There's a bunch of reports out on the various web sites quoting Guiellen (spelling?) as saying he thinks his white sox are a "joke" interesting....the Chisox are just imploding lately it seems

He also had dinner with Miguel Cabrera and told him he's fat. Meanwhile, Cabrera is having the best year of his career and is currently 2nd in the NL in OPS. So I think his weight is fine.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, the way I look at it is he could be the worst defensive 3rd baseman in the major (which he isn't, he's got a canon arm and good range to his right, it's his left that needs work) but he's so ridiculously good as a hitter that it wouldn't matter to me.

My point is most of the people who complain about his weight do so in regards to his defense. They think his weight is the reason he has made so many errors. These people obviously do not watch the Marlins play, because every error he has made, pretty much has been a result of him not taking his time or just not thinking about the play.

Also Aaron Boone is the worst first baseman in the league, so that doesn't help our infielders either. He can't pick the ball to save his life.

I like to call it "orioleing". Try using it in conversation...I'm really hoping it catches on. :dancing

That's funny :thumbup ...wonder if Ozzie will get the axe, the fans or writers up there calling for his head yet?

Also Aaron Boone is the worst first baseman in the league, so that doesn't help our infielders either. He can't pick the ball to save his life.

what happened to jacobs?

Bill Stoneman doesn't make trades. The depth of this team is ridiculous.

Really? The depth of your one good hitter is ridiculous?

Sure, you've got like 19 good pitchers, but without somebody besides Vlad hitting the ball, I'd be shocked if you made the playoffs.

Really? The depth of your one good hitter is ridiculous?

Sure, you've got like 19 good pitchers, but without somebody besides Vlad hitting the ball, I'd be shocked if you made the playoffs.

Are you kidding me?! Tied for most wins in baseball with 4 hitters in the top 12 in batting (AL). C'mon, check your facts before posting next time.

Tied for most wins in baseball with 4 hitters in the top 12 in batting. C'mon, check your facts before posting next time.

I don't know what Nerdy has lined up as a response to those stats, but the second part is pretty funny to me considering his posting history in the MLB threads. If he doesn't back up what he said, he may deserve a mulligan.

Are you kidding me?! Tied for most wins in baseball with 4 hitters in the top 12 in batting (AL). C'mon, check your facts before posting next time.

Admittedly, I didn't look at the stats, so you've got me there. Now that I am looking at them, however, almost all of your players are performing above their career averages (either in the majors, or for the rookies and young players, in the minors.) That is a team that is overperforming, and there is a reason they are trying desperately to pick up another big bat.

Reggie Willits MiLB OPS: .794

Reggie Willits MLB OPS: .852

Orlando Cabrera Career OPS: .728

Orlando Cabrera 2007 OPS: .837

Casey Kotchman MiLB OPS: .900

Casey Kotchman MLB OPS: .967

Those 3 guys are performing so far over their heads that when they come back to earth by themselves it's going to hurt them, let alone when your pitchers come back to earth. Not to mention the Angels are 3 games over their Expected W/L record based on their runs scored, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2nd half stumble.

And the fact that they have 4 players in the top 12 in batting just goes to show how big of a fall they are in for before too long. Especially when of those four hitters, I wouldn't expect more than 2 of them to finish at .300 by season's end.

Though you won't find a bigger Mike Napoli fan out there. He went to the same high school as me and he's the only player to make it to the majors, as far as I know.

Admittedly, I didn't look at the stats, so you've got me there. Now that I am looking at them, however, almost all of your players are performing above their career averages (either in the majors, or for the rookies and young players, in the minors.) That is a team that is overperforming, and there is a reason they are trying desperately to pick up another big bat.

Reggie Willits MiLB OPS: .794

Reggie Willits MLB OPS: .852

Orlando Cabrera Career OPS: .728

Orlando Cabrera 2007 OPS: .837

Casey Kotchman MiLB OPS: .900

Casey Kotchman MLB OPS: .967

Those 3 guys are performing so far over their heads that when they come back to earth by themselves it's going to hurt them, let alone when your pitchers come back to earth. Not to mention the Angels are 3 games over their Expected W/L record based on their runs scored, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2nd half stumble.

