Cleaning Your Guitar

I have a love/hate relationship with keeping my guitars clean. I don't want to screw up the finish by leaving a big arm mark on them, but at the same time I kinda don't like a super clean guitar cause then I don't want to touch it.

Case in point: I had a birthday recently and I got a guitar care kit. After at least an hour of haze removing, cleaning and polishing, my J-45 looks like glass. But I don't wanna even touch it.

Gave up worrying about scratches, dings and stuff years ago.

*CHARACTER!!!

About once a year I go mad with a can of pledge...or endust (something??) and get all the nasty stuff off and shine them up pretty.

Usually with an orphaned sock or a hand towel.

I just wipe it with a towel whenever I picke it up, keeps it nice but not shiny. I have been wondering, What do you polish up the frets with? they get dull after a while. Also I'll give the neck a bit of lemon oil when i change the strings.

I have been wondering, What do you polish up the frets with? they get dull after a while.
I got a cool book a couple years back, called (something like) Guitar Player's Guide to Maintenance and it suggested using very, very fine steel wool. I did this and I was amazed at how much brighter my guitar played. Just use a little bitty piece so you don't scratch your fretboard.

How well does lemon oil on the neck work? I always use fretboard conditioner cause the wood grain "pores" are exposed, but it doesn't seem to help that much.

I got a cool book a couple years back, called (something like) Guitar Player's Guide to Maintenance and it suggested using very, very fine steel wool. I did this and I was amazed at how much brighter my guitar played. Just use a little bitty piece so you don't scratch your fretboard.

How well does lemon oil on the neck work? I always use fretboard conditioner cause the wood grain "pores" are exposed, but it doesn't seem to help that much.

I would guess fretboard conditioner is the same substance. you just use a tiny bit on the wood and rub it in good.

I got a cool book a couple years back, called (something like) Guitar Player's Guide to Maintenance ...

I have that book, too. It's come in handy on several occaisions. For electric guitar parts it recommends Naptha lighter fluid as an all-purpose cleaner. I don't know what they recommend for cleaning or polishing acoustics, but I'll see what it says over the weekend.

I cover the fretboard area with masking tape first - then I can really go at it with the steel wool without worry.

I just give it a quick rub down with a damp cloth and then I use masking tape on every fret and it sucks all the dirt off of the frest that gets in there. That's essentially it, doesn't need much more than that.

I cover the fretboard area with masking tape first - then I can really go at it with the steel wool without worry.

Make sure you mask your pickups if you are doing that to an electric guitar, pickups are magnetic and those little steel fibers will be drawn into the pickup windings.

Rosewood boards really don't need to be taped if you are only applying pressure to the fret, maple boards will be scratched if they aren't masked.

As far as guitar care goes I use Meguiar's Mist and Wipe after each use. Both of my new Fender's are 2007 Thin Skin models, if you even look at the nitrocellulose lacquer the wrong way it's a ding or cloudy spot. I don't mind normal wear and tear from playing but I will try and prevent oxidation while it sits. On rosewood boards I use Dr. Duck's Ax Wax, which is really a nonacidic oil, it's good stuff. My Gibson's get the Meguiar's too.