Can you spare a pair of jeans?

I am looking for fans jeans to use in a Wilco "thank you/tribute" project. If you have jeans to spare and would like to be part of a fan community effort, email me @ toujourstango@aol.com. All contributors are asked to include a signed message (there are infinite possibilities here, most immediate thoughts that come to mind include favorite song, lyric, musical sequence ...) on white paper. I will transfer your messages onto fabric. The text will be a streamed element (strips)incorporated into the quilt design. The quilt will be given to the band -- somehow! I plan to start work on/around August 1st ... and expect it will take me a couple of months to pull everything together.

Thanks everyone! Really, thanks for taking time to listen and hopefully join in.

Lisa

Okay, a pair of jeans seems to be too ambitious an "ask." Or is it the "message" that's off-putting? Or the shipping costs? I genuinely thought (as did a few others) it would be jumped on as a way to collectively express ourselves and our appreciation to the band. Okay, it's not a macrame owl ... please help me understand the lack of response. Maybe I can revise my request to encourage participation. I don't want this to be a gift from me ...

lisa

I think it's a neat idea. My question was: Does the band need a quilt? How would they share it? All together on the bus? Weekly custody tradeoffs? Then I thought, maybe you could make them matching vests, and we'd be one step closer to my dream of them working up some Temptations-style choreography. I'm not being a smart ass really, I'd love to see them do that. But that's just me. :ike

I am all for group art-projects, and I certainly have jeans to spare and no problem with the shipping costs. I guess I was just a little confused about who, specifically, the quilt would be going to and how it would be presented. If I knew more about the project, I think I would be more willing to participate.

I'm signing up for this. I imagine the quilt will be presented to the band as a whole and that it can gather dust in the loft or maybe not. Hey, my jeans are comfy and I'd use a blanket made of them (maybe tour buses are especially cold) or they could even give it to Tony as a Christmas gift...who knows what would become of it. Quilts are often meant as an art piece or thoughtful gift before they are actually meant to have any utility these days anyhow. I just think it's a nice idea and that it's the thought that counts and all of that. Quilting is an awesome craft. I'm in.

While I am in anyhow, I am curious to know what inspired Lisa to do this particular project. Where did you find the idea? Do you have any example photos of what the finished product might look like? I think if you can answer these question, you might more easily persuade others to get in on this. :thumbup

Aricandover, you should donate that plaid cap to the project. Weren't you wearing it when Jeff kissed you?

first of all, it's argyle, second, I've had that thing since I was 19, there's no way I'm ever getting rid of it. :monkey

EDIT: yes, I was wearing it when that man accosted me.

Edited by Aricandover
I think it's a neat idea. My question was: Does the band need a quilt? How would they share it? All together on the bus? Weekly custody tradeoffs? Then I thought, maybe you could make them matching vests, and we'd be one step closer to my dream of them working up some Temptations-style choreography. I'm not being a smart ass really, I'd love to see them do that. But that's just me. :ike

ike:

First off, love the vest idea, especially for Pat who is often resplendent in a vest! And, your Temptations vision is inspired, but my first reaction was they'd look like the Partridge family and Glenn Kotche/Danny Bonnaducci(?) and Mike J/Susan Dey keyboard/model/actress sent me reeling ....

Your "custody" Q is totally valid too, but I think they'll hang it at the loft or eat burritos under it on the bus or use as a tarp for equipment and it'll be fine. Originally I was going to make a quilt for Jeff, just a gift from me to him. And, while people pay me a lot of money for my quilts, and I'm sure he would have loved it, I know something from "us" would have more emotional value. I changed my plan to a tribute to the band because I wanted to make it appealing to as many vc-ers as possible. And, because after 6/26 Wilco@Warsaw "convergence" of band and audience voices and energy, it became more appropriate to me to recognize everyone possible in the piece. So, that's where I am with it now.

thanks for posting, ike.

I am all for group art-projects, and I certainly have jeans to spare and no problem with the shipping costs. I guess I was just a little confused about who, specifically, the quilt would be going to and how it would be presented. If I knew more about the project, I think I would be more willing to participate.

sharky,

some answers above ... getting the quilt to them will be either their publicist, road/tour manager, personal delivery depending on timing ... it'll get there. not being glib, but I know I can get it delivered. Hope you'll send me your piece.

lisa

first of all, it's argyle, second, I've had that thing since I was 19, there's no way I'm ever getting rid of it. :monkey

EDIT: yes, I was wearing it when that man accosted me.

C'mon, be a man send a 3" sq of the stinking cap! Which leads to my final comment on the subject for this am, jeans, corduroys, flannel shirts, so long as it's cotton and it's been part of your "life experience," it can be included. The only caveat is, it's gotta be clean, no sh-- !~ Guess you'll get to keep your hat afterall. :cheekkiss

• 1 month later...
I think you have hit the nail on the head.

P.S. I went to visit my parents this past weekend, and a lady was visiting from Harrison. I can't remember her name though. She works for a hospice there.

Very likely Hospice of the Hills.

P.S. Barney's shirt may not fit very well but that fella knows how to have a good time! :cheers