"Ice Road Truckers" unappreciation thread

Bleh. This show sucks. I like my History Channel stuff to have black-and-white footage of explosions.

Although it is a rip-off of The Deadliest Catch, I watch it.

T.J.=Dale Gribble

Just like all the other channels - they are into doing their own shows now. So - there will be less and less of Hitler (which is a good thing). I rather like the show where the dude goes underground in various cities and towns.

I remember being really pumped to watch this show when the previews started a few months ago. I watched my first one last night and it was pretty lame. If it were an ice cream it'd be vanilla: not bad but when compared to what's out there very bland. Watching guys run out of gas and having tires change doesn't cut it for me.

Just like all the other channels - they are into doing their own shows now. So - there will be less and less of Hitler (which is a good thing). I rather like the show where the dude goes underground in various cities and towns.

Cities of the Underworld? I dig that one too. "No cameras have been permitted in this ancient tomb...until now!" (Queue dramatic music.)

I've checked Ice Road Truckers out a couple of times...it is a little disappointing in the excitement department but guys driving these huge loads across frozen lakes is something I didn't know about before. I was particularly intrigued by the show because I have brothers in the trucking business so I thought maybe watching it would give me fuel for future conversations I might have with them.

Bleh. This show sucks. I like my History Channel stuff to have black-and-white footage of explosions.

While usually empathetic towards those who've, for various reasons chosen dangerous professions I took one look at a clip where a guy was driving across the lake with the ice splitting beneath the wheels of the truck and exclaimed, "Dumbass!" then turned it off. Other than that , can't comment.

However, there's this thing on one of the channels called "Dogfights" which I've become smitten with. Especially the Kamikaze episode depicting the Luftwaffe ramming US bombers in mid-flight. How crazy was that? Pretty fu**in. More incredible some of those Nazi and Allied pilots survived and are interviewed on this show. Neat-O.

I enjoyed the first couple episodes, but only because I didn't know anything about ice roads and I found it intriguing. But I have no love for any of the truckers really, so it hasn't been able to hold my interest. I do love that camera angle looking at the trucks from under the ice though. Too bad they only have one shot and use it in every episode.

I think we are going to see more and more of these type of reality shows - as well as washed up celebrity reality shows. I ran across a show Saturday night that featured Lorenzo Lamas jumping over cars on a motorcycle. That must be the next step after infomercials and lifetime network movies. Last night, I noticed there was a movie about Princess Di on the Learning Channel. It's all weird.

i kind of love this show for some reason- not sure why as it is totally just a bunch of guys driving trucks on a scary road. as it is the history channel, it would be a lot cooler if they included more history/stories/interviews, etc on the old ice road and its development over time. they only briefly went over it in maybe an episode or two.

Has anyone else noticed that "shark week" has lasted about 3 weeks this year??

Also, I agree that History Channel is losing focus... but there are precedents.

Is "Dog the Bounty Hunter" Art or Entertainment?? A&E has SERIOUSLY lost their focus...

At least Gene Simmons was a bona-fide entertainer before his show started.

I watched a multi-part "reality" type thing about various groups' travels to Sturgis '06 on the Travel CHannel... That rocked.

There was a guy named Parts who was a member of the Ugly Motorcycle Club. Just a regular non-celebrity biker dude on his way to a rally...

Then Peter Fonda, the guy from Paul Mitchell shampoo, Paul Sr. (of OCC) and his merchandising maven, and a bunch of quasi-celebrity bike builders were also followed.

It was presented in a marathon format a couple weekends ago (Sturgis was this past week) and I watched the whole thing.

As for History and A&E, they are losing their core audiences of TV watchers who actually like to think... (places like ViaChicago are to blame for the exodus!!)

I guess they just have to cater to the remaining TV watchers, and their level of intellect.

I like the Intervention show.