And the fact that they have 4 players in the top 12 in batting just goes to show how big of a fall they are in for before too long. Especially when of those four hitters, I wouldn't expect more than 2 of them to finish at .300 by season's end.

Though you won't find a bigger Mike Napoli fan out there. He went to the same high school as me and he's the only player to make it to the majors, as far as I know.

If you watched their approach at the plate night after night you might think otherwise. Also, there are a couple other guys who are just tearing it up - Chone Figgins and Howie Kendrick (why don't you through his minor league stats up here so we can make projections). The Angels are not desperately seeking out a bat. Juan Rivera is due back mid-July to provide a boost in power behind Vlad and to relieve Shea Hillenbrand of his suckiness. They have all the necessary elements of a championship caliber team and there's no reason to screw that up.

I believe this team will continue to hit like they do and continue to win. They wrapped up their 8th straight series win tonight and did so putting up 10 runs on 17 hits. These guys are hot and look to stay hot.

The depth I was referring to in an earlier post is pretty solid at all positions except 3rd base. In the outfield they have 2 guys on the DL that are due back next month, Vlad, Willits, Matthews, Nathan Haynes (386 avg. in 44 games in AAA), Terry Evans (331 avg., 11 HR in AAA)... In the infield they have a bunch of utility guys who can hit and, more importantly, run the bases. Shea Hillenbrand is the only weak link. Once Juan Rivera comes back you can kiss his ass goodbye. With all the young talent surrounding the stars there is no need for help anywhere but DH and Rivera/Anderson will fill that void.

I'm a huge Howie Kendrick fan, and he's going to win multiple batting titles before he's done. Kid's gonna be great. Chone Figgins is very much a "meh" player, I have nothing to say about him other than he's having close to a career year and he's still very much a league average or below player. Juan Rivera is not going to be a savior, and I can definitely see this team going on a long slide soon (mostly because they remind me alot of the Red Sox through April and May; Overperforming their expected win/loss with career best numbers from key contributors), but they'll probably still be there in the end, but not because of their hitting. If they are there, it'll be because they have great pitching depth, and hopefully for them they'll have guys remain hot. Frankly, I don't see any way in hell Willits and Cabrera out OPS their career numbers by more than 50 a piece, or that Kotchman continues swinging a crazy bat. Cotchman's a fine hitter, and he'll put up probably average numbers for a first baseman, but not too much more, probably.

Also, the Angels have been rumored to be interested in, among others, Miguel Cabrera, Mark Teixeira, Miguel Tejada, Adam Dunn, Jason Giambi, Todd Helton, Carl Crawford, Garret Atkins, Brad Hawpe, Hank Blalock, Mike Lowell, A-Rod, and Shawn Green at various points in the season. Sounds to me like they have at least some interest in acquiring a bat of some sort. But what do I know?

I mean, hey it's ok to think that like 6 of your starters will have career years at the same time that 4 of 5 starting pitchers have career years. It's possible that Orlando Cabrera will continue being a far above league average offensive producer when for a decade he showed that couldn't even come close to being league average for the most part. Yes, it's possible that the entire team will have an OPS+ of 108 and an ERA+ of 110 by season's end. But it's also entirely improbably based purely on the fact that the team simply isn't as good as they've performed thus far. They've had some good luck. I'm not rooting against them, but they probably aren't this good.

I've got to say, I love Erick Aybar's 144 at bats of .557 OPS. Holy crap, I'm honestly shocked you guys have as good a record as you do with that many at bats from him. Thats amazing, actually.

