The Verve re-uniting...

The Verve reunite for tour

Richard Ashcroft and co write new songs

The Verve are set to reunite for a winter tour.

The original band of Richard Ashcroft, Nick McCabe,Simon Jones and Pete Sailsbury have got together for the first time in almost a decade.

In a statement, the band have announced they were: "Getting back together for the joy of the music."

It is believed they will take a summer break and then return to the studio to complete their next album.

The band broke up in 1999, with the tumultuous relationship between Ashcroft and McCabe being well documented with the two exiting the band repeatedly since they began in 1993.

The band are set to play:

Glasgow Academy (November 2,3)

Blackpool Empress Ballroom (5,6)

London Roundhouse (8,9)

Tickets are set to go on sale on July 6.

"Urban Hymns" was an awesome album.

Ashcroft's solo stuff is not up to par with The Verve, except for maybe a few songs here and there. the first album was decent. the last one sucked.

i agree that Urban Hymns is great though.

this could be interesting.

Most overrated band ever.

You have got to be kidding? Have you ever listened to 'A Storm In Heaven', 'Northern Soul', 'No Come Down' (the b-sides album)? Anything other than 'Urban Hymns'? I can understand you not liking them but to say they are the most overrated band of all time is pure ignorance! Nick McCabe is hands down one of the most underrated guitar players of the past 15 years. He creates sonic landscapes not unlike those of Nels Cline. Honestly give the early albums a shot or track down a live show before making a statement like that. Not trying to sound defensive but I hope your comment wasn't made after just hearing a few of the more popular hits. Either way, this is excellent news and I hope a US tour is to follow.

You have got to be kidding? Have you ever listened to 'A Storm In Heaven', 'Northern Soul', 'No Come Down' (the b-sides album)? Anything other than 'Urban Hymns'? I can understand you not liking them but to say they are the most overrated band of all time is pure ignorance! Nick McCabe is hands down one of the most underrated guitar players of the past 15 years. He creates sonic landscapes not unlike those of Nels Cline. Honestly give the early albums a shot or track down a live show before making a statement like that. Not trying to sound defensive but I hope your comment wasn't made after just hearing a few of the more popular hits. Either way, this is excellent news and I hope a US tour is to follow.

nice first post

a northern soul is one of my favorite albums of all time.

so snagging a rolling stones riff without permission...

Which is too bad, because I thought it made for a pretty damn good song, cool video and part of a great album. Too bad the Stones raped them on the legal settlement -- I think it was all the money the album generated after recording costs.

Ironically enough, the only song anyone would know off the Urban Hymns album, Bittersweet Symphony, is the song I like the least on that album. Thats such a great chill album, in-fact it has inspired me to put it on right now :)

Ironically enough, the only song anyone would know off the Urban Hymns album, Bittersweet Symphony, is the song I like the least on that album. Thats such a great chill album, in-fact it has inspired me to put it on right now :)

'Lucky Man' was just as epic, IMO. That said, Bittersweet Symphony is one of those singles, no matter how many times I hear it, I never change the channel on or fast forward.

They were lucky Allen Klein didn't kill and eat them personally. They fucked with the wrong dude.

'Lucky Man' was just as epic, IMO. That said, Bittersweet Symphony is one of those singles, no matter how many times I hear it, I never change the channel on or fast forward.

The best song on that album hands down is The Drugs Don't Work.

i never got into them, what are they like?

The easiest way to sum them up would be to say they are heavily pyschedlic, with spacy atmospehric guitar combined with heavy droning rythms. Their early stuff had a healthy dose of shoegaze mixed in as well.

Also, I think ashcroft has an zmaaazing voice and excellent lyrics.

They did not really rip off the stones(to the other post that refand erenced this) they used a sample of a a symphonic version of the last time. and while i like the song a great deal, it does not even begin to hint at the majesty found on the rest of the album.

i think velevet morning is the best song on the album, and one of the best i've heard.

and yes, mccabe does add texture and atmosphere much like Nels(though i would say nels is technically more gifetd, easily).

what great fn news....please come to the states!