Anyone seen or looking forward to the new Pixar movie?

I have not seen the sneak previews yet, but will be in line opening weekend (June 29).

I'm hearing really great things about this Brad Bird-directed movie. And, as a bonus, we'll get to see a teaser trailer for Wall*e (Pixar's 2009 feature) and a supposedly hilarious animated short called The Lifted.

I predict Ratatouille will be one of, if not, THE best summer film.

Anyone seen or looking forward to the new Pixar movie?

I have not seen the sneak previews yet, but will be in line opening weekend (June 29).

I'm hearing really great things about this Brad Bird-directed movie. And, as a bonus, we'll get to see a teaser trailer for Wall*e (Pixar's 2009 feature) and a supposedly hilarious animated short called The Lifted.

I predict Ratatouille will be one of, if not, THE best summer film.

I am. That's only because I have 3 kids under the age of 4. But it looks good though. One thing that I have learned from having kids and going to these summertime releases is that only 1 out of 4 are good.

I look forward to these, especially in the summer. It's a nice opportunity to get out of the heat with the kids and these types of flicks are usually well done. It's gotten good reviews, so I'll probably end up seeing it.

One thing, though. Doesn't it seem like there is a limited stock of actors to provide voices for these animated movies? Is it mandated that Norm from Cheers must have a part in every one of them? I don't know if he's in this new one, but smart money would say yes.

You were damned close, Lammy:

Cast (in credits order)

Patton Oswalt ... Remy (voice)

Ian Holm ... Skinner (voice)

Lou Romano ... Linguini (voice)

Brian Dennehy ... Django (voice)

Peter Sohn ... Emile (voice)

Peter O'Toole ... Anton Ego (voice)

Brad Garrett ... Gusteau (voice)

Janeane Garofalo ... Colette (voice)

Will Arnett ... Horst (voice)

Julius Callahan ... Lalo/Francois (voice)

James Remar ... Larousse (voice)

John Ratzenberger ... Mustafa (voice)

Teddy Newton ... Lawyer (Talon Labarthe) (voice)

Tony Fucile ... Pompidou/Health Inspector (voice)

Jake Steinfeld ... Git (Lab Rat) (voice)

Brad Bird ... Ambrister Minion (voice)

You were damned close, Lammy:

I don't know why they spend all of their money on paying these high paid actors. Honestly I don't go because somebody special is playing the part of a mouse. If I were producing one of these films I would spend about 1/10th of the money on the voices and bet that I would be better off.

One other thing, why do these cartoon makers insist on perpetuating ethic stereotypes in their movies? It's perverse.

I prefer these movies when it isn't painfully obvious who the "voice talent" is. I liked Madagascar pretty well, but I hated David Schwimmer's character because I couldn't forget that it was him. Same deal with the King of Queens guy in Barnyard. At least people like Steve Carrell (Over the hedge) and Andy Richter (Madagascar) made up voices different than what they're known for on their tv shows.

My three year-old and I are psyching ourselves up for this. We watched the sneak peek videos on the Pixar website and now we reenact the whole, "Oh my, I'm talking to a mouse...are you nodding your head? You understand me!? I can't cook! You can cook! Will you help me make the soup!?!" scene regularly.

I don't know why they spend all of their money on paying these high paid actors. Honestly I don't go because somebody special is playing the part of a mouse. If I were producing one of these films I would spend about 1/10th of the money on the voices and bet that I would be better off.

When I saw the preview for the Underdog movie recently, I said "What!? An Underdog movie! Is nothing sacred!? How dare they try to make a new buck off of our beloved Underdog!" and then the dog spoke and Jason Lee's voice came out and I was okay with the whole thing. The same thing happened when the first Garfield movie came out...I was intrigued from the get-go but the Bill Murray credit is what really sold me on the whole thing.

Wow. I guess it is mandated.
All of Pixar Animation's feature films include Ratzenberger, who has become something of a "good luck charm" to the studio (and, according to Andrew Stanton, Pixar actually has a rule stating that Ratzenberger must be in all Pixar films).

I'm looking forward to Ratatouille.

I've already seen Lifted, the included short, when it screened as part of a collection of Oscar-nominated shorts. It was great Pixar... but it also felt like typical Pixar.

And then you saw it?

My partner runs a movie theater so I used to (before my daughter was born) watch tons of movies while just hanging around there. I considered watching Garfield (because I loved the Garfield and Friends cartoon when I was a wee lass) but I never got around to it. More recently, I have seen both Garfield live action movies with my daughter. For several months, she insisted that she was Garfield...any time a stranger would ask her name, she would tell them it was Garfield. Now she is a Ninja.

Yesterday was Garfield's 29th birthday.

Why I know this, I couldn't say. I haven't read the damn strip in a couple of decades, but for some reason I still remember 6/19/78 as being the stupid cat's birthday. :stunned

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the film Friday.

My initial reaction was it wasn't extremely funny, which was a tad disappointing.....but I only thought that because I'd read from a few critics how hilarious it was.

Nonetheless, it's a very good movie that had many charming and funny-ish moments....good characters, unexpected twists and turns, unbelievable animation. It had a simplicity in scope that makes it unique to other Pixar movies....most of it takes place in a kitchen. But this allowed for the movie to offer up great subtle moments throughout and Bird clearly doesn't mind letting scenes unravel at a normal pace. And it's refreshing to see an animated movie with no fart jokes, no song and dance routines, and no interruption of scenes with loud top-40 pop songs to tell the audience how hip and cool it is.

I'm not sure where I'd rank it in the magnificent Pixar canon of films.

Toy Story, Monster's Inc, The Incredibles and Finding Nemo are probably my faves. Ratatouille easily holds it own with the remaining films. I don't know, maybe I'd rank it higher after seeing it a few more times over the years.

And the short called "The Lifted" is pretty hysterical as well.

i'm not crazy about pixar stuff (or really any kid movies), but it's great that lassiter is in charge of disney animation now. he's vowed to end the tacky direct to video sequels and concentrate on stuff with shelf life. if this hits the drive-in with an excellent B feature, i'll see it.