I'm a huge Howie Kendrick fan, and he's going to win multiple batting titles before he's done. Kid's gonna be great. Chone Figgins is very much a "meh" player, I have nothing to say about him other than he's having close to a career year and he's still very much a league average or below player. Juan Rivera is not going to be a savior, and I can definitely see this team going on a long slide soon (mostly because they remind me alot of the Red Sox through April and May; Overperforming their expected win/loss with career best numbers from key contributors), but they'll probably still be there in the end, but not because of their hitting. If they are there, it'll be because they have great pitching depth, and hopefully for them they'll have guys remain hot. Frankly, I don't see any way in hell Willits and Cabrera out OPS their career numbers by more than 50 a piece, or that Kotchman continues swinging a crazy bat. Cotchman's a fine hitter, and he'll put up probably average numbers for a first baseman, but not too much more, probably.

Rivera had a career year in 2007 after finally receiving much deserved playing time. He was tearing it up in winter ball when he broke his leg. It is tough to expect him to return quickly to form but it's worth the gamble rather than trading away hot, young prospects for a rental. As for Willits, Cabrera and Kotchman, once again it is important to watch these guys play and not keep pulling up career stats. All three of these guys are taking the same patient approach at the plate. If you look at their strikeouts/walk ratio, all three are walking as much - if not more - than they are striking out. Cabrera has shortened up his swing and he's seeing a lot of fastballs with Vlad sitting on deck. Willits is so fun to watch, working the counts and waiting for his pitch and then smacking the ball for solid hits. Kotchman, like Willits, is a contact hitter who works counts, fights off crappy pitches, and has the ability to drive the ball in the gaps and in the seats.

Also, the Angels have been rumored to be interested in, among others, Miguel Cabrera, Mark Teixeira, Miguel Tejada, Adam Dunn, Jason Giambi, Todd Helton, Carl Crawford, Garret Atkins, Brad Hawpe, Hank Blalock, Mike Lowell, A-Rod, and Shawn Green at various points in the season. Sounds to me like they have at least some interest in acquiring a bat of some sort. But what do I know?

Like I said before, Stoneman doesn't make trades. They have been rumored to be interested in many of these guys since 2005. Frankly, unless a team is willing to part with one of these guys for cash to cut payroll, I don't see any of them happening. I have learned not to listen to anything the "experts" have to say about what ot what might not happen with this team. Especially ESPN.

I mean, hey it's ok to think that like 6 of your starters will have career years at the same time that 4 of 5 starting pitchers have career years. It's possible that Orlando Cabrera will continue being a far above league average offensive producer when for a decade he showed that couldn't even come close to being league average for the most part. Yes, it's possible that the entire team will have an OPS+ of 108 and an ERA+ of 110 by season's end. But it's also entirely improbably based purely on the fact that the team simply isn't as good as they've performed thus far. They've had some good luck. I'm not rooting against them, but they probably aren't this good.

Actually, only 2 of the starters are having career years, John Lackey and Kelvim Escobar. But it's really no surprise. Lackey has always had good stuff and was expected to have a breakout year. Escobar has had health issues in the past but as long as he can stay off the DL he'll be dominant. I believe that it is possible for these guys to be play better than the "facts" say they're supposed to for an entire season. It's team chemistry, adjustments at the plate, and speed on the bases (71 stolen bases - leads the AL) that have helped these guys become better hitters. If they can stay healthy and keep applying the pressure they have, these guys will continue to play like they have and win ballgames.

I've got to say, I love Erick Aybar's 144 at bats of .557 OPS. Holy crap, I'm honestly shocked you guys have as good a record as you do with that many at bats from him. Thats amazing, actually.

Aybar filled in at 2B while Kendrick was on the DL and did a fine job, batting over .300 and providing some speed. He'll never be a starter on this team but provides Scoscia with some speed off the bench and a late inning infield replacement at 3 infield positions. His #s aren't that impressive and he'll probably be seeing some action at AAA when Rivera returns, but he's been a good guy to have in the clubhouse and in the field. I'm shocked that a stat guy like you is measuring the OPS of a utility guy against wins.