Open Letter to Mr. Tweedy

Dear Mr. Tweedy,

I love that you have rebounded quite nicely from the YHF - AGIB years, with all that you dealth with in your personal life. Wilco has done an amazing job at collectively working together to record a beautiful album. I have been reading some of the recent press and well, can you please lay to rest the rehab thing? I applaud your sobriety but that is done and over with, and it appears to have been put behind you. You truly look very happy. There is no reason to rehash that period of your life over and over in the press. At first, I thought it was the journalists who were keeping that milli-second of your life alive, but in a few interviews it reads like you are the one mentioning the "drug thing." I would rather hear about the positive contributions you make in terms of your music and the various charities you support. Your too good of a person to be reduced somewhat to that musician cliche.

Much love,

:cheekkiss

Dear Mr. Tweedy,

I love that you have rebounded quite nicely from the YHF - AGIB years, with all that you dealth with in your personal life. Wilco has done an amazing job at collectively working together to record a beautiful album. I have been reading some of the recent press and well, can you please lay to rest the rehab thing? I applaud your sobriety but that is done and over with, and it appears to have been put behind you. You truly look very happy. There is no reason to rehash that period of your life over and over in the press. At first, I thought it was the journalists who were keeping that milli-second of your life alive, but in a few interviews it reads like you are the one mentioning the "drug thing." I would rather hear about the positive contributions you make in terms of your music and the various charities you support. Your too good of a person to be reduced somewhat to that musician cliche.

Much love,

Ummm...Floyd? You might want to like, invest in a flack helmet and jacket - you've got incoming.

Ummm...Floyd? You might want to like, invest in a flack helmet and jacket - you've got incoming.

I would listen to him, he's a seasoned veteran. I think this actually annoys me more than the sellout post.

Dear Mr. Tweedy,

Much love,

...or we can let Jeff deal with his recovery in his own way.

seriously. the e-douchebaggery is reaching epidemic proportions.

From the title I knew I shouldn't have opened this post. but seriously, Open letter to Jeff Tweedy: "This is a longshot, but you should bring back "Wherever" and have Nels do a "MoB"-ish freakout on the instrumental section. Oh,and whatever the first guy said :lol "

Ummm...Jeff Tweedy? You might want to like, invest in a flack helmet and jacket - you've got incoming.

Your fans are falling like bombs.

As being someone who is still in recovery over a heroin addiction I can say that talking about your past is not a bad thing. Its kinda like therapy. A recovery addict no matter how long they have been off their drug of choice will always be a recovering addict and talking about it helps.

As being someone who is still in recovery over a heroin addiction I can say that talking about your past is not a bad thing. Its kinda like therapy. A recovery addict no matter how long they have been off their drug of choice will always be a recovering addict and talking about it helps.

Yah. If it was me, I wouldn't talk about so much, but if Jeff wants to talk about it and it helps him, then who are we to say nay?

In the scheme of things, it seems like writing an 'open' letter to Jeff is not a bad idea necessarily. We're all aware that he's aware of the existence of this board, and has even commented on it numerous times. But somehow it still seems like a cheap shot. Jeff's personal life is, like it or not, still his business. He's been talking about the rehab thing quite a bit, I agree. But I fail to see how that should cheapen the experience of the music. Clearly, in the roiling undertow of AGIB I can hear the unease of his interior life - to a DEGREE. However, the songwriter is always guarded about these things, because once you put your personal life into a song, whether it be word for word or detailing some experience that has affected you, with a degree of caution - you are thus open to the most personal criticisms; that of putting your feelings out there only to have them deconstructed and reverse-engineered by people who would like to think that they're the best person to critique it. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but even though this 'open letter' was quite genuine in intent it goes too far. Jeff has the right to discuss the effect that rehab has had on him. I don't know if you've ever been through rehabilitation. I have, and it is a painful, nerve-exposing experience that changes your life, completely. It may not effect permanent change (some people who go through rehab may either revert to previous addictions or take up new ones) but it does substantially alter how you see yourself and you become painfully aware of how your actions and interactions with others can have a profound impact, particularly when you are trying to control aspects of your personality with drugs or alcohol or pot or whatever. I was an amphetamine abuser for years and I thought I had it under control and well-hidden from the view of friends and family. However, I did not. I remember watching IATTBYH and thinking, "Jeff is a troubled guy". Not because I'm some hack who thinks he's an expert on ANYTHING (I am definitely not) but I could see that he was a sensitive fellow who thinks and feels deeply. This clearly informs the music - to a DEGREE. We shouldn't read too much into his rehab experience and we shouldn't consider that it has had a negative impact on the music, because - at least for me - SBS still has an air of real discomfort to it that belies the beauty of the songs. I see it as a very ambivalent album, and while the surface tension doesn't suddenly boil over, these songs run much deeper. Jeff is a hell of a songwriter and I wish him well, and if talking about his experiences to journalists helps (not that I imagine it would), then more power to him.

Your a tool

and I'm usually pretty nice 'round here

Recovery is not only a lifetime process, it is also very personal. As a lot of people on this board know.

As much as I love VC this recent trend that the band and it's members(or former member) are some how supposed to live up to some jackasses pre-conceived perceptions/expectations/opinions/etc. is ludicrous. To me the most attractive thing about wilco has always been they live there lives make great music and answer to no one but themselves.(and they have a lot of great gear!) Maybe Jeff could go back to talking about "What happened with Jay Bennett" / Is Ut going to play again/ hitting on JF wife/ or any other of the myriad of things that have been beaten to death, both on this board and in interviews

Enjoy the MUSIC/ that

Dear Mr. Tweedy,

I love that you have rebounded quite nicely from the YHF - AGIB years, with all that you dealth with in your personal life. Wilco has done an amazing job at collectively working together to record a beautiful album. I have been reading some of the recent press and well, can you please lay to rest the rehab thing? I applaud your sobriety but that is done and over with, and it appears to have been put behind you. You truly look very happy. There is no reason to rehash that period of your life over and over in the press.

the problem with this letter is that it is completly ill informed about sobriety. sobriety is an ongoing process, not a moment in time. if one is truley sober, then it is that person's number one priority before anything else. because if it isn't, as in tweedy's case, then you risk, or will, lose a whole lotta stuff as happened in the past. so...it's perfectly legit for tweedy to talk about rehab and sobriety. it is his life. if you don't like it, don't read it. not to mention the fact that all these interviews are exactly the same, nothing new under the sun-the YHF debacle, rehab, jay bennett. just enjoy the music.

IMO