The inevitable sell out post

Godwin's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

:yes Also,

There is a tradition in many online discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost" whatever debate was in progress. This principle is itself frequently referred to as Godwin's Law. Thus Godwin's Law effectively serves to impose an upper bound on thread length in general.

Thread over.

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this thread is a good thing - you can only have so many Wilco is Awesome! threads.

Like someone said - if a band has a big enough following to create a message board, then why not have discussions like this. Some people feel strongly, others want to joke around, and some want to be critical of the those who feel strongly/joke around. I have been all three. This is the pattern that usually happens here - for better or worse.

The discussion is absolutely a good thing, despite it getting a bit hysterical for the last couple of pages...

The discussion is absolutely a good thing, despite it getting a bit hysterical for the last couple of pages...

You know, the Nazi

Guest Jules

Wilco has had songs in commercials before. Am I missing something here? What is different this time to warrant all of this?

There are some interesting comments on both sides here, I just don't see how any of it is new to Wilco.

Just wondering. Does Wilco make any money from this commerical? Or does just Nonesuch? How does that work?

In the grand scheme of things I can understand why they would allow this if they did. Question, would you rather:

Have to make a house payment every month?

- or -

Not have to make a house payment every month?

I would sell one of my songs for the latter.

Wilco has had songs in commercials before. Am I missing something here? What is different this time to warrant all of this?

There are some interesting comments on both sides here, I just don't see how any of it is new to Wilco.

They've also made artistic decisions based on business issues (didn't they acquiesce to Reprise and add a more radio-friendly song to Summerteeth?) Which doesn't necessarily prove that Wilco haven't "sold out", but maybe that the people who are viewing the VW ad as some kind of shark jumping might be ignoring a lot of past behaviour inconsistent with pure art untainted by caplitalism.

Let me know when Wilco buys the naming rights to a sporting arena or concert hall, because that has long been one of my biggest pet peeves. I hate that shit.

This still ranks fairly low on the corporate-evilness meter, but I've got my eye on you, Wilco. I've got my eye on you. :ninja

I would think Jeff gets the money - although - I see some songwriting credits are being shared now.

the commercials use the sound recording and composition so some sort of synch fee or master use license should result in money for the band and the songwriters.

In the grand scheme of things I can understand why they would allow this if they did.

At least it's not a goddam Hummer commercial.

Let me know when Wilco buys the naming rights to a sporting arena or concert hall, because that has long been one of my biggest pet peeves. I hate that shit.

When the new park opened here in 2000, it was Pac Bell Park. In 2004, it became SBC Park, and in 2006, AT&T Park. Same company, just mergers, etc. Now we just call it "Phone Company Park".

Nothing to do with Wilco and VW, just an example of naming-rights lameness.

How would that work, exactly? Would it be "WalMart presents Wilco", or would they just flat out change their name, so you'd see something like "tonight at the Bank of Amercia Pavilion... Microsoft"?

How would that work, exactly? Would it be "WalMart presents Wilco", or would they just flat out change their name, so you'd see something like "tonight at the Bank of Amercia Pavilion... Microsoft"?

Why stop there?

"Our love, our love is all of Amazon.com's money..."

My personal deal is - I just don't like to hear some song/band I am emtionaly connected with used in a commerical.

One of my heros, Pete Townshend, takes people to task for jumping on him about this. I still don't like it though.

it's up to whomever ponies up the most cash. I kind of like ction presents the Wilco you used to like. For enough money I bet he could write the setlists as well.

Punk rock "Passenger Side" on repeat for 25 minutes, then Sansone does his GG Allin schtick and we're all out of there in under 40 minutes.

Wow. Just wow.

I saw that jnickerson has a Toyota Echo. Nice car.

Note EB online:

Japanese automaker and one of the world's largest corporations; founded 1935 by Kiichiro Toyoda, as a division of Toyoda Automatic Looms Works, to develop fuel-efficient engines....

Don't you suppose that some of those engines were used in planes/trains/automobiles that transported the Japanese on their way to killing people -- and also transported their slave laborers (chinese and other asians, not to mention POWs? I know for a fact that the Toyoda family is still involved (Shoichiro Toyoda is the honorary chairman).

I'm also sure that the Echo that you liked had the features/function/price/location that made it possible, even desirable, for you to buy it. That "feature/function" set was put together by -- you guessed it -- marketers. A different set of marketers made it possible for you to know where to go buy it -- and to look online and at brochures to do so. Even if you bought it used -- the same forces brought you and it together.

Same goes for that TV upon which you watched the dread Wilco/VW commercials. Those nasty, souless marketers -- and their sell-out jingles -- helped you buy it, like it or not.

I'm not going to read this 16 page mess.

Wilco songs have been in TV shows. Did anyone cry then?

Commercial radio play vs. selling a song for a television ad...there is ZERO difference in terms of "integrity" (or whatever the opposite of "selling out" is). Your song is most definitely being used as a commercial for a product either way. At least when your song is used in a specific ad you, and not the ad department at Clear Channel, get to choose the product.

Wilco songs have been in TV shows. Did anyone cry then?
Songs in TV shows or movies is great exposure for a musician and not the same thing as selling a song for an ad; sorry I don't buy that. The argument here (for however goofy it is), doesn't extend to move/TV music, which is always fair game. Any and all musicians want their work used in conjunction with other types of art.

LouieB

I've asked before, and still have not recieved a solid answer.

Why is it that some fans become upset when thier favorite band becomes popular?

I mean really, is it that you just cant stand the fact that you might like something mainstream? You were a big fan of Boy, but once those bastardos sold out and released Rattle and Hum fergeit it. Now every 15 year old kid with a bad case of acne is a U2 Fan. Not you though, you've moved on and "found" Husker Du.

I didnt get it then, and I dont get it now