Blenders 10 most overpraised albums

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lupe's the truth in hip hop though.

:ermm did you watch that hip hop honors on vh1? i think his album was okay, but i about vowed to never listen to him again for the complete lack of respect for who he was 'honoring'. he's good, but not tribe good.

no disrespect B, but i can also think of 10 independent/underground hip hop artists i'd call 'the truth' over lupe. true hip hop isn't played...a majority of mainstream major label rap is played.

:ermm did you watch that hip hop honors on vh1? i think his album was okay, but i about vowed to never listen to him again for the complete lack of respect for who he was 'honoring'. he's good, but not tribe good.

no disrespect B, but i can also think of 10 independent/underground hip hop artists i'd call 'the truth' over lupe. true hip hop isn't played...a majority of mainstream major label rap is played.

I didn't catch the Hip hop honors, to be honest. What happened?

Yeah, I realize there are many underground guys who might have more to say, but overall, in terms of what he's saying and how he says it, I don't think there's any better right now.

(of course, I'm like the only perosn in the world who thinks Late Registration is on of the greatest hip hop albums ever, so what do I know?)

(of course, I'm like the only perosn in the world who thinks Late Registration is on of the greatest hip hop albums ever, so what do I know?)

Thanks to you, I am listening to that album for the very first time right now. I don't know why I never got around to it... I just never did.

I already dig Lupe, though.

Judging all of hip-hop by the work of "Puffy" is like drinking piss and swearing off water.

I agree, but I wasn't judging all of hip hop by Puffy... I just said that it is a law that anything featuring Puffy HAS TO suck...

A new ruling stipulates that this now includes any Sean John clothes or accessories, especially since he is in the new Macy's ads w/ Donald Trump and Martha Stewart (holding back vomit).

notorious b.i.g. is the lone puffy-ite with any juice.

"don't ask me if i write rhymes, i write checks."

Exactly...

Puffy shuffled through everyone's videos, and I hear he throws a mean party... So what??

So a few of you didn;t like that statement... For you, please tell me who (of todays hip-hop artists) is as important and relevant today as WuTang was in the early 90s??

Or as Public Enemy was in the late 80s??

What's that?? That's right... Nobody, that's who....

THAT was when hip hop was at it's peak, IMO...

To name anyone recording today and make any comparison to PE would be like comparing Blink 182 or Good Charlotte to the Clash...

I like very very few of the recent hip-hop artists... Common and Mos Def come to mind as shining examples of good hip hop... I like also like some of Wyclef's stuff.

If there are others I should be listening to, please post them.

God knows I can't count on radio anymore, and every good record store I used to go to are all gone.

Boards like this are really the only place I can go to to get turned on to decent new music.

BobBob, I own the first two Kanye CDs... They were OK, but they didn't seem to stay with me as much as they obviously stayed with you.

I won't be buying the new one.

Also, don't take it so personally.... I am not here to speak for anyone else, these are my opinions.

It's not like I wrote a magazine article about this or anything.

I agree, but I wasn't judging all of hip hop by Puffy... I just said that it is a law that anything featuring Puffy HAS TO suck...

A new ruling stipulates that this now includes any Sean John clothes or accessories, especially since he is in the new Macy's ads w/ Donald Trump and Martha Stewart (holding back vomit).

Exactly...

Puffy shuffled through everyone's videos, and I hear he throws a mean party... So what??

So a few of you didn;t like that statement... For you, please tell me who (of todays hip-hop artists) is as important and relevant today as WuTang was in the early 90s??

Or as Public Enemy was in the late 80s??

What's that?? That's right... Nobody, that's who....

THAT was when hip hop was at it's peak, IMO...

To name anyone recording today and make any comparison to PE would be like comparing Blink 182 or Good Charlotte to the Clash...

I like very very few of the recent hip-hop artists... Common and Mos Def come to mind as shining examples of good hip hop... I like also like some of Wyclef's stuff.

If there are others I should be listening to, please post them.

God knows I can't count on radio anymore, and every good record store I used to go to are all gone.

Boards like this are really the only place I can go to to get turned on to decent new music.

BobBob, I own the first two Kanye CDs... They were OK, but they didn't seem to stay with me as much as they obviously stayed with you.

I won't be buying the new one.

Also, don't take it so personally.... I am not here to speak for anyone else, these are my opinions.

It's not like I wrote a magazine article about this or anything.

Tell me who, of any artist ever is making music as relevant culturally as the Beatles in the 60's. That to me was the peak of music.

I think there's been plenty of great hip hop music released lately, but thats just me. I know plenty of people disagree, and I don't disagree with the statement that hip hop is past it's best time (which I think was early to mid 90's.)

Well, I don't think the song writing on that album is any good. And all the rest of the trimmings aren't enough to keep my interest. I'm not sure why I should be expected to bow to the consensus opinion in that case.

well of course not every one is going to like it but it seems like it gets bashed more than it should because its so praised.

Tell me who, of any artist ever is making music as relevant culturally as the Beatles in the 60's. That to me was the peak of music.

Bob Marley was fairly relevant....

