Jack White yells at Q101 DJ!!

But the paradigm has shifted! Don't you know? Jack White only wants people to be exposed to his music through Coke ads.

I remember that commercial. When he put every single song of his into a commercial and then stopped selling cd's or doing shows. What a prick.

I think that Jack White has just been subjected to an old fashioned - "see if your songs can stand up to shitty sound quality test" - which all his old blues heroes unwittingly took and came through with flying colours. If he feels that his songs can't stand up to the test, then maybe he needs to have a think about where he is going wrong. If that's not the case, then I don't see what he's getting so hot under the collar about. I thought Jack White was a gentleman-dandy, anyway. Do gentlemen shout down the phone at women?

I wonder what Meg thinks about the leak?

I think that Jack White has just been subjected to an old fashioned - "see if your songs can stand up to shitty sound quality test" - which all his old blues heroes unwittingly took and came through with flying colours. If he feels that his songs can't stand up to the test, then maybe he needs to have a think about where he is going wrong. If that's not the case, then I don't see what he's getting so hot under the collar about. I thought Jack White was a gentleman-dandy, anyway. Do gentlemen shout down the phone at women?

I wonder what Meg thinks about the leak?

I cannot believe all the people against White on this. They streamed his entire new CD without pernmission on a MAJOR market commercial radio station. They aren't some small college station or something. A massive screw up by Q101. How can you guys not see his issue there??

I think that Jack White has just been subjected to an old fashioned - "see if your songs can stand up to shitty sound quality test" - which all his old blues heroes unwittingly took and came through with flying colours. If he feels that his songs can't stand up to the test, then maybe he needs to have a think about where he is going wrong.

Um, maybe he's mad because a moron DJ played a leaked copy of the album weeks before its release date, and now it's all over the internet in crappy quality for everyone to download instead of buying it.

Yes, it's cool that Wilco streamed SBS before it came out, but we can't act like that didn't affect album sales. There are loads of people who downloaded the album off Bit Torrent that will never buy the album. You have to respect White's wishes if he wants people to actually 1) buy the album and 2) listen to it in its intended form. Plus the DJ's "I didn't know it was a big deal" excuse makes her seem either very naive or disingenuous.

Yes, it's cool that Wilco streamed SBS before it came out, but we can't act like that didn't affect album sales. There are loads of people who downloaded the album off Bit Torrent that will never buy the album.

If you wish to take the case that streaming the album did effect sales, then you can only conclude that it was in a positive way (seeing as how it went into the charts at no. 4 or something in the USA - I think, I am sure someone posted that fact in another thread once). If 10,000 people hear a leaked album and 8,000 people don't buy it, that is still better than if only 1,000 people buy the album because they are loyal fans. Obviously, the first case means you've got 8,000 criminals - but, anyone just interested in the best way to make money shouldn't go worrying about the rights and wrongs of the whole thing.

As for the whole Jack White shouting thing, I just can't take it too seriously. Who really gives a fuck, apart from him and a few people on his record label? Acting like a cock isn't going to change what happened. I'd have loved to have seen him shouting down the phone in his zorro outfit, though; that would have been a sight to see.

As for that guy getting stabbed thing, I just can't take it too seriously. Who really gives a fuck, apart from him and a few people in his family? Acting like a cock isn't going to change what happened.

That's pretty specious logic.

If you wish to take the case that streaming the album did effect sales, then you can only conclude that it was in a positive way (seeing as how it went into the charts at no. 4 or something in the USA - I think, I am sure someone posted that fact in another thread once).

But who's to say it wouldn't have premiered at no. 3 if it wouldn't have been leaked? I'll never buy the argument that an album showing up on Bit Torrent leads to more album sales. Surely there are many more people who download it for free and say "this sucks" or say "I like this, but now I've got it and don't need to buy it" than people who say "I really like this album, I think I'll pay $13 for the packaging." I know lots of people who downloaded SBS and haven't bought it, despite my efforts to get them to support the band. They'd rather spend their money on something they don't already have.

As for the whole Jack White shouting thing, I just can't take it too seriously. Who really gives a fuck, apart from him and a few people on his record label? Acting like a cock isn't going to change what happened.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean he didn't have the right to act like a cock. Right now thousands of people are downloading (for free) a 40 megabyte file that contains a super-compressed version of his entire new album. I'd be pissed too.

