Yeah, he's pretty great at guitar. You might want to check out John Renbourn too, if you haven't already - I actually prefer him a little bit more on average to Jansch. And don't forget about Pentangle who are the band that both men played in. (Light Flight - The Pentangle Anthology is a good place to start with them, if you don't want to fork out for all their albums).

I've been meaning to pick up that Pentangle anthology...

They (Pentangle) were playing in Cambridge recently - I take it not as the original, full line-up?

I have been enjoying the Liege and Lief album though. Great stuff. I'd also been recommended a band called Trees, know anything about them Richard?

I've been meaning to pick up that Pentangle anthology...

They (Pentangle) were playing in Cambridge recently - I take it not as the original, full line-up?

I have been enjoying the Liege and Lief album though. Great stuff. I'd also been recommended a band called Trees, know anything about them Richard?

Yeah, they're one of my favourite folk bands - Gnarls Barkley sampled them (for all you fact finders out there). On The Shore (their second album is perhaps their best - sounds a lot like Fairport), but their first album is great too. I need to pick up the remastered version of On The Shore, as my copy is a bit weak sounding. Mellow Candle are another band people should check out if they are into english folk.

I have his first album where, beside his amazing guitar playing ("Smokey River"!), you find a song that is a classic: "Needle of Death". It inspired Neil Young for another famous song, and I'm sure y'all guess which one.

I love Pentangle. I have their second album, Sweet Child, double CD. A delight.

and no relation with Jansch, but I LOVE Fairport Convention as well, especially the songs by (or sung by) Sandy Denny. My favourite is Unhalfbricking.