yeah...the "Yankee Mystique" if that was true why didn't security toss her. I understand they are pretty tough about stuff like that, banning "Yankees Suck" t-shirts and all. Even the NY Post was questioning that.

The Mariners banned them too (made people wearing them during a NYY series to turn them inside out). I believe they are banned at Fenway now, too.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mariners banned them too (made people wearing them during a NYY series to turn them inside out). I believe they are banned at Fenway now, too.

That's fucking Blasphemy! Jesus I remember the good old days in the 70's going to Fenway...you could pretty much do whatever you wanted to back then. People used to smoke doobies in the bleachers and whatnot. Now...... God knows I love the Sox and was (am) ecstatic about 2004 but it just seems so crazy lately (disclaimer: have not actually attended a game since 2004) gazillion dollar beers and food, parking, etc,etc I know they have to wring every $ outta that park but damn.

If your interested, on Boston.com this guy Eric Wilbur has a blog and he was ranting about the "New Breed" of Sox fan nowadays. He calls them the "Pink Hat Red Sox Nation". It is a fun read. He goes on to complain about all the band wagon fans the Sox have these days, they haven't had to suffer all the trial and tribulations. It's pretty funny.

I met a guy last week that had a Sox hat on so I kind of nodded to him and started talking baseball and the Sox. We got around to talking about their history and I mentioned something about Bucky "Fucking" Dent and he said "Who?" I just had to laugh at that one.

The Marlins have one all star. One. Amazing.

You're lucky they beat Atlanta last night. I had a big post all warmed up.

Buehrle hasn't signed nothin' last I heard. Still a hangup over a No Trade Clause. If he's giving a hometown discount (years and salary) he should get one, as far as I can tell. The White Sox are worried about setting precedent. As Steve Stone said, they can establish a precedent where any other 28 year-old southpaw who has 6 straight seasons of going over 200 innings and is 32 games over .500 can get a NTC.

That's fucking Blasphemy! Jesus I remember the good old days in the 70's going to Fenway...you could pretty much do whatever you wanted to back then. People used to smoke doobies in the bleachers and whatnot. Now...... God knows I love the Sox and was (am) ecstatic about 2004 but it just seems so crazy lately (disclaimer: have not actually attended a game since 2004) gazillion dollar beers and food, parking, etc,etc I know they have to wring every $ outta that park but damn.

I too remember going to games at Fenway (as well as The Toilet in the Bronx and Shea Stadium) in the 70s and early 80s and have to say I prefer the way things are now.

My dad would take myself and 4 brothers to the games and it was all he could do sometimes not to swing at guys. The "anything goes" days made for some unpleasant situations, IMO. Fights were an accepted part of the ballpark "experience" back then and the drunks spilling beer and screaming profanities was pretty out of hand most of the time. Security was pretty much non-existent. I remember seeing guys blowin' lines on the railing in corridor at Shea Stadium once, blatantly and out in the open. It was bizarre.

I'm give Commissioner Peter Ueberroth a lot of the credit for cleaning up the parks and making them more fan friendly (where you can actually watch the game and not have to contend with assholes fighting and screaming shit the whole game).

I too remember going to games at Fenway (as well as The Toilet in the Bronx and Shea Stadium) in the 70s and early 80s and have to say I prefer the way things are now.

My dad would take myself and 4 brothers to the games and it was all he could do sometimes not to swing at guys. The "anything goes" days made for some unpleasant situations, IMO. Fights were an accepted part of the ballpark "experience" back then and the drunks spilling beer and screaming profanities was pretty out of hand most of the time. Security was pretty much non-existent. I remember seeing guys blowin' lines on the railing in corridor at Shea Stadium once, blatantly and out in the open. It was bizarre.

I'm give Commissioner Peter Ueberroth a lot of the credit for cleaning up the parks and making them more fan friendly (where you can actually watch the game and not have to contend with assholes fighting and screaming shit the whole game).

Oh sure, I'm not advocating mayhem. People don't need to be exposed to boorish behavior and all, it just seems so, I don't know what the word is. Vanilla. Know what I mean? Ah anyways.......Sox won last night so all is good.

Where does Adrian Beltre's 2004 rank on the list of "Flukiest seasons ever"?

Probably below Darin Erstad's 2000, but it's gotta be pretty far up there...

Definitely a fluke. The thing with Beltre is that he typically doesn't start hitting well (better?) until the second half of the season, at which point it's impossible to match his numbers from 2004. From a Fantasy perspective he's frustrating to have for any extended amount of time on the roster because he's hot/cold/hot/cold so much.

Dont forget Brady Anderson.

That's got to be the big winner, except that the flukiness is mitigated a bit by the fact that there is pretty much zero chance that Anderson wasn't 'roided up that year. Beltre and Erstad may have been in their big years too, but it's nowhere near as obvious as Brady Anderson. Aside from the fact that his numbers that year were incredibly out of whack with the rest of his career, he also looked like this:

brady_poster_2.jpg

I just read that Rod Beck was buried in his Cubs uniform. I guess the details of his death were never released, but the police dont suspect foul play. So says Wikipedia, at least.

Guest Jules

That's got to be the big winner, except that the flukiness is mitigated a bit by the fact that there is pretty much zero chance that Anderson wasn't 'roided up that year. Beltre and Erstad may have been in their big years too, but it's nowhere near as obvious as Brady Anderson.

They rank together with all the other single year (often contract-year) explosions most likely fueled by roids or human growth hormone. It's hard to believe Erstad was on anything, but 25 home runs and 100 RBI? Please.

I swear he said something like that--and joking that maybe he could get a bacon endorsement deal.

Yeah, I seem to remember something like that, too.

Yeah, I seem to remember something like that, too.

I have nothing much to say here other than I am just gonna follow Beltmann around the board. Hello Beltmann! :hug

Given Reyes' age, I'd say it's close to a fair deal, but for the next 5 years or so, it would be a stupid trade for the Yankees. Not that it'll ever happen, but I'd still rather have A-rod than Reyes.

I still can't believe the Rangers traded him for Soriano... What an awful trade.

Sad thing is, it's probably not even the worst trade in the history of the Ranger's franchise.

A-Rod produced a lot of empty numbers when he was with the Rangers...disappeared in the months of April and May and then produce when the Rangers were out of it.

However, he has been a stand up guy for the Yankees. One of the best shortstops to ever play the position moved to third to keep Derek Jeter happy.

It was indeed crazy. Ended with a bases loaded strikeout.

White Sox have Gavin Floyd fresh up from Triple A in the second game. He's been absolutely shelled in the major leagues up to this point. Might have position players doing relief work if we're lucky. He's done very well this year in AAA so hopefully he has figured something out.