That's pretty specious logic.

I heard that most of his family weren't as upset about the stabbing as they were about the piracy issue - nobody likes a pirate. Oh, unless of course it was the pirate that did the stabbing. But, then I'm not privy to all the in's and out's of the White Household.

But who's to say it wouldn't have premiered at no. 3 if it wouldn't have been leaked? I'll never buy the argument that an album showing up on Bit Torrent leads to more album sales. Surely there are many more people who download it for free and say "this sucks" or say "I like this, but now I've got it and don't need to buy it" than people who say "I really like this album, I think I'll pay $13 for the packaging." I know lots of people who downloaded SBS and haven't bought it, despite my efforts to get them to support the band. They'd rather spend their money on something they don't already have.

Why do your friends buy albums at all then? They're all available for free online. Or are we talking about them putting down deposits on music as yet unrecorded?

Right now thousands of people are downloading (for free) a 40 megabyte file that contains a super-compressed version of his entire new album.

That sounds like the opening line to a Frank Capra movie. I'd go see that at the cinema!

I got to thinking about this the last night, and I wondered if this whole thing is a hoax by the Radio Station. The reason that I think this way is Five-fold: 1) The leaked copy made it the radio station somehow (ok not that odd, but still makes me question things); 2) They played it knowing full well that it wasn't exactly kosher to do so. I mean, hey they are major market station not some college station that wouldn't know any better. I highly doubt DJ's can play whatever they want too. This had to been cleared by station management.; 3) Jack White called from Spain? WTF? From all accounts this phone call was not played over the air (please correct meif I am wrong). 4) There has been no mention of this by The White Stripes, or the management of the band. 6) The publicity the station is getting is huge. (as well as the White stripes, may I mention a joint effort here?)

The only thing we have in the way of knoweldge that this happened is from the DJ and station managment themselves. It smells fishy to me. Until the phone call is proven to me as real, from a statement by the band, managment, or a recording of the event I will put this down as false, and a hoax.

That is all

And remember taping the album and listening to that one copy with your friend - maybe make a copy for him? Yeah, me too. Have things changed since then? Yes.

Doesn't sound like Jack White wants to get used to that.

Hey, remember when FM rock radio outlets in major markets used to play albums all the time in advance of their release?

I do!

I imagine radio stations got permission in advance from the artists/record labels when they did such things.

Things Jack White needs to stop doing:

Whining about shit like this.

Punching people.

claiming the Stripes is an art project (I'm sorry...no one should go around calling their band an art project.)

Things Jack needs to do:

Come to my house with a 12 pack of beer and jam with me.

I don't really care about the White Stripes, so I don't want to read back through the posts here, but can someone tell me if Hitler has been mentioned yet, and if so, how many posts it took to get around to that? Thanks.

I don't really care about the White Stripes, so I don't want to read back through the posts here, but can someone tell me if Hitler has been mentioned yet, and if so, how many posts it took to get around to that? Thanks.

Hitler.

Things Jack White needs to stop doing:

Punching people.

Pretty sure he stopped doing that after that one incident.

claiming the Stripes is an art project (I'm sorry...no one should go around calling their band an art project.)

Link?

Things Jack needs to do:

Come to my house with a 12 pack of beer and jam with me.

Pretty sure he hates you.

I got to thinking about this the last night, and I wondered if this whole thing is a hoax by the Radio Station. The reason that I think this way is Five-fold: 1) The leaked copy made it the radio station somehow (ok not that odd, but still makes me question things); 2) They played it knowing full well that it wasn't exactly kosher to do so. I mean, hey they are major market station not some college station that wouldn't know any better. I highly doubt DJ's can play whatever they want too. This had to been cleared by station management.; 3) Jack White called from Spain? WTF? From all accounts this phone call was not played over the air (please correct meif I am wrong). 4) There has been no mention of this by The White Stripes, or the management of the band. 6) The publicity the station is getting is huge. (as well as the White stripes, may I mention a joint effort here?)

The only thing we have in the way of knoweldge that this happened is from the DJ and station managment themselves. It smells fishy to me. Until the phone call is proven to me as real, from a statement by the band, managment, or a recording of the event I will put this down as false, and a hoax.

That is all

conspiracy a go go and i like it. i agree this may be the most likely explanation and good guerilla marketing.

np: alejandro "i wanna be your dog" come on