Neil Peart (drummer for Rush) books

He's written Ghost Rider, Masked Rider, Traveling Music, and Roadshow. Have any of you read any of them? I've read all but Masked Rider, and Ghost Rider is one of my all time favorite books. I highly recommend it for anyone. It's incredible how Neil tells his story of traveling on motorcycle as a way to get away and clear his head from the tragedies that had occurred to him in the months before the book (only kid, his teenage daughter dies in an accident, his wife dies of cancer a few months later, his best friend goes to jail). It's just overall an awesome book. Neil still manages to inject humor into the book as well.

I think one would view him as somewhat of a not very nice person after reading these books.

Probably true...but so what?

GR is high on my list of must read books, I just read slow and don't get through many books these days.

Btw (somewhat On Topic): Ramblin' Man, the biography of Woody Guthrie was a fantastic read...highly recommend it.

Probably true...but so what?

GR is high on my list of must read books, I just read slow and don't get through many books these days.

Btw (somewhat On Topic): Ramblin' Man, the biography of Woody Guthrie was a fantastic read...highly recommend it.

Well, sometimes I wish I did not know certain things about rock dudes. After reading those books - I sort of view him as a elitist prick.

Well, sometimes I wish I did not know certain things about rock dudes. After reading those books - I sort of view him as a elitist prick.

That often seems to be the case. But I can't help but read 'em anyway, ya know?

Spoiler alert!!!!

I've read Ghost Rider and Travelling Music. GR was fantastic, if a little slow in the travelogue sections. During the book he seems to be distraught about his daughter, but sort of 'gee, that kinda sucks' about his wife. It made sense when I realized he'd gotten remarried and was probably just trying not to go on too much about her and make the new wife feel bad/weird.

When I found he'd moved to LA I decided to send him a copy of a 4 cd mix of songs about LA I'd made as a sort of welcome to the (very large) neighborhood present. I contacted his management about it and got a very terse/nasty reply saying basically why would he want a CD full of songs you've illegally downloaded you little pirate scumbag. I think of that everytime I listen to What Light when they get to the part about 'it's not wrong or right... you'll only get uptight.'

Travelling Music by the way - sucked. He's obsessed with Frank Sinatra and Linkin Park. There. I saved you a few bucks. He also retells damn near the entire first book, so now I don't need to bother, even though I had been interested. Hmmm... seems as though he's pirating his own work and costing himself money. I guess we're even now.

What's the deal where he knocked down some dude who tried to get him to sign some albums? Or sped away and the dude fell down or some such thing.

Hmm, didn't hear about that but, unfortunately, doesn't seem at all out of character for him. The guy who wrote "I can't pretend the stranger is my long lost friend" isn't really the guy to go ask for an autograph.

I'm surprised at the flavor of this thread. Most rock stars are pricks, doesn't everyone know that??

Whether it be Dylan, Neil Young ("eggshells"..), or whomever. The more creative the force the more "difficult" (selfish?) they are. By many accounts Jeff Tweedy is a very difficult person to work with.

Maybe it's one thing to act human and another thing to read about your heroes acting human. I mean - I could do without the videos of Dylan preaching about how homosexuals are going to hell - but they are out there. The dude just comes off as better than everyone else most of the time - or at least that is the way I read it - and I don't much care for that.

Man, I'm definitely not reading these books now. Sorry, thread-starter.

Not that I ever held Neil Peart in that high of a regard, but I did love Rush growing up, I thought his lyrics were pretty effing great most of the time, and you know, his drumming and all of that.

Beyond horrific what he went through, and I'm sure he's a master word-smith, but I'm just not in the mood for a downer road novel right now.

Maybe you were thinking about this guy.

sq_alex_lifeson_mugshot_nfp.jpg

If you heard anything, you'd know that nothing was Alex's fault. His son got up onstage, the police went at him, and Alex tried to defend his song and got beat. The police handled it horribly.

If you heard anything, you'd know that nothing was Alex's fault. His son got up onstage, the police went at him, and Alex tried to defend his song and got beat. The police handled it horribly.

Yeah, I guess I lumped him in there in the "prickish" rock star behavior section, which I really wasn't trying to do. Just a Rush-related altercation.

elitist prick.

You didn't get that vibe by listening to Rush? :shifty

As a member of a band that has had close to 20 drummers over the last 5 years (the same one for the last 2 1/2) I have sworn to NEVER even audition a drummer who lists Peart as an influence.

Maybe it's one thing to act human and another thing to read about your heroes acting human. I mean - I could do without the videos of Dylan preaching about how homosexuals are going to hell - but they are out there. The dude just comes off as better than everyone else most of the time - or at least that is the way I read it - and I don't much care for that.

Well put. Townshend has put me off more than once by his interviews (esp. the Cincinnati fiasco), just for one example.

• 4 weeks later...