Immigration Reform Bill? Do you like it?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the general direction the Immigration Reform Bill is taking?

• Yes. I would sign it as is today.
    • No. The bill is largely unacceptable.
    • What bill?

Ok. Since there has been no discussion about this bill, I will start it with a poll. I do recognize that the current bill is a moving target with all of the amendments being tacked on, but it's probably safe to say that you can either dig the general direction, or you can't.

Also, another reason I'm asking here is because I greatly respect the liberal community here and also to some degree credit VC to making me more liberal over the last few years.

Does it provide that grass clippings must be collected in garbage bags rather than blowing them into the street and/or onto the neighbor's property?

j/k, I am baffled by this issue. I've had knee-jerk reactions to many sides of same, and in the end sympathize to some extent with all parties involved. I wish that our government for once could treat this as a practical problem in need of a solution, rather than a pure campaigning issue.

It boggles my mind that the hard-core Right seems to believe anything outside of deportation of 12 million people qualifies as amnesty. :realmad

I don't know what the answer is, but the buiding of a wall saddens me....I always think of our old pal Ray-Gun saying "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall". :ohwell

I wish that our government for once could treat this as a practical problem in need of a solution, rather than a pure campaigning issue.

Solving problems is antithetical to the modern political philosophy that parties by and large define themselves by their stances on intractable issues that will likely never be "solved". Really, it is in the best interest of their political careers not to solve problems. Having issues to point to and blame on somebody else provides a reliable and predictable rate of support from certain constituencies, which is what it is really all about, isn't it?

We should just ask Mexico if they want to be a part of the U.S. Then, we can secure the much smaller border to the south.

And then we should send the goddam Statue of Liberty back to France and seal our freakin' borders.

I'm not even kidding.

Best solution: stop raping the economies of other countries. If other countries weren't so desperately poor by comparison, then people wouldn't be so eager to come here by any means necessary to get here.

This reminds me of the south park where the future humans come and take all the jobs because the future sucks and the solution to that problem is to make sure that the doesn't suck so the people won't have to come back through time to take all the jobs.

This reminds me of the south park where the future humans come and take all the jobs because the future sucks and the solution to that problem is to make sure that the doesn't suck so the people won't have to come back through time to take all the jobs.

They took our jawwwwbs! That was on last night. Hilarious!

Actually, they decided that solution was too gay and instead opted to have a big gay orgy to prevent the future generations from ever being born.

I gotta tell you...anything that liberal democrats AND conservative republicans universally despise is probably a GOOD solution.

Basically there is no political center anymore.

Best solution: stop raping the economies of other countries. If other countries weren't so desperately poor by comparison, then people wouldn't be so eager to come here by any means necessary to get here.

you don't think that an inept government in the country they are trying to flee might bear some of the blame? yes, they are being taken advantage of economically, but THEY are also letting it happen. It's all about who's paying off who (drug cartels, other governments). i don't subscribe to the idea that everything we do as a country is evil...well...until the current administration took office maybe with all their corporate ass-kissing and willfull disregard of the middle class...but...ok...2008 needs to be a clean slate. it's all gonna be better starting in '08. i want to be able to look in the mirror again and say i'm proud to be an american...right now...not so much. if we can't have hope, we are all screwed.

2008 needs to be a clean slate. it's all gonna be better starting in '08.

I'd like to believe this, I really would. I worry, however, that a precedent has been set in terms of administrative conduct regarding the extension of executive power and re-writing the rulebook to accommodate it and remove oversight. Voters (on both sides, now) are rightly pissed about it and it will undoubtedly be a major theme in the next presidential election. But I really wonder, regardless of which party finds itself in power, how easy it is going to be to put that particular genie back in the bottle.

I'd like to believe this, I really would. I worry, however, that a precedent has been set in terms of administrative conduct regarding the extension of executive power and re-writing the rulebook to accommodate it and remove oversight. Voters (on both sides, now) are rightly pissed about it and it will undoubtedly be a major theme in the next presidential election. But I really wonder, regardless of which party finds itself in power, how easy it is going to be to put that particular genie back in the bottle.

quit reminding me of reality.

i mean come on...it's friday!!!

:stunned

12 million people are NOT going to be deported. Anyone who thinks they are is living in "teh fantsay world."

you don't think that an inept government in the country they are trying to flee might bear some of the blame? yes, they are being taken advantage of economically, but THEY are also letting it happen. It's all about who's paying off who (drug cartels, other governments). i don't subscribe to the idea that everything we do as a country is evil...well...until the current administration took office maybe with all their corporate ass-kissing and willfull disregard of the middle class...but...ok...2008 needs to be a clean slate. it's all gonna be better starting in '08. i want to be able to look in the mirror again and say i'm proud to be an american...right now...not so much. if we can't have hope, we are all screwed.

Oh, it's certainly true that a great many problems in many struggling nations are due to their own government's corruption, incompetence, etc.. But from the perspective of what our country can do, well, we have more control over our own actions than we do over the actions of other nations, especially now that our standing in the world has been diminished to such a great extent. From a practical standpoint, we simply can do more by changing our own actions than by trying to force changes in others.

From a practical standpoint, we simply can do more by changing our own actions than by trying to force changes in others.

well..i'd start with securing our border.

then i'd pour myself a drink and figure the rest of the shit out on monday. of course, i'd be open to suggestions.

The crops are all in and the peaches are rotting

The oranges are piled in their creosote dumps

Flying us back to the Mexican border

Spend all our money to wade back again

Father

Guest Speed Racer

The adjustments so far are nearly gibberish. It's next to impossible to get someone in from Canada forr a business trip (I wish I were exaggerating).

I hope that whatever they decide, they decide right quick. I've already got to learn the paperworks for my new job, and I would just as soon learn everything now and not have to relearn it in four months. Then again, at least everyone in the office would have to relearn it at the same time that I was.

The USCIS has already doubled its processing fees as of July 2007, and I sure hope immigrants get more bang for their bucks as a result, though I doubt they will. Making legal immigration more difficult does absolutely nothing to alleviate our illegal immigration problem, but our government seems to think it does.