Why didn't I cancel my RS subscription

Whenever I write a jokey photo caption for my paper, I think of Creem. Some great writing in that mag.

My dad has all the Creem magazines, they're really fun to look through. But RS really is a piece of shit, truly awful. I have a subscription to Uncut and Paste. I buy Under The Radar but I feel as though they've gone crazy on their reviews. Wilco a 5/10 and the new Modest Mouse 9/10, to me that's pretty ridiculous.

By all means, all of you are correct. It's opinion vs. opinion, and it's all based in pop culture. I will not renew. I just wanted to vent my frustration... :frusty

if it makes you feel any better, the punk rock world had the same issue when maximumrockandroll totally went down the shitter in the early/mid 90s. it's not just RS, but most music magazines. somehow i've started getting newsweek. i didn't subscribe, but whatever. anyway, it's a lot less substantial than it used to be. perhaps it's most periodicals in general that are sucking hard. i dunno. i really only get a couple news magazines and they're consistently good (the progressive, mother jones and my dad's leftover copies of the nation).

My dad has all the Creem magazines, they're really fun to look through. But RS really is a piece of shit, truly awful. I have a subscription to Uncut and Paste. I buy Under The Radar but I feel as though they've gone crazy on their reviews. Wilco a 5/10 and the new Modest Mouse 9/10, to me that's pretty ridiculous.
CREEM, "America's Only Rock 'n' Roll Magazine," was a monthly rock 'n' roll publication started in 1969 by Barry Kramer and founding editor Tony Reay. It suspended production in 1988.

That's a lot of issues.

If you haven't noticed, a lot of people here remember what the magazine was like 30 or even 40 years ago. ;)
Yikes 40 years ago....I do remember what it was like 38 years ago.....damn that was a long time ago...

LouieB

I had a subscription to Paste and loved it! I let it lapse around the time we had twins, but maybe now I'll get it back. RS seems to be good for the occasional issue, specifically their all-time greatest [fill in the blank] issue. I'm a sucker for those. Those and award shows... but I digress.

Also, I ended up with a sub to Blender due to United Airlines miles expiring and being forced to use them on magazines instead. I don't really recommend it. They might have one good article per issue. I now know way more about My Chemical Romance than I ever wanted to.

When I first began reading Rolling Stone, it was like a newspaper -

Me too.....it was still in the original format with the picture on the outside and the front page inside the fold and then opening like a tabloid.

LouieB

It's so damn liberal.
Yeah, even though I believe in liberal values I find it annoying that they always are so bias a la Fox News.

The magazine that employed and regularly published P.J. O'Rourke is "so damn liberal"? Hmmmm... :unsure

if it makes you feel any better, the punk rock world had the same issue when maximumrockandroll totally went down the shitter in the early/mid 90s. it's not just RS, but most music magazines.

You know what magazine I really miss? Flipside.

flipside was great. i also liked suburban voice because it came with a "free" 7" every issue. i still have the sam black church record they pressed somewhere.

I've still got a bunch of the SV 7"s...they used to get a lot of good bands to participate (like the awesome and underrated Doc Hopper). I think that 'zine is still going strong, although he tends to cover a lot more straight up hardcore now which kinda bores me.

The other great regional zine that's still going strong is Jersey Beat.

It has everything to do with what you're saying. You said "Every once in a while someone complains about how shitty RS is. If you haven't noticed, its been pretty much the same magazine for at least the past 10 years."

I'm saying that 30 years ago it wasn't nearly as shitty. Going back only 10 years misses the point completely.

umm ok...like i said, all that i was pointing out is that RS has been like this for quite some time now, i am well aware that the magazine has been around for more than 10 years

I'm saying that 30 years ago it wasn't nearly as shitty. Going back only 10 years misses the point completely.

Maybe not as shitty, but as stated before...it started to drift into a magazine just as much about pop culture and pop music more than 10-20-even 30 years ago.

22563_lg.jpg

well rating smashing pumpkins high is all a corporate package, gonna happen every time. Bands that have not mattered for quite sometime and are still on the corporate jock can always find some love at RS, some cuddlebug love, like carob chips & lettuce, this AGGRESSION WILL NOT STAND!