Anytime your own country's oppressive leader makes a real attempt to assassinate you, you have graduated from entertainer to a person who is relevant in the political and social scene...

The Clash were somewhat relevant (note sarcasm).... John Lennon sang about a revolution, The Clash were a little more adamant.

For that matter, the entire punk movement was relevant....

What about the alternative movement of the early 90s?? Going from the "nothing but a good time" 80s hair metal shite to writing songs about what is actually happening good and bad in the World??

It was the 60s hippie movement (encompassing the Beatles) all over again, this time with some angst and fervor, with loud fast drumming and de-tuned power chords....

The aforementioned Public Enemy were very relevant... Essentially THE most powerful messages to come from arguably the most powerful musical movement ever (yes, hip hop)

I think there's been plenty of great hip hop music released lately, but thats just me. I know plenty of people disagree, and I don't disagree with the statement that hip hop is past it's best time (which I think was early to mid 90's.)

Hip hop in general used to be relevant, the music of the streets....

Now it's just another money grab.... and these dumb shit, uneducated, zero clue hip hop artists are not just perpetuating this, they are actually ACTIVELY PROMOTING AND PORTRAYING it as a massive money grab with all the jewelry and ridiculous looking shit they put in their mouths, waving handfuls of cash on videos, and walking around on Cribs talking about the $200k cars, and customized shit they own when most of the time they don't even know what it is... but they own it because it is another sign that they spent money.

Does anyone else find this as offensive to their sensibilities as I do??

I don't see it as "look how successful I am"... I see it as "look how much money I made off you idiots to provide you with a worthless, mindless, empty product".

Mind you, this is my opinion of the majority of hip hop, but not all hip hop....

I would bet that some of the more "relevant" hip hop artists also feel the same way, although they may be hesitant to voice such an opinion for fear of getting shot at the Hip Hop Honors, VMAs, or the BET awards or something.

If the artists only understood the actual power they had, and what they let slip through their fingers.

Chuck D really understood it... Not to many others did.

i would never disagree that there is a golden era of hip-hop and that we're definitely not in it right now. i guess i just get amazed when anybody holds what MTV shows or mainstream radio plays as a baseline for particular music genre's merit or relevancy. that's like saying 'rock music is dead' after seeing a good charlotte video. can you cite another popular NON-HIP HOP artist that is as politically chagred and relevant as PE was?

as far as artists TODAY that, while perhaps not as culturally/politically relevant as artists like PE, i would consider just as musically exciting, relevant and creative:

The Roots

MF Doom

Mos Def

People under the Stairs

Ohmega Watts

Madlib

Diverse

Lyrics Born

Giant Panda

and probbably umpteen more i haven't even heard.

hell yes. met him at one of our fraternity formals back in the day...he was staying at the same hotel we were.

this discussion made me double check and i'm excited to report that the new album by one of the new schoolers i mentioned, ohmega watts, is up on iTunes. i'm also happy to report it looks like a solid 2007 top-tenner. his MC skills, much like on his last release aren't revolutionary, but refreshing nonetheless in subject matter. he does up the ante on his strongsuit...behind the tables/boards. goddamn, the cornucopia of sounds and their orchestration by O into a unified train of musical thought is a sterling example of everything that can be beautiful about the genre. bravado-free music w/ a message you can wild out to...

j09756fzop0.jpg

I am glad that this hasn't turned into a bash session on what I have posted...

My eyes and ears, as well as my mind, are open. Keep the recommendations coming, and I will give them a fair shake.

Obviously, the Roots are a known quantity, and they definitely deserve to be excluded from my ass-ripping of the overall hip-hop scene.

It (should be) fairly obvious that I was a bug fan of the punk and post-punk movements... I feel that hip-hop today is where punk was in the mid/late-80s.

The fever pitch and the true message were long gone, and it was all about the neophytes who got in for the wrong reasons and had zero perspective.

The fever pitch and the true message were long gone, and it was all about the neophytes who got in for the wrong reasons and had zero perspective.

as a total old school hip-hop head, i'd never outright bash...because I agree w/ you from the perspective that mainstream hip-hop has lost it's original pulse in a lot of ways. it takes a lot of effort not to retreat into only listening to stuff i know i like from the golden era.

that said, hip hop...some of the classics even...haven't always had what i would consider an actual 'message'. actually, it's not even so much the actual lyrical content that turns me off from contemporary mainstream stuff nowadays, but the rehashed, plodding beats/hooks and lazy delivery over the top of them. the music itself is just stale and boring, even without the tired lyrical rap cliches.

i'm excited to report that the new album by one of the new schoolers i mentioned, ohmega watts, is up on iTunes. i'm also happy to report it looks like a solid 2007 top-tenner. his MC skills, much like on his last release aren't revolutionary, but refreshing nonetheless in subject matter. he does up the ante on his strongsuit...behind the tables/boards. goddamn, the cornucopia of sounds and their orchestration by O into a unified train of musical thought is a sterling example of everything that can be beautiful about the genre. bravado-free music w/ a message you can wild out to...

j09756fzop0.jpg

Your review compelled me to download this via eMusic. Listening now.