Open Letter to Mr. Tweedy

Dear Mr. Tweedy,

can you please lay to rest the rehab thing? I applaud your sobriety but that is done and over with, and it appears to have been put behind you. Your too good of a person to be reduced somewhat to that musician cliche.

Much love,

:cheekkiss

There is so ignorance and insensitivity in these statements - it not only demeans Jeff, his family and his personal demons, but it also demeans anyone and everyone who has struggled or known someone who has struggled with an addiction. Addiction is not a musician cliche. It is something that has destroyed and ruined lives, families, relationships and careers. I am quite certain this was not your intent, but your choice of words, your phrases, and the post itself was an embarrassment to you. I normally don't get on a soapbox when reading this website, but Floyd, do you see how poorly you chose your words in this instance?

For someone to so write off recovering addicts like it is something they do for attention as this original poster did...............is completely uncalled for.............an addict will always be an addict...........and maybe through talking and their music it allows them to continually fight off temptation and other demons..........it is a lifelong process.............one in which the fellow man should always show compassion!

Your a tool

and I'm usually pretty nice 'round here

Recovery is not only a lifetime process, it is also very personal. As a lot of people on this board know.

As much as I love VC this recent trend that the band and it's members(or former member) are some how supposed to live up to some jackasses pre-conceived perceptions/expectations/opinions/etc. is ludicrous. To me the most attractive thing about wilco has always been they live there lives make great music and answer to no one but themselves.(and they have a lot of great gear!) Maybe Jeff could go back to talking about "What happened with Jay Bennett" / Is Ut going to play again/ hitting on JF wife/ or any other of the myriad of things that have been beaten to death, both on this board and in interviews

Enjoy the MUSIC/ that

There is so ignorance and insensitivity in these statements - it not only demeans Jeff, his family and his personal demons, but it also demeans anyone and everyone who has struggled or known someone who has struggled with an addiction. Addiction is not a musician cliche. It is something that has destroyed and ruined lives, families, relationships and careers. I am quite certain this was not your intent, but your choice of words, your phrases, and the post itself was an embarrassment to you. I normally don't get on a soapbox when reading this website, but Floyd, do you see how poorly you chose your words in this instance?

thanks for saying it better than i could have :cheers

i am not sympathetic to anyone who dwells on negative events from their past. learn your lesson and move on. it is something he should speak to family and close friends about not the world. he himself has made fun of how ludicrous the attention he rec'd from going to rehab (listen to his solo shows & the dvd), he uses it as part of his show. it is fair game to criticize.

Congratulations to all of you on this board who are in the process of recovery, have recovered, or are thinking about needing to seek help for your addictions. Treat the problem and MOVE ON to a healthier lifestyle. Exercise, eat organic, read the bible, spend time with caring friends and family, listen to Wilco. Remove all the toxins in your life. To be healthy in mind, body and spirit will lead to positive choices in your life, and ultimately lead to happiness. If you don't believe me, ask Tweedy. He has chosen a more spiritual and healthier lifestyle, surrounded himself with amazing, caring, like-minded people, and married a woman he truly adores. He is happy! Look at him, listen to him. He is a walking testament to this philosophy. Actions speak louder than words, and the "new" Tweedy speaks volumes by absolutely saying nothing. The man exudes happiness. I hope he is still running! Endorphins are good

So you started a thread in order to tell Tweedy to move on, and also - you feel Tweedy is a walking testament to the philosophy of moving on. I'm confused. (And you're still judgmental and ignorant)

Hey if you like his records, fuck yeah!

But don't try to tell someone you don't know how to live. That's absurd, do you think that guy needs your advice Floyd Walpole misunderstodd with 127 posts, member no. 14685. If you wanna talk songs, records, riffs, hell, even if you have something to argue about some VW commercial post it, but no one here is looking for a lifestyle sermon.

This is embarrassing, but I can't start new threads when posting from home (my browser locks up and gives me an error message). This is a huge weakness in my game, and I probably shouldn't even be mentioning it...

all of you naysayers would feel so much better if you went for a long run. just because you are unhappy with yourselves... This is so much fun! No wonder you people spend so much time on this board. Ya'll need a life.

