Tweedy reference at Cold War Kids Show Lolla

Fantastic weekend at Lollapalooza, and where I certainly missed the fellas being there this year, for the most part, the concerts were fantastic. Many of you probably know or heard the Blisters were playing Kidzapalooza again this year on Saturday, I didnt get a chance to go over there to check them out, but Cold War Kids made a pretty cool reference on how its so neat to go to a festival like this and meet so many artists and whathaveu, at what point they mentioned that they met Jeff earlier that day and couldnt be more thrilled about the introduction....."just incredible to meet him" Nathan Willet (lead singer) then mentioned on how he felt kinda bad for a guy like Jeff at a festival like this because og his height, or lack there of in Jeff's case. So he pleaded to the crowd in a good spirits that if we saw Jeff anywhere in the festival to lift him up above your shoulders and help the fella out.... actually pretty funny. Cold War Kids did not disappoint, can't wait to see them opne for the Stripes again in October.

I'd rank my top 5 of the fest somewhat like this:

1. Peal Jam (not a huge fan, but thats the way you close out a festival.... great high energy performance)

2. MMJ (with Chciago Young Symphony Orchestra) AMAZING.

3. Rodrigo Y Gabriela-quite possibly the best acoustic duo performance I've ever witnessed

4. Cold War Kids

5. tie Roots/Black Keys couldnt just pick 5, it would be tough to whittle down to 10

I'll agree with Watchtower completely about the fantasticness of the whole weekend:

Friday -

LCD was stellar and the "All My Friends" as the sun set behind skyline behind the myspace stage was one of the moments of the fest

Saturday -

Pete Yorn and the Roots exceeded expectations having seen both before

Regina and CWK underwhelmed frankly (Tweedy reference not withstanding).

First highlight was stumbling across a cleanshaven (almost) Jim James (my buddy thought it was the lead singer from Iron and Wine from a distance - funny) with a banjo playing the freaking Kermit song.

SPOON blew the place apart in the pouring rain - and then closed with the best song Britt has written yet, Black Like Me

Interpol was pleasantly unantiseptic

Sunday -

PJ was a nice trip down memory lane, but MMJ stole the show (although I heard insane things about !!! which I missed waiting for MMJ

MMJ was indeed great - I guess it was inevitable but unfortunately the orchestra was pretty buried in the mix and their contributions were overshadowed by the (awesome) noise of the band itself. After seeing and hearing some clips of the band with the Boston Pops I was interested to hear if they had worked up new arrangements or even to hear those same arrangements live and in person, but for the most part it was a moot point ... Gideon may have been the exception.

A trip down memory lane is a great way to describe Pearl Jam, but in this case it felt like memory lane was the street I am living on right now - a great mix of a band I've been waiting 15 years to see playing many of their hits and a band that can still kick some serious ass on stage.

The Rapture really impressed me - I hadn't heard a lot of their music much less seen them live and they were probably the most pleasant surprise of the whole weekend for me. Especially coming from the M.I.A. show, which was probably the worst show I've seen in the past three years of this version of Lollapalooza ... ugh.

The Black Keys absolutely killed it during their set. They were just awesome and had a perfect time slot as the sun set on that absolutely perfect Friday.

Daft Punk blew a hole right through the back of my head. Quite simply put, bouncing around with all of those 10s of thousands of people in the middle of Grant Park on a perfect evening to the robot rock is a memory that I really hope doesn't leave me soon. Highlight x 10.

Daft Punk blew a hole right through the back of my head. Quite simply put, bouncing around with all of those 10s of thousands of people in the middle of Grant Park on a perfect evening to the robot rock is a memory that I really hope doesn't leave me soon. Highlight x 10.

I was going to go after work just to catch them and LCD, but I wasnt about to pay $80 and unfortunately I couldnt find a cheap ticket. but yea, DP's stage show really is from another world. i did see the video on youtube of the finale with "one more time", and then their laser suits lighting up "tron" style. awesome.

1. Daft Punk (rediculous, i dont care if they are pressing buttons, i dont care if they are up there reading the newspaper with their ipods playing, that show was awesome)

2. My Morning Jacket (third time seeing them live, they really give Wilco a run for their money as best live rock act around)

3. Stephen Marley (i'm not really into reggae at all but i had so much fun at his set)

4. M.I.A. (despite sound troubles, she was awesome)

5. TV on the Radio/ Yeah Yeah Yeahs (two amazing performances, couldnt decide)

didnt really see anything i hated (other than polyphonic spree which sort of creeped me the fuck out)

other honorable mentions:

Illinois (never heard them until seeing them here but they were great)

Black Keys (only caught a bit of this set but sounded great)

The Roots

Peter Bjorn and John

Annuals

was pretty dissapointed saturday night... caught a bit of both headliners (Muse and Interpol) and was pretty bored by both

a great weekend overall though