Vancouver date

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's kind of disappointing, I was happy that Wilco's western Canada gigs seemed to be at reasonable venues. I wasn't crazy about the Orpheum, but being able to stay on Granville and walk 2 blocks to the gig is preferable to...well, whatever lies ahead. It's bad enough that the "Seattle" show is in a huge field outta town, same w/ Portland...looks like I'll do Calgary/Edmonton/Vancouver and not bother w/ the US gigs at all.

But on the plus side...yay Wilco!

That's kind of disappointing, I was happy that Wilco's western Canada gigs seemed to be at reasonable venues. I wasn't crazy about the Orpheum, but being able to stay on Granville and walk 2 blocks to the gig is preferable to...well, whatever lies ahead. It's bad enough that the "Seattle" show is in a huge field outta town, same w/ Portland...looks like I'll do Calgary/Edmonton/Vancouver and not bother w/ the US gigs at all.

I'm thrilled with the venue change! The Orpheum is for the VSO, not a rock band. What I remember most about the 2004 show was being forced to sit down all night.

Malkin Bowl should be a pleasant walk from almost any downtown hotel on a summer evening, especially if you stay in the west end or coal harbour. If you really don't want to walk more than a couple of blocks, public transit is another option. Check out the Translink website to find bus schedules, etc.

(And Halcyon, you can catch the #19 from Metrotown if you're taking the Skytrain.)

DRIVING DIRECTIONS

Downtown Vancouver: Drive on Georgia Street northbound, towards Stanley Park in the right hand lane. As you enter Stanley Park, you will come up to a round-about. Come through the round-about directly opposite to the Pipeline Drive exit. Drive approximately 100 meters and take your first right. This will take you the drop off point for Malkin Bowl.

From the drop off point you can carry on to the Children

Oh sweet, thanks Dreamin'.

So does the Malkin Bowl have seats or is it kind of a free for all??

When I saw Lucinda Williams there the front section was seated and there was GA "lawn seating" behind it. But when I saw Bright Eyes there it was a GA standing/sit on the grass set up. No one should be disappointed about it moving from the Orpheum, it's about half the capacity, and it's one of the nicest places to see a show in Vancouver. The Orpheum is nice, but like Judy said, it was a bit weird last time around. I think Jeff even mentioned "you know you can stand"... except, actually, we were told not to.

I think Jeff even mentioned "you know you can stand"... except, actually, we were told not to.

We're so obedient. :lol I'm sure the band wondered why we were such a lame audience... until the encore, when a critical mass overpowered the ushers and just stormed down front anyway. I remember the surprised look on Jeff's face when they came back out and he saw people standing right in front of the stage, like, "Wow, what took you guys so long?"

(And Halcyon' date=' you can catch the #19 from Metrotown if you're taking the Skytrain.)[/quote']

Oops, my bad. It's probably better to take the Skytrain to Burrard Stn and catch the #19 from downtown.

Yes, I guess that makes more sense! Haha, thanks Judy.

Yarr, I'm excited. I think I'll head out first thing after class that afternoon. Can I expect to see any of you guys out there?? :D

Wilco will be my first concert as a new resident of the city of Vancouver. I've lived in Victoria and always shuttled over for shows. This will be nice to actually live in a city with good venues and shows.

Are you going all the way from Lethbridge to Vancouver for Wilco?

Well...partly. The end of August is my summer-fun-vacation-extravaganza!!! I'm done work and my final exam for summer class in on August 17th. That night i'll go see them in Calgary, fly to Vancouver the next day, hang out with my brother and relax in Vancouver, catch some Wilco, go explore Seattle and see more Wilco, back to Vancouver for a couple of days of who knows what! I can't wait!!!!!

So do we know if it's seated, or is it GA? The pre-sale is Wednesday morning, but it shouldn't matter too much if it's GA.

And if it is the latter, is there any general advice regarding Malkin Bowl? (ie. how early to arrive, necessity of blankets, warm clothes, etc.)

Nice detective work.

I haven't been to a Wilco show in Vancouver that was GA since they played two nights at the Commodore Ballroom in 2002. I remember that I showed up about an hour before the show and was able to stand front row, center. That would probably be pushing your luck this time, but I find that people in Vancouver rarely show up super early (especially on a weekday) ... On the other hand, Wilco fans traveling from places like Seattle to see the show may not be as laid back as we are.

Awesome news.

Oh! but wait -- I have more questions for you hardened Vancouver concert-goers:

I've only been to the Orpheum once, which was to see Wilco in 2004, but now I've ended up with two pairs of tickets for Ryan Adams' show there in July and I need to choose between the two. The first ones are 14th-row floor, right-centre; the others are 1st-row dress circle, left-centre. When I saw Wilco, we were 4th-row dress circle, and it looked great, sounded great -- but I hope someone has the scoop on what the floor is like.

Thanks!

Checked the Ticketmaster site today out of curiousity and it looks like there are plenty of tix left.

Most people here probably know that I'm a frustrated would-be tour guide since my American friends rarely venture this far north, so if you're traveling here for the show, don't hesitate to send me a PM if you want restaurant recommendations, etc. Vancouver is a great city for food lovers - we have Iron Chef winners (Rob Feenie), the guy who invented the inside out roll (Hidekazu Tojo), my all time fave, Vij's, and La Casa Gelato, which is not to be missed.

Be sure to spend some time exploring Stanley Park before the show. There are lots of trails to hike/run and the seawall, of course, which has some spectacular scenery. Unfortunately, we had a big wind storm this winter which knocked down thousands of trees, so parts of the seawall are closed indefinitely. The Granville Island Public Market is a great place to put together a picnic lunch before you set out.

If you have time, go for a hike in the North Shore Mountains, or at least take the gondola to the top of Grouse Mountain (taller than the Empire State Building and the Sears Tower put together) for an unforgettable view of the city. If you're lucky, you might spot some eagles.