about it, all in all, though. If a band runs out of steam, that's just part of the tradition. If you're not ready for it to happen, don't let it.

Look, I'm on the other side of this one, but if you can't tell the difference between a band selling a t-shirt or a tote bag with their logo on it, and a band licensing its music to a corporation that has no other tie to the band than the pile of money they paid for the right to use the song in a commercial, then I'm not sure I can help you understand.

Wilco has done both of these.

Wow. Just wow.

I saw that jnickerson has a Toyota Echo. Nice car.

Note EB online:

Don't you suppose that some of those engines were used in planes/trains/automobiles that transported the Japanese on their way to killing people -- and also transported their slave laborers (chinese and other asians, not to mention POWs? I know for a fact that the Toyoda family is still involved (Shoichiro Toyoda is the honorary chairman).

I'm also sure that the Echo that you liked had the features/function/price/location that made it possible, even desirable, for you to buy it. That "feature/function" set was put together by -- you guessed it -- marketers. A different set of marketers made it possible for you to know where to go buy it -- and to look online and at brochures to do so. Even if you bought it used -- the same forces brought you and it together.

Same goes for that TV upon which you watched the dread Wilco/VW commercials. Those nasty, souless marketers -- and their sell-out jingles -- helped you buy it, like it or not.

I bought the Echo based on its fuel efficiency

Sure there is a difference.

But I dont think its as big as some might make it out to be.

A band puts a logo on a product in order to advertise itself. Same thing as selling the rights to a song. And if someone in the band believed that it was going to be used to sell something objectionable (without getting into the whole Nazi, WWII Hitler thing) I'm pretty sure the rights would not have been released

For acts that I've followed since they were small, I usually start to lose interest when I can no longer experience them in an intimate setting.

me too... I'm one of the people who hangs around after the show to say "good job, guys!" or ask questions or whatever. So the fact that I've never gotten to see Wilco live and I probably can't get close enough to give Nels Cline so much as a thumbs up is sad, but I still love the music.

Sure there is a difference.

But I dont think its as big as some might make it out to be.

A band puts a logo on a product in order to advertise itself. Same thing as selling the rights to a song. And if someone in the band believed that it was going to be used to sell something objectionable (without getting into the whole Nazi, WWII Hitler thing) I'm pretty sure the rights would not have been released

I agree with that, and that's what I've posted throughout this thread.

I usually start to lose interest when I can no longer experience them in an intimate setting.

I often have the same issue (but not always). Some bands just don't translate well to larger venues as their appeal grows (e.g., the Shins, the Decemberists, etc.). I don't think that means that I cease liking bands because they became popular. But maybe it does.