Favorite Beatles Song

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

every Beatles song is a fucking gem!

One day I admitted to myself that this was not true. I thought I would be struck dead the instant I thought it.....

But seriously, its funny how it feels like changing favorite Beatles albums or learning to appreciate your least favorite Beatle feels like a huge personal change. I used to thing Paul was nothing but a tool and that George was always a genius oppressed by egos. Turns out Paul had some streaks that beat the devil out of John's low points and George used to be a mediocre songwriter. He was however, oppressed by egos and later became an amazing songwriter.

• 5 months later...
So This thread hasn't been opened in awhile, so I thought I would revisit. My favorite Beatles song is "Let It Be" I was on a terrible flight the other day and this was the only thing I could listen to.

The version on the original Let It Be album is one of my favorite recordings ever. When he hits the wrong chord in the last verse that is one of my favorite moments in music history.

when i was a kid, it was I Should Have Known Better. loved that song as a 13-year-old

now ... probably across the universe

i remember the morning after john lennon was killed, we were in central park for a memorial and they had these huge speakers set up and david sancious was i think at the capital theater in passaic playing improv piano and they were piping it into the park. was amazing. i remember him playing something that morphed into across the universe and it just was devastating

The version on the original Let It Be album is one of my favorite recordings ever. When he hits the wrong chord in the last verse that is one of my favorite moments in music history.

I'm gonna have to go back to the original and listen

I'm Only Sleeping

She Said, She Said

Hey Bulldog

I've Just Seen a Face

one of those or 50 others.

Guest Hollinger
Guh?

Ok, so it's far from my favorite Beatles song... I just like bringing it up. It's easy to overlook it as fluff from Paul, but I've always loved it as simple, straight forward songwriting. Maybe I'm crazy.

I used to have a boot of Phish doing the entire White Album on New Years Eve and they did Don't Pass Me By as a pretty rockin' bluegrass tune. I wish I could find that again...

dcd

Two things.... Since I have yet to chime in, I'll add only this...

1. Nearly impossible to answer as moods and times change, but I'll say... maybe Something, Julia or Happiness.... (or the Abbey Road Medley ;p).

2. I *somehow* lost said boot, but in the process of searching, unearthed this jem:

Phish

11-02-98

E Centre, West Valley City, UT

1: Tube, Tube Jam -> Drowned -> Jesus Just Left Chicago, Driver*, Bittersweet Motel**, Limb by Limb, Wading in the Velvet Sea, Sample in a Jar

2: Down with Disease, The Mango Song, The Moma Dance^, You Enjoy Myself, Harpua^^ > (Speak to Me, Breathe, On the Run, Time, The Great Gig in the Sky, Money, Us and Them, Any Colour You Like, Brain Damage, Eclipse) > Harpua#

E: Smells Like Teen Spirit##

NOTE: Apparently, I only have set II.

Let me know if there's any interest....

Also, it looks like you can find Phish's take on the White Album on 'Live Phish 13':

Live Phish Vol. 13: 10/31/94, Glens Falls Civic Center, Glens Falls, New York [LIVE]

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Phish-Vol-13-Ce...ks_all_2#disc_2

http://www.phish.net/hpb/1994.html#10-31-94

Also, it looks like you can find Phish's take on the White Album on 'Live Phish 13':

Live Phish Vol. 13: 10/31/94, Glens Falls Civic Center, Glens Falls, New York [LIVE]

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Phish-Vol-13-Ce...ks_all_2#disc_2

http://www.phish.net/hpb/1994.html#10-31-94

So, I wonder if my boot was wrong- it wasn't NYE- or did they perform the White Album more than once? I'll have to pick that up with my Amazon gift certs I scored on my bday.

anyway,

dcd

I probably have 50 favorite Beatles tunes, but the one I always have to hear when I'm in a Beatles mood is "In My Life". That tune truly is "perfect".. The brilliant chord progression with the augmented 5th bass note (or whatever you want to call it for you music theory heads).. The piano solo.. The vocals.. It's just a brilliant song.