#1. Because we don't agree with your holier than thou attitude we are unhappy?

#2. We need a life for discussing our favorite rock band on the internet, yet you do not for posting simple minded and pretentious attacks on strangers?

I am sure it is quite fun to irritate people, congratulations.

i am not sympathetic to anyone who dwells on negative events from their past. learn your lesson and move on. it is something he should speak to family and close friends about not the world.

wow. that's just ignorance right there. i don't think tweedy is dwelling on anything, he is learning from his life and presenting that learning to an audience that chooses to listen to him. if you don't like it don't listen. if you don't like people who learn from their lives, then i just pity you. also, does this go for people who choose to address political issues using their celebrity to do so? where does it end? why shouldn't they use their time to talk about important things. chances are there are other people who want to hear it and those who don't aren't forced to. i've made a lot of mistakes in life, and have learned from 90% of them, i talk to my people about them, i write about them, and whoever chooses to care can. but because some people don't want to hear it doesn't mean i shouldn't have the freedom to be open about the process. i doubt you've made it through life without slipping up, and i'm guessing whether you realize it or not you've talked to people about it beyond your close family and friends. people in glass houses and whatnot. this has gotten ridiculous.

> This is embarrassing, but I can't start new threads when posting from home (my browser locks up and gives me an error message).

i thought i was the only one!. also hitting the "add reply" button also does it

oh sorry, back to the topic :lol

> This is embarrassing, but I can't start new threads when posting from home (my browser locks up and gives me an error message).

Knowing there is someone else out there going through the same thing makes me feel a little less alone.

P.S. We should never talk about this again.

You guys should start a thread in Speakers Speaking in Code about this.

Oh. Never mind.

Guest Speed Racer
Exercise, eat organic, read the bible, spend time with caring friends and family, listen to Wilco.

The whole reason why addiction is completely crippling, you [insert name-calling here], is that you can do all of the above to the best of your abilities and still be overpowered, and eventually conquered, because you cannot still...

Remove all the toxins in your life.

Let that be a lesson to you, and for the love of god,

MOVE ON

Thanks! :wave

i am not sympathetic to anyone who dwells on negative events from their past. learn your lesson and move on. it is something he should speak to family and close friends about not the world. he himself has made fun of how ludicrous the attention he rec'd from going to rehab (listen to his solo shows & the dvd), he uses it as part of his show. it is fair game to criticize.

Congratulations to all of you on this board who are in the process of recovery, have recovered, or are thinking about needing to seek help for your addictions. Treat the problem and MOVE ON to a healthier lifestyle. Exercise, eat organic, read the bible, spend time with caring friends and family, listen to Wilco. Remove all the toxins in your life. To be healthy in mind, body and spirit will lead to positive choices in your life, and ultimately lead to happiness. If you don't believe me, ask Tweedy. He has chosen a more spiritual and healthier lifestyle, surrounded himself with amazing, caring, like-minded people, and married a woman he truly adores. He is happy! Look at him, listen to him. He is a walking testament to this philosophy. Actions speak louder than words, and the "new" Tweedy speaks volumes by absolutely saying nothing. The man exudes happiness. I hope he is still running! Endorphins are good

I am not sympathetic to anyone who judges others in how they process and deal with negative events from their past. I tried to respond to your initial post with the benefit of the doubt to your poor choice of words, but I cannot any longer give you such courtesies.

I am curious to know what your educational and professional credentials are to give such simplistic and na

I was hoping someone else would chime in about addiction and recovery- and many of you did. Thank you. As an addict I would like to state that it is not something you can "get over." Yes, you can move on, but every single day of my life (and our collective lives as addicts) I have to make the choice about whether to use or not use. Some days I feel like I could handle it- if I really wanted to (sound familiar?), and other days I know for sure that one false step will lead me back to day one. So if Jeff wants to talk about it you can shut the hell up and let him talk about it. It is his addiction and his recovery and every single day that goes past one is a good day for him. Maybe talking about it is what keeps his hands off from the bottle. Maybe the music he's created during this time is what keeps him from stepping backwards. You don't know. So once again, shut up. And move on...

Yes- this is the first topic that has compelled me to post. Sellout that I am...