Is there a doctor in the house?

I know there are some on this board who can give a little legal advice and other such professional opinions so I thought I'd give this a shot...

I slipped on some cement steps in the rain yesterday and landed on my arm just below my elbow. My arm is mobile and everything but there is swelling in the little hollow line that runs down the bottom of my arm. It's not showing any bruising but it's tender to the touch. Should I put ice on it or something? I'm uninsured and would rather not go to the doc if it's not necessary. I have no idea what my arm is made up of underneath the skin...I'm sure there are a couple of bones and some muscle and stuff in there...so I don't know what exactly it is that swells. Any nurses or doctors or regular people (who aren't as clueless as me) got any advice?

Any nurse or doctor is going to say "Go to the doctor".

Me, if there's no bones sticking out and you can move your fingers, I'd give it a week and see.

Sorry you have no insurance. Especially with that cute kid in your avatar pic. :ohwell

ps: we had a nurse for a little while but she left the board. (she was also conservative, and would probably advise that it's a little hard to diagnose a fracture over a message board.)

Good Luck! Hope your arm is ok.

Me, if there's no bones sticking out and you can move your fingers, I'd give it a week and see.

That's pretty much how I've been feeling about it.

Sorry you have no insurance. Especially with that cute kid in your avator pic. :ohwell

Good Luck! Hope your arm is ok.

The kid is covered and healthy as all get out.

Thanks for the response!

I am not a doctor, but I would take some vitamin I, put a cold pack on it and see what happens. How bad is it hurting?

this advice has absolutely no medical basis to it. i'm an artist. that's my disclaimer.

i'd try a regular regimen of ibuprofen for a few days. it usually helps with swelling of all sorts (and pain). if you don't do well with ibuprofen try aleeve.

limit the use of your arm.

ice could help, but full blown ice, no bag of peas ice pack or whatever other frozen veggie bags are in your freezer. directly on the area for at least a half an hour (if it is very swollen). or heat for 30 min, movement and stretching for 30 min, and then ice for 30 minutes (again if it is very swollen).

comfrey compound or arnica compound. both herbal, both miracle salves by these kind folks:

http://www.gretchengould.com/catalog.html

(listed under first aid kits in a jar) rub a dime size dollop onto the injured area for several minutes.

and then if it is still really bad after a few days, eh, go see a doctor. i think dr.s are over-rated.

hope this helps.

I am not a doctor, but I would take some vitamin I, put a cold pack on it and see what happens. How bad is it hurting?

It's not terribly painful. Mostly just inconvenient to have lumpiness on the part of my arm that usually rests on my desk or bed etc.

this advice has absolutely no medical basis to it. i'm an artist. that's my disclaimer.

i'd try a regular regimen of ibuprofen for a few days. it usually helps with swelling of all sorts (and pain). if you don't do well with ibuprofen try aleeve.

limit the use of your arm.

ice could help, but full blown ice, no bag of peas ice pack or whatever other frozen veggie bags are in your freezer. directly on the area for at least a half an hour (if it is very swollen). or heat for 30 min, movement and stretching for 30 min, and then ice for 30 minutes (again if it is very swollen).

comfrey compound or arnica compound. both herbal, both miracle salves by these kind folks:

http://www.gretchengould.com/catalog.html

(listed under first aid kits in a jar) rub a dime size dollop onto the injured area for several minutes.

and then if it is still really bad after a few days, eh, go see a doctor. i think dr.s are over-rated.

hope this helps.

That's a lot of good advice. I'll try some of this stuff out. I'm sure it'll be okay. I'll hang out with it for a few days and see what happens.

Thanks a bunch, oh wise ones of the VC! :worship

Is this post just a trick by Michael Moore to garner support for his hippie communist agenda?

Just kidding.

The thing about an injury like this is that waiting a week could be bad if something is broken. That could mean the difference between a cast and screws in your arm.

