In Praise of Selling out...in the Chicago Reader

I know it sounded pretty ridiculous when I said Tweedy was responsible for all the evil in the world, but I'm very comfortable with the statement that "marketers" are very much responsible for the War in Iraq. You can blame it all on Bush if you want, but he needed someone to manipulate the message, to market his position. They didn't use dumb commercials to market their product, but that doesn't mean they didn't market it. When the Nazis and Soviets did it, they called it propaganda, but I guess we like to call it staying on message. As far as whether the marketing thing is a "war" or not, I worked in the field, (telemarketing,) and at that level, it is pretty much sell at all costs. But I'm sure the companies that make millions doing it have only the best intentions for us. It's gotta be, at least that's what the commercials say? It's actually amazing to me that there are people who will defend the marketing industry.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just do not see how the key commercial is humorous. Unless it's a sort of joke saying people who drive volkswagens are so stupid they will attack the parking valet. Or they are such low-life trash they don't understand the concept. I'm not sure that's what VWs getting at.

And the most tragic thing on a personal level, is that up until this January I had a t-shirt that said FUKINGRUVEN instead of FARFIGNUGEN on it with something that looked like the VW emblem. That would be cool shit to wear to a Wilco concert now.

I just do not see how the key commercial is humorous. Unless it's a sort of joke saying people who drive volkswagens are so stupid they will attack the parking valet. Or they are such low-life trash they don't understand the concept. I'm not sure that's what VWs getting at.

he didn't attack a parking valet, he extended his arm as if to say "hey, look how nifty this key is".

Dammit, my connection went out for awhile . . . On CBS, John Mellencamp just did a stirring 4th of July rendition of "This is our County." I wanted to give a heads up. Talk about a 4 star sell-out.

Sorry about not mentioning the Axe thing guy. I know that I'm going to make an ass out of myself saying this, but the only time I ever use it is when I think there's a reasonable chance I might meet a woman. Not to say I believe it will work, but for $3 a can it's worth a shot . .

Sorry about not mentioning the Axe thing guy. I know that I'm going to make an ass out of myself saying this, but the only time I ever use it is when I think there's a reasonable chance I might meet a woman. Not to say I believe it will work, but for $3 a can it's worth a shot . .

Ummm, and AGAIN...I'm NOT a guy (been through this in previous threads)...lol And the olfactory sense is an A-MA-ZING thing!!! Trust ME!!! ;)

he didn't attack a parking valet, he extended his arm as if to say "hey, look how nifty this key is".
When I saw the towing guy commercial, I was sort of like, well I guess Wilco's gotta do what they gotta do. When I saw the the Sun will shine on my shiny new convertible I was too outraged to pay attention. And when I saw the Sky Blue Sky commercial, it was if somebody tore my heart out and a black haze descended upon me . . . The Key was the only one I could pay attention to and I find it just weirdly disquieting and awkard. You know I seriously believe the commercial's creators had some sort directive that said something like "our target audience responds well to simulated violence and need to feel validated as a man in front of their woman. Make a commercial like that, and make it funny." Just try watching it on YOUTUBE with that in mind and see what happens. . . I can't do it, I'm too subjective about it.
When I saw the towing guy commercial, I was sort of like, well I guess Wilco's gotta do what they gotta do. When I saw the the Sun will shine on my shiny new convertible I was too outraged to pay attention. And when I saw the Sky Blue Sky commercial, it was if somebody tore my heart out and a black haze descended upon me . . . The Key was the only one I could pay attention to and I find it just weirdly disquieting and awkard. You know I seriously believe the commercial's creators had some sort directive that said something like "our target audience responds well to simulated violence and need to feel validated as a man in front of their woman. Make a commercial like that, and make it funny." Just try watching it on YOUTUBE with that in mind and see what happens. . . I can't do it, I'm too subjective about it.
Ummm, and AGAIN...I'm NOT a guy (been through this in previous threads)...lol And the olfactory sense is an A-MA-ZING thing!!! Trust ME!!! ;)
Sorry, you totally look a guy in that picture with your screen on it.
Ummm, are you SURE you're a Wilco fan?!? That's clearly Jeff...not me :lol

I'm sorry, I was trying to be funny. That's usually a mistake on my part.

If I remember right, you started the original sell-out thread didn't you? How has your thoughts on the subject evolved? I'm starting to sort of understand where he was coming from. Everything was going good, the music was working, the fans are all saying how much they love you on Facebook. Then the VW guys come around with a slick presentation about synergy and merging market and what-not, and you know VW can afford way better marketing guys than Wilco can. Tweedy starts thinking, we're geniuses, we're cutting edge, let's get our music out there in a hip new way, (he's obviously got a vendetta against radio,) let's give it a shot, nobody really thinks it all the way through, meanwhile someone's gotta pay for health insurance. Next thing they know, they've just massively sold out and made themselves look like stooges. And you know, VW never had half as much to lose as Wilco. It seems like one of those things that happen when try to get too cute. I know all the huge mistakes in my life were made when I was trying to be too smart.

I'm sorry, I was trying to be funny. That's usually a mistake on my part.

If I remember right, you started the original sell-out thread didn't you?

k, thought it MIGHT have been sarcasm, but as I know you only though this thread, I wasn't sure.

And, HECK NO, I did NOT start the original sell-out thread!!! I started a thread that just SIMPLY STATED...hey I just saw the 2nd & 3rd commercials of the set. It went on from there, way beyond my control...

And IF you REALLY want to know, I do NOT think it was a sell-out move. And I do NOT want to argue about it, I CLEARLY know how YOU feel. I do agree that Jeff is not so fond of the radio, as he said just that to me last Thursday (see Soundcheck in Boston thread). As long as I can listen to and see Wilco, I'm good :D

I just realized, that where is says out of tune, that is not your screen name. I've never done chats before, and probably won't after this. The commercial thing hit me in an emotional way. This is probably not all that interesting, but I bought YHF the day our carrier left for deployment, sort of listened to it, but didn't really get into it until I was driving away from the Navy. It captured that feeling of freedom and lostness, and since then I've been through some seriously rocky shit and almost ended up homeless or dead a couple of times and Wilco was the background music for that period. Ever since I left that carrier I've been trying my best to get as far away from this rotten, I don't want to say country, but mindset, that both reduces everything it touches to stupidity and puffs itself up with a empty rhetoric and . . . I'm ranting again. You guys (and women,) gotta feel that something's going seriously wrong and it's not just politics. But, I'm starting to look at the sell-out as something like, when a long-time good friend does something stupid and hurtful, you got to give them another chance. Although, if you see Jeff again, tell him he's standing right on the edge of wuss cliff.

Although, if you see Jeff again, tell him he's standing right on the edge of wuss cliff.

Not to quote a Republican, but..."Not gonna do it!"