Worst Beatles Song

Guest Left Arm Tan
My understanding is that song was written about smoking the pot. If that is indeed true, I find it makes that song much more interesting.

that doesn't make the song any less irritating to me though.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revolution 9. What a fucking buzz kill. It's probably one of the few songs on I'll ever skip.

Somebody didn't get their fair share of LSD.

I was initally gonna reply to some of these other posts but I can't do it. Some of the songs you guys are ripping on I think is because of lyircal content as someone pointed out about Fool On The Hill; you need to look at the whole song.

Jesus, I meant the whole thing. Since I thought that line was the worst part of it, I pointed it out. Lyrics are important.

I have a friend who cannot stand the twangy guitar in "Ballad of John and Yoko", he'll demand it be skipped or leave the room.

he needs to grow up.

some are allergic to twangy guitars, don't mock the afflicted.

and besides the awkward line in Fool on the Hill, i feel the song comes across a little flat, McCartney seems like he's working a little too hard to get into it with his "whoa oh oh"s, we know he can ramble much better in Hey Jude. it is a good melody, because its Paul for chrissakes, we all know the Beatles don't do bad songs but i feel this is an example of how parts can be good, but the whole doesn't click.

I dunno, maybe I remembered it wrong, but I though it was in the book Yesterday, or maybe it was in Anthology? I just remember it being something like the other guys had been doing LSD and Paul never did, and so he wrote the song about his first trip, or something.

I'm probably wrong, now that everyone is saying I am.

Edit: According to wikipedia, Lennon said it was about LSD in Anthology, but Paul has revealed it was about pot.

From Many Years from Now (New York, Henry Holt and Company, 1997) by Paul :

"Got to Get You Into My Life" was one I wrote when I had first been introduced to pot. I'd been a rather straight working-class lad but when we started to get into pot it seemed to me to be quite uplifting. It didn't seem to have too many side effects like alcohol or some of the other stuff, like pills, which I pretty much kept off. I kind of liked marijuana. I didn't have a hard time with it and to me it was mind-expanding, literally mind-expanding.

So "Got to get You Into My Life" is really a song about that, it's not to a person, it's actually about pot. It's saying, 'I'm going to do this. This is not a bad idea.' So it's actually an ode to pot, like someone else might write an ode to chocolate or a good claret. It wouldn't be the first time in history someone's done it, but in my case it was the first flush of pot."

pp. 184-193.

Edit: Oops, I didn't see your edit, Chris. :cheers