Yeah, but I would think that if it were broken, it would hurt a lot more, no?

Is this post just a trick by Michael Moore to garner support for his hippie communist agenda?

Just kidding.

The thing about an injury like this is that waiting a week could be bad if something is broken. That could mean the difference between a cast and screws in your arm.

I thought about the whole waiting could make it worse thing, but when I push around on the ouchie spots to see whats going on in there, all of the bone stuff seems to be in place and I feel like it would probably hurt more than it does if there were actually a break.

I've got a copy of Sicko at the house and have been meaning to watch it soon..maybe I'll pop it in tonight so I can really feel what's going on with the movie seeing as how I probably would have gone to the doc already if the $$$ wasn't an issue.

Yeah, but I would think that if it were broken, it would hurt a lot more, no?

When I was a kid I fell off my skateboard and broke my arm. My parents wouldn't believe me and it took 3 days for them to get me to a doctor, but I think that was cause they never really liked me and wanted to see me cry.

(i guess the moral is that sometimes, it doesn't hurt that much)

(But, on the other hand, I wouldn't scare her into going to the doctor by inferring that if she waits, she might need screws in her arm either.)

I would just put that ancient tourniquet on shown above and wait till it goes numb. Then cut it off with that Barlow knife.

I would just put that ancient tourniquet on shown above and wait till it goes numb. Then cut it off with that Barlow knife.

I'm going to wait 24 hrs. and if my condition is the same or only slightly improved, I'm going to try this technique.

Ice-pack schmice-pack...let's see some blood! (Or maybe I'll just lop it off today...it is Friday the 13th!)

I broke my leg when I was a wee lass and it hurt like a mofo so I've been assuming that since I'm not freaking out in pain my arm can't possibly be broken. Now I'll have to keep your tale of childhood woe in mind while monitoring my progress.

I'm going to wait 24 hrs. and if my condition is the same or only slightly improved, I'm going to try this technique.

Ice-pack schmice-pack...let's see some blood! (Or maybe I'll just lop it off today...it is Friday the 13th!)

I broke my leg when I was a wee lass and it hurt like a mofo so I've been assuming that since I'm not freaking out in pain my arm can't possibly be broken. Now I'll have to keep your tale of childhood woe in mind while monitoring my progress.

I'm no med student but there are a lot of nerve endings just under the elbow (you know when you whack your "funny bone") you may have hit some of that....... keep an eye on it

Guest Jules

My wife's a physical therapist. Anyway, she knows a lot about treating this kind of stuff, so I sent her your post. Her response seemed to mirror Isadorah's. Ice 20min on, 20min off. Ibuprofen. If the swelling doesn't improve, or if you have any numbness in your arm or fingers, or lose mobility, you should go to the doctor.

My wife's a physical therapist. Anyway, she knows a lot about treating this kind of stuff, so I sent her your post. Her response seemed to mirror Isadorah's. Ice 20min on, 20min off. Ibuprofen. If the swelling doesn't improve, or if you have any numbness in your arm or fingers, or lose mobility, you should go to the doctor.

I'm a nurse.

15 yrs as an assistant for orthopaedic surgeon.

As a male, I have no big cans - sorry.

I agree with above!!!

It sounds as if it is in the middle of the back of your forearm (ulna bone). if so, make a fist and turn your hand back and forth (as if turning a door knob). It might hurt a little due to the inflamation, but if it's a lot of pain, it could be fractured.

either way, the only way to really know if it's broken is to get an x-ray.

hope this helps.

you can certainly message me if you wish.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice! Applying the cold pack/heat sent the swelling away and now I'm just waiting around for a gnarly bruise to show up. Where's the fun in getting hurt if you can't have some cool battle scar to show off?

Exercise Physiologist here. ... perfect advice :) I love working with nurses.

Glad u r feeling better....

we used to have a nurse with big cans post on the board, and give advice, but they chased her off.

"they"