Hey,

I was just wondering if anybody knows the consequences...here is my story:

I was driving this kid who is a "Townie" around and he has a fake id...so we decided to get a 12 pack and 2 six packs, it was stupid of us but he did it in a store in town...

anyways we go to play basketball and we come out and there is a cop car behind my car, and he tells Townie to take out his fake id and give it to him, and then he asks us for our real ids, and makes me pop the trunk. Up to this point it has been like 2 hours since we went to the store. So he finds all the booze, says he COULD have arrested us, but he didn't. Now we have "summons?" to court. And he said it was for a minor driving with possesion of alcohol for me.

The cop claims to have seen Townie come out of the store with the booze (talk about bad luck)

I do not have a fake id, i was just merely driving the car.

I am just wondering what the WORST situation is, and what is most likely going to happen?

thanks

ps. I am 19 years old (probably does not matter either way)

From http://web.mit.edu/alcohol/www/laws.html

A. Transportation of Alcohol

It is unlawful for a person under 21 years of age knowingly to drive a car with alcohol in it unless accompanied by a parent. To do so may result in a fine of up to fifty dollars or suspension of the driver’s license for three months, or both. May be arrested immediately without a warrant. M.G.L.c.138,#34C

As a 19 year old who is quite frequently in possession of alcohol in the state (/commonwealth) of massachusetts, i can sympathize for you.

I don't think you are in too much trouble, but as the driver I believe you are implied. You may lose your drivers license for a few months, have to pay fine, go to AA, or do community service....but nothing beyond that. I think "summons" are generally only issued for infractions.

edit: i have no idea how valid any of that is but i would not take it as legal advice

I don't see why he'd be ordered to AA or alcohol classes. He wasn't caught imbibing or under the influence of drinking. It's a pretty minor thing. Minor enough that he was cited a ticket much like any other minor traffic violation.

assuming there should be legal ages for consumption, it would make more sense to legalize pretty much everything and put it on the schedule for consumption.

wine - 16

beer - 18

liquor - 21

marijuana - ?

etc, etc

heroin, crack, meth - 90

something like that, but no one should be drinking at bars until age 25. ;)

Happened to me in Massachusetts when I was 17. No really the exact same story. Weird.

Anyway, 6 months probation, and had to go to underage "offenders" classes at the local courthouse for 2 hours on Thursdays for 8 weeks.

And no it did not hurt my record. It's still there, but I was hired by Federal law enforcement agencies after college, so it's not that bad. Just be honest if anyone asks.

You'll be fine. Unless off course your in Suffolk County.

(Oh, and if this is past Atticus posting for current Atticus, watch out for 2004, it's gonna get rough)

Yea, I have no prior criminal records so I will be fine

This is beside the point, but I do find it interesting how I can be drafted to Iraq to shoot people..

yet I can't have a 12 pack in the trunk of my car...

Something is not right with that

yeah fair enough.

And I agree that the drinking age is probably worth lowering.

Having just completed college though, I can say without a doubt that there are some people who should never have access to alcohol.

This is beside the point, but I do find it interesting how I can be drafted to Iraq to shoot people..

yet I can't have a 12 pack in the trunk of my car...

Something is not right with that

mojo-returns.jpg

Now another thing is kinda gettin' on my nerves...

another thing that's kinda gettin' on my nerves is this

national 21 drinking age

Huh? what do ya think about that?

A bunch of malarky

whatever malarky is man

it's a whole bunch of it..

you know if Reagan finally gets the war he's lookin for

you think he's gonna be draftin' 21 year olds?

No man they're gonna be draftin' 18 and 19 year olds

but ya cant buy beer

you can get married and screw yourself up real good

but ya can't buy beer

ya can charge 8 million dollars on the mastercharge

but ya can't buy beer

you can vote for one fool or another

but ya can't buy beer

'cause this is America

----Mojo Nixon, Burn Down the Malls

I'm soooo not for lowering the drinking age. I do enjoy me some Mojo Nixon though.

The older I get, the older I think the drinking age should be.

What, 18-year-olds shouldn't be allowed to congregate at upstate N.Y. colleges and drink vodka from plastic bottles until they puke?

What, 18-year-olds shouldn't be allowed to congregate at upstate N.Y. colleges and drink vodka from plastic bottles until they puke?

Or on party boats and sandy beaches during spring break, where they can lose their virginity and become Girls Gone Wild superstars all at once with a little help from their friends Jack and Jager?